The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do I stop her from eating crap???

Female Westie. Disgusting! Grazes outside in the yard looking for poo to chow down on. If we miss a pile picking it up, she is snacking. It totally disgusts me. I know it isn't harmful to her unless I lose it and smack her!
    Today I see her outside grazing. I go out the back door and she picks up what she is trying to eat and runs to another part of the yard thinking she is so smart that I won't notice. She is almost totally deaf so I was able to get up behind her before she realized I was coming. Caught her chowing down on crap AGAIN!
    Anyone dealt with this? Anyway to stop her? Tempting to put a muzzle on her after she has her breakfast and leave it on her all day. I am thinking they make a muzzle for dogs like a horse no-graze muzzle? Or should I just turn the other way and ignore it knowing it doesn't hurt her? Just so repulsing!

What sort of crap is she eating? Dog crap? Horse crap?

If she's eating HER crap, you use something like For-Bid. Or you pick up her poop after she's gone. For-bid doesn't always work and it's usually easier to just pick up the poop a few times a day.

If she's eating HORSE crap...well. That's what dogs do. I train mine as puppies that it's off limits, but I don't live at the barn (I board) and it's relatively easy to just get the point across by taking them out on a leash until they get that horse shit is off limits. Even then, they will still snack when they think I'm not looking, but at least the get that it's not allowed and will drop it if I yell.

If you've got your horses in the back yard, you've got to decide how much work you want to do. Fencing the dog out of the horse areas would solve the problem. You might also be able to train that it's not okay, but I imagine that would be a pretty big job...starting with having the dog on a lead every time you go out until the message gets through, then follow up after that...

Dog poo. Hers, the other dogs, even the cats poo that is buried in the mulch that she will dig up! She doesn't go to the barn with me but I am sure she would love horse crap too. Frankly I don't think eating horse crap is as disgusting as dog and cat crap!
    I saw some chewable treat like things at Hollywood Feed that you can give them to eat that makes the poo taste bad but I would have to give it to both dogs and the cat and they were quite pricey.
    Dogs are outside most of the day so it makes it hard to pick up the poo right away.....ugh

I have one of those. We tried all the pills you give to all the other animals to make their feces unpalatable, but nothing worked, and the supplement is hard on their liver. We gave up. We still love her.

Thank gawd she is not a licker.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

My lab is driving my husband crazy with this. He takes him for a run in an area where many other dog owners love to go, ponds, river, fields. It s great. The first thing this silly dog does when he gets out of the car is look for crap and eat it. My husband swears he is going to leave him there or save on dog food and let him get hungry... Years ago we had another lab who ate his own poo and there was something you could add (a few drops) to their food. It worked.. but that was taken off the market...
    Now, since he eats any dog poo... that would not work... I don't know what to do about it either except keep him on a leash at all times and correct him. But he sure needs his daily run... Maybe it will improve with warmer weather. Maybe poopsicles are more attractive?

Sprinkling Accent meat tenderizer (MSG) on dog food can work sometimes. It's supposed to make the poop taste yucky(er), but it obviously can't stop them from eating other poo. It's a gross habit. My dog only did it when he was eating Canidae, but when I switched food he stopped.
    You are what you dare.

Yup, there are only two sure fire ways of solving coprophagia;

1. Pick it up right away
    2. Don't look while they're doing it.

Even if there's no poo to eat they're thinking about eating poo. And cat poo is apparently Godiva chocolates.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

2 members found this post helpful.

Only seems like 4 possible solutions:
    1. pick up the yard twice a day and know that she might get something between the two pickups
    2. put on a muzzle every time she is outside and supervise her so she doesn't get hurt if the muzzle gets stuck on something
    3. add something to the animals food and see if it stops the behavior
    4. Don't allow her off leash

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    Only seems like 4 possible solutions:
    1. pick up the yard twice a day and know that she might get something between the two pickups
    2. put on a muzzle every time she is outside and supervise her so she doesn't get hurt if the muzzle gets stuck on something
    3. add something to the animals food and see if it stops the behavior
    4. Don't allow her off leash
    If you can go out with the dogs, you can pick up after them right away so that there is never anything in the yard to eat.
    I do think that all dogs probably eat some type of feces at times - deer, rabbit, etc. I think the best solution for eating dog feces is to let the dogs out under supervision and pick it up right away. Personally I think disciplining her for it is probably a waste of time because for whatever reason, as gross as it is to people it must be rewarding for her on some level. I do agree with you about the supplement - it isn't worth the potential organ issues given that it isn't harmful to dogs.

I solved the problem by using a dog yard, and picking up the feces often. Mine is a chain link 6x12 dog run, with compressed horse bedding pellets as a base. The dogs pack the sawdust down by walking on it (takes a couple of days) and the poo sits on top so it's easy to pick up. Then it is deposited into a plastic container with a lid that sits outside the pen.

if this dog is nearly totally deaf, how old is she? If she's older then the habit is probably pretty ingrained.

I have two dogs that do this. The third dog doesn't.

I've tried the feed-through stuff and it almost made them go for the poo more.

The only thing that works is for me to stand out with them when they are going potty and get rid of the poo right away. I can't even leave them for a minute because they'll be right on it.

I have had a vet exam for all three and they eat a very good quality food...so it's a very bad habit but not health related.

It's not a bad habit, it's a dog habit. We happen to find it disgusting.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I have one poo eater...fortunately he only does it during the winter. He's snuck one or two of his poopsicles into the house over the years. Since then, we've learned to pick up poop often and recognize his, "I have poop stuffed into my mouth," look.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

Many dogs that did not have access to the outside when they were tiny pups, will probably do this forever. I used the meat tenderizer on both dogs food, and that stopped it, or else I never caught her eating it again (only one dog did this, but the I put the tenderizer/MSG on both or the poop eater would get the other dog's poop). Some will stop this after they are stopped for a long while, because it's a habit, but some never stop.

I always found it disgusting that after the little one did this, she wanted to come and kiss me. I think it was a plot by her.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

1 members found this post helpful.