The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    On super, super hot days, sometimes the only thing I can stomach is melon, ice cold.
    Oh yes, that and cucumbers. Those are my go to brutal hot day foods. They're cold, crisp, and have some water to them.

Well these are from my fieldwork repertoire, but they'll work for horse show food too! I usually don't have a cooler with me, so everything either sits in my car or gets thrown in my backpack with a lot of other junk.

When I'm working outside I buy a big tin of gatorade powder because it's cheaper and I can adjust how much gatorade mix I want. If it's hot out I'll alternate a Nalgene of gatorade with a Nalgene of regular water. Otherwise I save the gatorade bottle for mid-afternoon when I start running out of energy. The tin is also nice because you don't have to carry around 4 bottles of the stuff, just the tin and a refillable bottle. Another way I encourage myself to drink more water is by squeezing some lemon in there or throwing in a few mint leaves.

I gotta be honest, PBJ is my basic. It can take a beating and still be edible and you don't have to worry about meat going bad. I'll pack two, one for lunch and one an 'emergency sandwich' when I get extra hungry.

For snacks I'll bring some cereal, cucumber slices or celery sticks in baggies, and apples. I like that apples are another food that can take a licking in the backpack! And I love Clif bars-they come in some delicious flavors that can give me my sweet fix as well as fill me up with some energy. I'll often have one for breakfast on the go.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I used to get horrible headaches in the heat. No matter what I drank or ate, I would get them like clockwork at shows, and no painkillers would help:P I basically accepted that it was just one of those things. THEN I discovered coconut water!! Holy cow, what a difference! One can a day and no headaches!! I buy the Blue Monkey brand, they have canned water and the packets you can mix into a water bottle which are super handy: www.bluemonkeydrinks.com Definitely a horse show staple for me now

I'm also very guilty of not "having time" to eat at horse shows, so I stock up on low sugar granola bars, lunchables, and I recently stared making these: http://www.naturally-obsessed.com/ra...an-gluten-free And they are very awesome. Quick and easy to make, great to snack on on the go, not too heavy, but eating a few is satisfying enough to to tide you over for a few hours. And there are all sorts of different recipes for different tastes and preferences if you google them.
    Eventing It Up In The Great White North! A girl, a horse, and a helmet cam!!
    http://albertaeventer.blogspot.com/

Diluted ice blue freeze Gatorade for me. At home we have the powder so I can control the strength. Gag with the original orange and green flavors.
    Love to keep the yogurt shooters in the cooler, lets me eat without destroying to the nervous stomach.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Great thread. I have good intentions to pack healthy things then get in a packing panic the day before I leave and all my bean sprout dreams go out the window. I end up eating horse show food which I am embarrassed to admit I actually like but know it is horrible for me. I do find that munching on Almonds or some other kind of nuts gives me energy without the crash.

I gotta be honest, PBJ is my basic. It can take a beating and still be edible and you don't have to worry about meat going bad. I'll pack two, one for lunch and one an 'emergency sandwich' when I get extra hungry.
    I almost think they're best when they're beat up a little bit!

Check out some backpacking/hiking recipes. If you have a dehydrator they're great for drying fruits that can be stored for long periods of time and don't take up much room.

PB&J, G2 (the less sugary version of gatorade), hard boiled eggs, diet ginger ale to help settle my stomach.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Hard boiled eggs is my go to protein for show mornings (we usually bunk over in the gooseneck overnite).

My fav carry food (Rolex) is dry hard salami with sharp cheddar cheese in pita pockets. Easy to pack around, not messy and light wgt too! Maybe a little carry bottle of white zin to go with it, some hummus and pepper slices. I'm sitting there eating this and folks go by and ask where I got it!
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

1 members found this post helpful.

