The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Send them or keep them home?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Send them - more free time for me

14 29.79%
  • Keep them home- not going to miss much anyway.

25 53.19%
  • Send them only if it doesn't interfere with family routine

8 17.02%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would you keep them home or send them...

Schools went over the allotted 'snow days' for the year. Schoolboard backed themselves into a corner with poorly written teacher contracts (summer break starts June 4).

To meet the state mandated # school days there will be 3 early release days on Sundays. Would you send kids or keep them home.

Side note its a private school and we will not be returning next year.

at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA

Keep them home, no one wants to be in school on a Sunday, students or teachers.

2 members found this post helpful.

No. The weekends are family time. If they didn't get their job done during the week, like they were paid to do, it's their problem, not mine. I would simply ask for the reading assignments and whatever other topics being discussed those days and, if I thought it was necessary, do a little homeschooling on those days instead.
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

3 members found this post helpful.

Why sundays? We went in on saturdays...and most of us went in our pajamas
    I wouldn't go though...IME it's been a waste of time because the teachers never really planned anything, we were just there to be there. We watched movies and stuff, so pretty much things we could've done at home on our own time.
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

1 members found this post helpful.

i am of the opinion that school on sunday is wrong. plain and simple. even if i thought thy were going to learn the holy grail on that day i would keep them home on principle

Quote Originally Posted by CS View Post
    Schools went over the allotted 'snow days' for the year. Schoolboard backed themselves into a corner with poorly written teacher contracts (summer break starts June 4).

To meet the state mandated # school days there will be 3 early release days on Sundays. Would you send kids or keep them home.

Side note its a private school and we will not be returning next year.
    They need to check into a possible double session day.... Whatever the mandated minimum attendance hours is then dismiss class then break then start day two while everyone is still there

I "believe" the minimum hours in many states is 4 clock hours

They need to think like a governemt dude rather than a real person

I would send them- it's never too early to learn that sometimes things suck and you have to do them anyway. My mother would have definitely sent me.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    No. The weekends are family time. If they didn't get their job done during the week, like they were paid to do,
    That's a bit uncalled for, I think. It isn't like they were sitting around drinking coffee...if the school was closed because of weather issues, it is out of staff control.
    That being said, weekends are a time of rest for families and students alike.
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Send them the first time and see what the teachers are "teaching". My daughter's school did this after a very bad winter and the teachers were as pissed off as the kids and showed movies. After the first Saturday, she just stayed home.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I'd send them to the first one, but as a teacher, I cannot imagine why Sunday was chosen?!! If this is a religious private school, perhaps they are planning those kinds of lessons? Can you ask the office what exactly is planned on those days?

We have exhausted our planned snow days many times, but in a public school setting we must complete full days after the end of the regular school year to meet state required 180 attendance days. We'll finish this year on June 19, without any make up days.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    I would send them- it's never too early to learn that sometimes things suck and you have to do them anyway. My mother would have definitely sent me.
    Kinda how I feel. When ya owe, ya owe. I remember being "punished" for attending the Paralympics as a groom, which went about two weeks into the beginning of the school year, by having to do "detention" until 5pm, every day for about a month to make up chair time... Sucked, sure, but everyone knew it wasn't punishment.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

One fact not stated: how would it affect their being promoted to the next grade level if they did not meet the required number of school days?
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThbd View Post
    That's a bit uncalled for, I think. It isn't like they were sitting around drinking coffee...if the school was closed because of weather issues, it is out of staff control.
    That being said, weekends are a time of rest for families and students alike.
    Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    No. The weekends are family time. If they didn't get their job done during the week, like they were paid to do, it's their problem, not mine. I would simply ask for the reading assignments and whatever other topics being discussed those days and, if I thought it was necessary, do a little homeschooling on those days instead.
    that's more than uncalled for, it's offensive and rude. i don't know what your problem with teachers is, but you come across as a real jerk when you talk about them.
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

double post (even though it does bear saying twice O_o)
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

Are there any in service or half days between now and the end of the school year? My school would cancel those to make up for the extra snow days, or if it was early enough, take it out of our spring break. (parents didn't send me then, we had an expensive trip planned to Florida)

From my experience, on these "make up days" we would just combine classes and watch movies or play games all day. The teachers will be pissed, so I doubt they will be doing anything more then that in your kid's classes.

Another thing to keep in mind: how are your children doing in school? Voluntarily missing days may negatively impact their learning if they are struggling in any subjects or fall behind due to missed lessons.
    ***Honorary Member of the "What is BOSS?" Cult...er...CLIQUE***
    ***Prominent Member of the 'Irrelevent Posters Clique'***
    CrayolaPosse ~ Bluegreen

All I know is that there is no way my mother would ever be asking on the 1960s equivalent of the Internet whether or not to follow the scheduled school year. Why is this up for discussion? It sucks but apparently so did the weather.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

To remove a few questions from the discussion... 'school district' is comprised of 15 area churches/synagogues. Sunday would not interfere with any religious/church activities as those take place on Saturday.
    Snow: this is New England. No crystal ball on snowfall.

Contract writer: fired, b/c he took it upon himself to eliminate one crucial contract provision that, in the past, allowed the school board to extend the school year as needed to meet state requirements.

Lastly, no teacher is happy about it, but making the best of it.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I think extending the school day is a much better way to make up hours. You are already there, it may screw up sports or after school jobs a little, but it doesn't mess up a whole day. No way would I make my children attend 6 days/week.

In VA one year we missed 24 days or so due to bad weather. We tacked on 30 minutes to each school day and go the required hours in. Half days are a total waste IMO, but I also drive 30 min to get DD to school, so for her to spend 4 hours in school, I spend 2 hours in car. Not really worth it
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    All I know is that there is no way my mother would ever be asking on the 1960s equivalent of the Internet whether or not to follow the scheduled school year. Why is this up for discussion? It sucks but apparently so did the weather.
    sorry, did not know there was a limit on discussions based on what you think your mother would have done. Please keep me informed so that i can avoid a future faux pas

3 members found this post helpful.