The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Default PETA's 10 Commandments of Horse Care/edit post #1

They are dangerous in more ways than one.

Imagine a total novice backyard horse owner and PETA devotee taking this as gospel without taking the INDIVIDUAL horse's needs into consideration?

I wouldn't give them a goldfish.

EDIT: I thought it was obvious that I was referring to the feed guidelines, but judging from some of the responses, it wasn't obvious. So JFTR, that was my main objection.

http://www.peta.org/living/companion...or-horses.aspx
    Last edited by michaleenflynn; Apr. 21, 2013 at 03:03 PM.
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

3 members found this post helpful.

Manure pile out of sight of the barn?
    Is the site of it traumatic to the horses or something?
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

20 members found this post helpful.

This is one of my favorites:

"No more than five droppings should be accumulated in one stall. (Immaculate stalls can mean that horses are eating their own feces in order to supplement their diet."

Say what? Are they counting piles or individual poop balls? Boy, I need to put in security camera so I can keep an eye on those poop balls through the day and night.

And then this comment:

"I own a horse, who whinnies to me everytime i come and call her name. I do parelli natural horsemanship, i dont need chains,whips,spurs,crops,a bridle, even a halter! i can ride her competley bareback, and bridless!"

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

13 members found this post helpful.

Wow, if PETA came here, they'd be horrified. My trough is not in the shade. It does not have a rock or log in it to help small critters get out. I don't clean it with baking soda. My manure pile is in full view of the horses. Yikes...think they'll call animal control on me?!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    This is one of my favorites:

"I own a horse, who whinnies to me everytime i come and call her name. I do parelli natural horsemanship, i dont need chains,whips,spurs,crops,a bridle, even a halter! i can ride her competley bareback, and bridless!"

Right up to the time the horse sees his first FedEx truck barreling up the road at 50 MPH..

39 members found this post helpful.

I would be fined by PETA...LOL

My horses are not stalled. They do have shelter to get into when they want. But, I wonder how they feel about poop in the pasture or turnout?

Cleaning my water troughs once a day with baking soda? So, I'm supposed to dump my 100 gallon water trough every day and scrub it? It gets rinsed about once a month. Although I do try to keep the water troughs in the shade but only due to the Texas heat.

Where I live, I have sandy soil and the horses that don't get much work only get their feet done when they need it which is rarely. It is basically a clean it up kind of thing.

And, my horses are in pasture, so 1/2 bale each day would be totally ridiculous. This time of year, I only grain once a day because of all the good grass. The first thing in a horses diet is forage/hay/grass. If they get plenty of this, sometimes they don't need grain at all.

Like someone said, it depends on the individual horse and how they are kept.

PETA are idiots!! But you all knew that...

5 members found this post helpful.

Can you send a PETA person over to my place? I, apparently, need help with my manure pile
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

11 members found this post helpful.

Ummm, I'm not sure what is to be gained by pointing this out, except for the PETA-lashers who seem to thrive on it for entertainment. I'm not in favour of radical anything (that'll I'll admit in public, LOL, no one wants to hear what I would really do with annoying children) --

That said, most of the article outlines a good standard of horsemanship. It certainly doesn't contain anything that would HARM the horse. If it makes someone go a little OCD with manure site location, so what??? So their farm is extra clean and they don't want to drown chipmunks? Horrors! (yes, that is sarcasm)

I guess I just get frustrated when people cannot approach issues independently. I know that the OP has quite a vendetta due to working in the carriage horse industry, but this article is NOT labeled as "commandments" and asks people to pay attention to detail and provide their horses with quality living arrangements. Information is no less valid just because you don't like the person that says it. If Beelzebub himself says, "YOUR HORSE SHOULD HAVE ACCESS TO CLEAN WATER!" it's still true.

22 members found this post helpful.

Well, it's condescending to those of us that know what we are up to, but telling some new horse owner a half bale of hay per horse per day is a GOOD thing - that gives them the idea about how much it really takes instead of thinking that one or two flakes in a dry lot is fine.

Not so sure about the fencing advice. Stable and strong - OK, big old nails sticking out and barbed wire are just dandy?

