The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Food at Shows - Any Energy Packed Recipes?

Can we share recipes for food ideas to pack for shows? I'm going to try my hardest to avoid buying food at shows this year. Not only is it expensive, but I nearly always end up with low energy and a headache at the end of the day. Gluten free recipes are great, but not neccessary. I generally stay overnight and take a cooler, but will be getting a generator for my fridge/microwave.

I'll start us off with one of my staple recipes:

Cold Tuna Salad
    Mix 1 can tuna with cooked gluten free pasta (I like the spirals). Add some mayo and Three Cheese Ranch dressing in equal parts until all pasta is coated and tuna stirs evenly. Add dried cranberries, walnuts, chopped celery, and some grated cheddar cheese (or anything else you like!). Eat cold.

A student of mine tried this and said she was bouncing off the walls in 20 minutes WITHOUT the crash afterwards. Sounds great for before XC or the long drive home... maybe not so much before dressage.

Energy Shot
    2 tbs coconut oil, melted
    1 tsp chia seeds

1 members found this post helpful.

I always pack food, I'm broke anyway. But my staples for energy are my body weight in protein bars, lots of gatorade, and I have 2-liter-per-day water rules for myself. Just that makes a massive difference.

I've never been able to drink Gatorade or Powerade. I drink about half and the sugar in them makes me feel sick.

Quote Originally Posted by *Trinity* View Post
    I've never been able to drink Gatorade or Powerade. I drink about half and the sugar in them makes me feel sick.
    Try the diet versions - G2 and Powerade Zero.

I am THE WORST at planning ahead for horse show food. Thank GOD I travel to a few shows a year with slp2, who feeds me.

But if I were, in reality, going to be a smart person and pack ahead, I would take stuff like peanut butter, trail mix, and portable fruit. (bananas, apples) Peanut butter on a tortilla is a perfect meal. Trail mix is great for grabbing a couple handfuls on your way to walk the course, or while driving. And diet Dr. Pepper. Plenty of diet Dr. Pepper.

I hate water--hate it--and can only stomach a few of the flavored waters, specifically whatever one is the Fuji Apple/Pear flavor. Never the calorie-filled ones, gross. But I only drink water and fluids because I know I "need to". I never feel thirsty and seemingly am a human camel.

I also have a pathological weakness for Yoo-Hoo for some unknown reason. Probably my NJ background--chemicals, yum! I only ever drink it at horse shows but it seems to quench my nonexistent thirst and provide a good feeling of fullness and energy. I know chocolate milk is now the trendy thing--maybe that's why, as it is a chemical facsimile of chocolate milk!
    Click here before you buy.

Fruit is key. A bit of PITA to prepare but nice natural sugar that you can share. I find the best 'event' fruit to be grapes, apples, pears, bananas. All easy to throw in a bag/tupperware as needed and off you go.

For drinks, I'm a big fan of vitamin water. My stomach can't take gatorade so vitamin water/juice for energy and lots of water bottles to rehydrate. Freeze the waterbottles and they will do double duty for you in keeping your cooler cool. I've actually also taken freezies (the big ones) to local one day events - they stay surprisingly frozen, keep the cooler cold and are a nice refreshing treat. Just watch them with white breeches!

Your tuna salad sounds delicious.

I am a rather simple eater on the go. Bananas are great, Apples (you can eat and share with the horse), greens, just a giant container of spring mix lettuce with spinach, tomato and cucumber. Easy to pack ahead of time and bring some oil based dressing. I eat tuna straight out of the can, so that's easy enough. Greek yogurt. Hard boiled eggs. I try to eat protein, fruits, and vegetables. I don't use anything with bread, noodles/pasta, crackers etc. I don't care if they're gluten free, just a no go. Honestly, if I eat that way sans heavy carbs and wheat my energy stays more steady throughout the day, and I don't get any lagged down feeling. If you like different veggies toss them chopped in a container, add some olive oil or whatever seasoning. Shake it up and eat.

2 members found this post helpful.

This sounds good!

Can we share recipes for food ideas to pack for shows? I'm going to try my hardest to avoid buying food at shows this year. Not only is it expensive, but I nearly always end up with low energy and a headache at the end of the day. Gluten free recipes are great, but not neccessary. I generally stay overnight and take a cooler, but will be getting a generator for my fridge/microwave.

I'll start us off with one of my staple recipes:

Cold Tuna Salad
    Mix 1 can tuna with cooked gluten free pasta (I like the spirals). Add some mayo and Three Cheese Ranch dressing in equal parts until all pasta is coated and tuna stirs evenly. Add dried cranberries, walnuts, chopped celery, and some grated cheddar cheese (or anything else you like!). Eat cold.

