The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

go to the health food store and get Electro-Mix, its the same company that makes Emergen-C. Put that in your water. You need the potassium, electrolytes and other things your body sweats out. I like the lemon flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by *Trinity* View Post
    I've never been able to drink Gatorade or Powerade. I drink about half and the sugar in them makes me feel sick.

ETA: I read though the thread and there were a couple of posts that said that people were afraid of may based salads/sammies because if the heat. Its actually onions that go bad and make people sick. (that being said 100+* mayo is not good for you either) but if you are going to premake salads; tuna, chicken, pasta, etc. just omit the onion and you should be good to go!

PB&J, definitely. (Although I use regular whole wheat bread and none of those "weird grain bread" types with seeds and crap that gets stuck in your teeth. Yick.)

I try to make an effort to eat a banana before XC, as I've read that it helps calm nerves. No idea if it works, but I've been doing it for years and haven't barfed yet!

Also -- diet coke and Goldfish Grahams for the ride home. (http://www.pepperidgefarm.com/Produc...4&prdID=121091 )
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Evan a hint of coconut flavor makes me heave. And I don't like drinking endosperm on general principles.
    HA! You owe me a new keyboard...

Curlykarot, the peanut butter bars sound yummy! Do you have problems with them getting melty and difficult to hold in the hand? In the past I've had better luck refrigerating peanut butter and honey based bars. Does the dry milk hold these together better than the usual?
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    HA! You owe me a new keyboard...

Curlykarot, the peanut butter bars sound yummy! Do you have problems with them getting melty and difficult to hold in the hand? In the past I've had better luck refrigerating peanut butter and honey based bars. Does the dry milk hold these together better than the usual?
    I've only had them once and I wasn't the one who made them. They were wrapped in wax paper and didn't get all melty. I'm sure if you are at a horse show in 100 degree heat it wouldn't hurt to pop them in a cooler. But they are tasty - and filling!

I can't believe nobody has mentioned pickles. I love eating pickles especially during the hot show days.

Bump for a helpful thread! (Well... bump because I'm hungry)
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

Love all the suggestions, but noticed a lot of people love nuts/PB&J/etc as a nice, easy way to get protein. I saw a few other suggestions, but for those with peanut/nut allergies, any other easy protein suggestions would be great! (Most protein bars tend to be out too since they usually contain or are made around nuts ... Nut allergies suck).

I had a "superfood" salad last week that I really liked. It was edamame, shredded carrot, blueberry, dried cranberry, peanuts, and some kind of green like curly endive. All in a light dressing. Really good. Oh, a nd grape tomatoes also.
    Last edited by pheasantknoll; May. 3, 2013 at 10:26 AM. Reason: forgot ingredient

Great thread. My first show I took nothing and basically ate nothing all day. It wasn't too bad -I don't eat a whole lot during the day. This time though I'm going to take water, string cheese, cottage cheese and gatorade.

My horse is a bit like me I guess. Fella didn't drink very well so my trainer had me get him some gatorade. I didn't know what his flavor preference was so I bought lime!

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I'm usually a fruit and cheese n crackers sort of gal. And of course a nice glass of a sweet refreshing wine awaiting me at the end of my rides
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.