Whatever.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Ummm, I'm not sure what is to be gained by pointing this out, except for the PETA-lashers who seem to thrive on it for entertainment. I'm not in favour of radical anything (that'll I'll admit in public, LOL, no one wants to hear what I would really do with annoying children) --

That said, most of the article outlines a good standard of horsemanship. It certainly doesn't contain anything that would HARM the horse. If it makes someone go a little OCD with manure site location, so what??? So their farm is extra clean and they don't want to drown chipmunks? Horrors! (yes, that is sarcasm)

I guess I just get frustrated when people cannot approach issues independently. I know that the OP has quite a vendetta due to working in the carriage horse industry, but this article is NOT labeled as "commandments" and asks people to pay attention to detail and provide their horses with quality living arrangements. Information is no less valid just because you don't like the person that says it. If Beelzebub himself says, "YOUR HORSE SHOULD HAVE ACCESS TO CLEAN WATER!" it's still true.
    LOL, your post was written automatically in my head as I was hitting 'send' on my OP -- I knew it was coming from somebody, it always does

"Not in favor of radicals" (check) "but PETA lashers..." (check) "OP has a vendetta" (check)...and I even waffled for a moment on the title of the thread, because I knew someone would take issue with it LOL

What I did NOT expect is for a COTHer to say something as ridiculous as "It certainly doesn't contain anything that would HARM the horse."

Really?

The feeding instructions as they stand could sicken or even kill many, many horses. Where else in the horseworld would you find a one-size-fits-all prescription for feeding horses, not taking into account age, work, fitness, special needs, season, weight, and region? Like I said - a "ooh, I have enough land, I'm gonna get a horsie" type following these directions because PETA said so could be in trouble very quickly.

I like the idea about the rock in the trough for critters to get out.
    Last edited by michaleenflynn; Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:52 PM.

11 members found this post helpful.

Really wildlifer, telling a newbie horse owner that 2% of body weight in hay AND grain is appropriate? That's just down right irresponsible. You would kill my quarter horse.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Really wildlifer, telling a newbie horse owner that 2% of body weight in hay AND grain is appropriate? That's just down right irresponsible. You would kill my quarter horse.
    Thank yew.

1 members found this post helpful.

The problem I have with the article is that you can't generalize like that. Some horses need their feet trimmed every 4 weeks, not 8. In some areas of the country a vaccine schedule is different and feeding is very individual (it's 2% of Dry Matter not just hay) and so on. What they need to do is direct their members and readers to sound, equine education opportunities.

Most of the comments sound like that are from fairly new horse owners.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

4 members found this post helpful.

What they forgot the eiderdown quilt???

5 members found this post helpful.

As much as I dislike PETA I wholeheartedly approve of their horse care instructions. Oh sure they may be recommending more hay than the average airfern needs but in every horse care book I've ever read, 2% is the standard for hay.

I would highly recommend not bashing PETA, because you're only sinking to their level and that does not look good.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    As much as I dislike PETA I wholeheartedly approve of their horse care instructions. Oh sure they may be recommending more hay than the average airfern needs but in every horse care book I've ever read, 2% is the standard for hay.

I would highly recommend not bashing PETA, because you're only sinking to their level and that does not look good.
    Re-read their feeding instructions, then see my post above.

As for not "bashing" PETA - from my POV people who do NOT "bash" them look bad.

6 members found this post helpful.

My horses would think they'd died and gone to heaven if they got a half bale of hay a day.

Plus the "dietary supplement of grains, oats, or sweet feed" that I'm supposed to be giving them.

How many days do you figure before I foundered the pony-sized lightly-worked horses with 50# of alfalfa a day plus sweet feed?

9 members found this post helpful.

I'm a PETA hater too, but I see generalized information like this all over the internet. Unfortunately, it's not unique to PETA.

4 members found this post helpful.

It's not a terrible article, but 1/2 a bale in California would be 50 - 80 pounds of hay a day... and oat hay is yellow... as is Teff.

2 members found this post helpful.

I cannot stand PETA for more reasons than it's possible to list. But this is a pretty decent 'basic horse care' guideline. It's just that... a guideline. It tells a novice horse person what basic care needs to be given for a horse. If they accounted for every 'individual' need of a horse, it would be 50 pages long and STILL incomplete. Some of the things are a bit OCD, but nothing harmful or blatantly incorrect.

I'm all for bashing PETA for what they are doing wrong, but picking apart a short guide to horse care JUST because it's from PETA is just petty.

13 members found this post helpful.