A student of mine tried this and said she was bouncing off the walls in 20 minutes WITHOUT the crash afterwards. Sounds great for before XC or the long drive home... maybe not so much before dressage.

Energy Shot
    2 tbs coconut oil, melted
    1 tsp chia seeds

This is why I always get the G2 (way less sugar) then dilute it in half with water. Makes a big difference!

It always makes me feel sick, too. Even the lighter versions. Try coconut water! It's like super healthy gatorade.

I live off of beef jerky. Too many carbs make me feel yucky, so I have to go with protein. Beef jerky, coke and bottles of water. Oh and Bella and I like to split Pop Tarts. I really need to stop eating like a 17 year old HS student! Ooh! String cheese! I LURV string cheese!

I also have a weakness for "food tent food." It sounds yucky, but I eat a huge greasy cheeseburger with all the trimmings after I'm done riding for the day. Oh and a beer! I apparently have no taste and love Coors Light at shows. lol!

I have never liked Gatoraide, but when I was at a clinic a couple weeks ago, one of the volunteers gave me a G2 and I really liked it.

I need to make something for lunch today (and pb&j is getting a little old), so I think I'm going to give the tuna salad a try! Thanks for the recipe!
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

These are really good. I did a 5k on one of these. Super easy to make too.

Peanut butter power bars

1/2 cup peanut butter
    2/3 cup corn flakes, crushed
    3 tbsp honey
    1/3 cup nonfat dry milk

Knead ingredients together. Form into 6 sticks and wrap individually in wax paper. Store in an airtight container.
    Last edited by curlykarot; Apr. 21, 2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: spelling

You can make your own gatorade type beverage, one part water, one part fruit juice and a dash of salt. My nutritionist recommends orange juice or grapefruit juice for the potassium but any juice will work, just make sure you eat a banana...
    Freedom is the ability not to care what the other person thinks...

Got air?! Member of the Asthmatic Riders Clique

PB & Js and gummy bears.

Speaking of which, I need to stock up on gummy bears.

2 members found this post helpful.

I usually live off of Cliff bars and Gatorade at shows, which probably is NOT very good (I should probably stop). I am one of those weird people who REALLY likes Gatorade, but I found out I really like the Vita-coco coconut water mixed with fruit juice so i will probably switch over to that. I like this thread! The mods should sticky it
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

PB&J is nature's perfect food.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    PB&J is nature's perfect food.
    While the gummy bears were a joke (kinda), I do usually have at least 2 PB&Js in the truck on show days. If I'm suffering from major show nerves, I can usually scarf a few bites down at a time to keep me going until I'm done. Otherwise, they are super easy to eat (I often don't eat before I leave the house, but will eat in the truck on the way to the event), yummy, and have good protein, whole grains (I use very whole grainy bread), and a little sugar boost with the jam. Good stuff.

I do usually have some fruit (apples or pears, usually), which I can almost always eat if I'm REALLY nervous, and the sugar will push me through to the end of my day. I'd probably be cool with some good pasta salad (with LOTS of chunky veggies), or, my new obsession, chick pea salad. But, I'm never, ever that prepared. I can slap a few PB&Js together easily.

I'm a BIG drinker, so I drink lots and lots of water. I'll usually bring along a couple of bottles of flavored fizzy water (unsweetened) as I can sometimes get a little turned off of plain water when I'm a little wound up. I'll usually have one or two Gatorades in the hotter months (again, the sugar actually helps me keep going if I'm not eating well). And I usually have my prerequisite Coke at some point (I don't drink soda, usually). And, occasionally, a beer in celebration or mourning

Re: hydration options- just found a new tablet that is a sugar-free, effervescent, electrolyte replacement, Gatorade-esque (but zero yuck) option at the grocery store. It's called "nuun" and comes in the tubes that airborne does Tried the lemon-lime (good) & tropical (eh..) flavors so far. Drop one in a nalgene for après gym/barn/etc & I like to drink it. Plus only 5 calories a tab

For gluten-free, I've made a mix of pepitas, raisins and a few marcona almonds. Wads up to stuff in pockets which is nice also a fan of Luna bars (though not tons of protein) & another one I found in the refrigerated section that of course I cant remember the name of-- it's gluten free, dairy free, about 15g protein.
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

On super, super hot days, sometimes the only thing I can stomach is melon, ice cold.

We bring lunch meat, bread, and cheese for sandwiches.

M&M's (peanut butter for me, plain for my trainer)

Some kind of cookies (usually the knock off caramel/coconut girl scout cookies and something chocolate and mint)

Salt and vinegar chips for my trainer and cheetos or sour cream and onion chips for me.

Sliced veggies and ranch dip.

I like G2 and LOVE Propel. And a case of water.