The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Default Anyone ever find their perfect house and not get it?

Have you shopped for a home, walked in the door of one for sale and just knew it was YOUR home--and then didn't get it due to the deal not working out? I did this and am still trying to find another that I feel that way about. It's like finding that guy you connect with right away, or that horse that you know is yours and you need to buy it. That sort of feeling.

I want my next house to be like that. I found one and didn't get it. Now I'm half-hearted in my shopping efforts. Anyone else go through this? How did it finally work out for you?
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Yes. It took about another year but we found one even more perfect for us. Well, it wound up being a serious fixer upper which we weren't planning on but it ended up perfect!

It's been more than a year for me. It's very frustrating. I just don't want to settle--again.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

i have and was broken hearted for a few months.

but we have a new plan to sell this and travel while dh can, and we couldn't be happier about it. that place would have trapped us with a HUGE mortgage and the stress which goes with that.
    it worked out best for us, i hope it does for you too.

here's a long story for you though...
    this home we have for sale was my dream home many years ago.
    my ex-dh and i moved to vt in april of 1981. a few weeks go by and we're put-putting in our volkswagon hippie bus around the state exploring and we drove by this house. for whatever reason i recognized it i guess, because i just knew someday it would be mine.

fast forward until summer of 1988 and i am a divorced single mom placing an offer on a small house near the elementary school in the village. i didn't get the place and was very upset about it. until that night when i dreamed that it was all unfolding as it should, because i was meant to buy a house on the water. in my dream it was a house on a pond in another town, but i woke up relieved about it anyway. i rent a big old house, get a few housemates and continue to look for a place to call home again.
    november first at breakfast my housemate asks me if i had spoken to the women dressed as peter pan at the halloween party we'd been at the night before.
    nope, why?
    guess what house she owned and was selling and had mentioned it to my housemate during the party.
    i called her, drove over and as i realized it was 'my' house, i knew it was meant to be.
    i got out of my car and wrote her a check before going into the house!!!

she was so stunned by my story that she made sure i got the place, though it took me 9 months to secure the loan.

i'll be here 24 years in august if it hasn't sold by then.

2 members found this post helpful.

Very cool!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Any time I've chosen a house, and didn't get it I was very glad eventually. My parents chose between two houses years ago, lost out on the first and got the second. The first house turned out to be seriously flawed, with a leaky basement, snow melt always pooled in front, and it had continuing mold problems because of the leaky basement.

The older house I looked at in Colorado turned out to have serious foundation issues, and was actually falling apart. The newer house I didn't choose turned out to have the HOA from hell, with seriously nutso neighbors.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

yes, and I'm still a bit bitter over it mainly because I had to go from buying a farm to buying a subdivision home and boarding. On the bright side, I never would have found my wonderful dressage horse had I not been forced into boarding again.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

We did. But, it was a long way away and the commute just wouldn't have been fun. At least that's what I told myself. We did settle on another one a couple of months later. I think moving into a new house helped me just move on.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Any time I've chosen a house, and didn't get it I was very glad eventually. My parents chose between two houses years ago, lost out on the first and got the second. The first house turned out to be seriously flawed, with a leaky basement, snow melt always pooled in front, and it had continuing mold problems because of the leaky basement.

The older house I looked at in Colorado turned out to have serious foundation issues, and was actually falling apart. The newer house I didn't choose turned out to have the HOA from hell, with seriously nutso neighbors.

Yes. And I found this one, which is now my perfect house. It's always perfect until you actually have to deal with whatever the downfalls are. Then, you make it your perfect house.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, my house was perfect too I just bought it and moved in Tuesday! Wednesday I spent $500 on plumbing issues, Friday about $800 for a new water heater and install

But, even with the fact that I will be poor for a while, I still love my little "perfect" house

Did I mention the stove clicks loudly and continually when you bake? And, the manufacturer and Google assure me that it is normal? Oh my LOL!!

Keep looking, it will come.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Yes. I found a hand-built log home that seemed to be made for me, but I was kicked out of the contract when my duplex's buyer changed her mind. It took a while for me to get over it. You'll get over it.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Yes. And I still wish I had gotten that house.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

If this is a standard house plan, then I bet there are quite a few others out there that look fairly similar. The right place will come along at the right time, and I'm sure of that.

From looking at realtor.com, and other house sites over the years, I think about 90% of the house plans are so generic these days that when looking at house pictures you can't tell where they are by the way the houses look.

Yes, but more than once - so there is more than one perfect house!!

But will also add, my perfect house didn't work without a good relationship. Am in a funky place right now, that was going to be remodeled ASAP. Hasn't been, but still have loads of pleasant memories and daily reminders of good times here.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I will also warn shoppers, however, that from early training in real estate, and from experience, this is why you don't show houses out of a price range or other ill fitting variables, to a prospective buyer.

1) Then the buyer may want something with all the bells and whistles like this one had, but will probably not find it in their price range, 2) it's a waste of time for everyone and creates only bad feelings, and 3) because of the bad feelings/experience, there's a good chance you'll lose that customer.

Always best to stay within the price and terms that work for you. Real estate buying is so personal and emotional (usually). Should try to avoid possible negative experiences as much as you can.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Yes....found the perfect townhouse. Two days before the closing the deal fell through. I was crushed. On the day I was scheduled to move in the DEA showed up at the next door neighbor's and a shoot out ensued. An officer was killed. It was a very nice complex....so nice that some big drug lord bought a house for his daughter. Several months later I ended buying a much nicer place I could not have afforded, but I just happened to luck into a foreclosure. Things work out the way they are supposed to.

Yes, it was a stunning log cabin on 5 acres! The house had been remodeled but the barn need to be torn down, it needed new fencing, and some out buildings removed. It was at the top end of our price range and we were worried we could not afford to do everything. I think about it often

Just to clarify a few things. My perfect house was one I found that was well within my price range and was older (had been updated) and was not typical. It was something only a small group of people would love. Oh, and the deal fell apart due to a evil flipper who owned it. (They got it in a foreclosure, three some lipstick on it, lied in their listing about certain features and were inflexible on the price--which no bank would have thought was reasonable.)
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Yes, lost due to my SIL's grubby paws on the estate proceedings my DH was due. She was the executrix and determined not to share out the funds. We had to hire a lawyer to pry her hands off it. Offered the owner a substantial down payment and asked her to hold the note for a year while the estate was being settled, but she had been burned by the previous people she had financed and refused. She finally sold the house over a year later (note timing) for $60K less than we offered. We ended up eventually buying a farm in Ocala, but I still dream of that house. 3 bedroom 3 bath, 3000 sf, inground sports pool, 18+ acres with its own lake and island, so-so barn, but completely fenced, just below Sebring.

I hate my SIL. What we have is nowhere comparable to the house we lost.
    Everybody lies - Gregory House, M.D.