I recently started eating Paleo and it has made a huge difference but I do struggle with finding "quick" meals and snacks. I have a lot more energy and just feel better. Some easy foods I've found are the staples of Jerky and nuts. I buy nuts in bulk at Sams Club and mix them into individual baggies. I also really like chicken salad with curry powder. It's cool, easy to grab and the curry powder gives it a different flavor. I can't eat fruit until the afternoon or evening because my blood sugar crashes. Lara Bars are great too because they have fruit and nuts and that's about it. Cut up veggies with a sour cream/dry spice dip are good. Look for the storage containers for salads. They have a little cup in the lid for salad dressing so I put the dip in there and the veggies in the large container. Looking forward to more suggestions from other people!

Wegman's have a good trail mix with m&m's, almonds, raisins, etc. Trader Joe's also has a good selection of trail mix. I'm also a fan of pbj's.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Food:
    Yogurt
    Nuts
    Fruit (esp. bananas, and watermelon or grapes if hot outside)
    Cut up veggies (carrots, celery, cucumbers) with hummus or tzatziki
    Cheese (sliced cheddar or cheese sticks)
    Roasted veggies (carrots or brussels sprouts or broccoli or bell peppers...you get the idea!) with olive oil and salt--good warm or cold. The oil helps me feel full.
    Roast beef (not from the deli), cut into sticks. Great with cheddar slices.
    Gluten free bagel or toast with almond butter and jam or honey.
    I can't stand tuna salad on a nervous stomach, and although I like chicken salad, I don't want to have to worry about mayo on a hot day. Same with lunch meat.

As others have said, I focus on protein and veggies, with minimal carbs and sugar.

Drinks:
    Coconut water
    Very diluted Gatorade
    Some version of lemonade. My 2 favorites:
    -frozen lemonade mix, mixed with seltzer instead of flat water
    -lemon juice and water (either flat or seltzer) to make weak lemonade, then add a bit of honey and sea salt.
    Ginger beer--lots more ginger than "ginger ale" and therefore better for a nervous stomach.
    Brewed, iced herbal tea--preferably a tart flavor with lots of hibiscus and rosehips, or mint tea with a bit of honey.

Thanks for all the replies! Lots of good ideas. Other than chips, pop, cookies, and PB&J. I can't believe some of you survive the day on that crap - lol! My body would crash.

Coconut milk is a great idea, but don't you worry about... hmm... how do I put this... isn't coconut milk a laxative?

What are Pepitas?

Pepitas are raw pumpkin seeds- you can buy them with or without the shell. I actually put the de-shelled ones in my oatmeal every morning!
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

I love this recipe in the summer, I make a half batch and it's four or five lunches worth:

http://mynewroots.org/site/2010/06/t...-salad-ever-2/

Coconut milk and coconut water are two vastly different things.

Both incredibly nasty, if you ask me.
    Click here before you buy.

coconut water just tastes like normal water with a very slight hint of coconut. They also have flavored varieties, the mango is my fav. It's not a laxative as far as I know and just helps keep you hydrated.

coconut water just tastes like normal water with a very slight hint of coconut. They also have flavored varieties, the mango is my fav. It's not a laxative as far as I know and just helps keep you hydrated.

Quote Originally Posted by *Trinity* View Post
    Thanks for all the replies! Lots of good ideas. Other than chips, pop, cookies, and PB&J. I can't believe some of you survive the day on that crap - lol! My body would crash.
    I think something that is important to keep in mind is that calories are not limited to what you perceive as "heavy" food. One person might devour a meat and cheese sandwich loaded with a fatty dressing and consume 600 calories. Another person might have a piece of fruit, snack through vegetables and hummus, eat a salad, and then eat a large serving of trail mix and eat 400-600 calories depending on what was in the salad and trail mix. Some people do better with a single heavy meal and others prefer to snack.

I do much better with a pure protein bar, string cheese, and a fruit salad over the course of two hours then if I try to inhale a grilled cheese from the food stand. Once I am done working or showing I can and will go to town on some unhealthy greasy food but when I am on the move it makes me feel awful.

Evan a hint of coconut flavor makes me heave. And I don't like drinking endosperm on general principles.
    Click here before you buy.