The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stables converted to modern home

Historic stables converted into a modern home. Check out that kitchen!

"Many of the existing features were refurbished and re-purposed for use in the home environment; the original horse troughs were cleaned and converted for use as sink basins, the old horse ties act as towel rings in the bathrooms and original doors are preserved where possible"

http://www.contemporist.com/2013/04/...design-studio/

I have a friend that lives in an old red barn that was redone for living. It looks amazing on the outside and it is very wide open on the inside. The loft is where the bedroom is and downstairs is very wide open with huge windows that look over the pasture and river. You would never know from the outside that it is so comfy on the inside.
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

I have long dreamt of living in a converted barn. This one was too stark for my taste, though - it didn't feel barnlike and cozy enough to me.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

11 members found this post helpful.

LEaving the stalls so intact like that would make me want to just bring my horse inside.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    I have long dreamt of living in a converted barn. This one was too stark for my taste, though - it didn't feel barnlike and cozy enough to me.
    That's what I was thinking. It doesn't have to be "country cozy"...but I was expecting something that fit the building's past, or at least complemented it.
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

5 members found this post helpful.

The whole stark, contemporary style does not appeal to me, but it's a lovely idea.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    Me, too. The contrast between modern and old was just too strong.

I did like the idea of putting the kitchen in a stall though.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

2 members found this post helpful.

Eeewww. Take a look at the stall wall. Obviously the architect is not familiar with real stables. That wall screams hind gut ulcer problem to me
    See, I spend time imagining turning houses into stables or pastures. The appeal of living in an animals former home is lost on me.

3 members found this post helpful.

I love the layout. I would change the furniture and add earthy colors and rugs to warm the interior. Imagine yourself cantering down the length from bedroom to kitchen.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I love it!

I love it too! I only wish I had so little in the way of material things to have such a minimalist house. Clutter is my nemesis!

1 members found this post helpful.

It's interesting but far too stark for me as well. Add some color, art, inviting furniture, and a fireplace and I would love to live there.

When I was in college, I lived in a converted 2-stall barn retrofitted into a wonderful 2-bedroom apartment/house on the grounds of an old estate overlooking a river in RI. My mother hated it; I still think of it as one of the most charming places I've ever lived! Love the concept though my taste runs to a less stark look.

I don't really like this particular example but have seen some that are amazing. My daughter's pony club holds their meetings at an old bank barn where the stall area below is still used for a barn but they hayloft area above has been renovated into an amazing living space with 30 foot ceilings and natural pine walls. It is absolutely gorgeous.

2 members found this post helpful.

HGTV is doing a series titled something like You Live in What? One was a lovely stable, brick walls, sort of u-shaped with large loft. The owners rode and the
    downstairs was mostly left to the horses and the center and loft converted to living space. It was gorgeous! Located somewhere on the east coast. The horse area got renovated also and was nicer than what most people live in.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

One of the houses I looked at was a converted mill barn where they used to make old plows. The center mill wheel, saw, and several of the other key pieces were still intact and built around, it was very cool.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

That sounds really cool mg! One of the things that struck me about this retrofit is how they incorporated the stalls and everything into the new space. Converting stables to living space is not uncommon in Europe, but it's more the extent to which they reused existing features that makes this one interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by BasqueMom View Post
    HGTV is doing a series titled something like You Live in What? One was a lovely stable, brick walls, sort of u-shaped with large loft. The owners rode and the
    downstairs was mostly left to the horses and the center and loft converted to living space. It was gorgeous! Located somewhere on the east coast. The horse area got renovated also and was nicer than what most people live in.
    Yes, I saw that episode last night! They live in Pennsylvania. I really liked what they did with the place - the old barn was a dump, but the renovated kitchen's black cabinets and black stair railings and black stools and black black black everything else was sort of weird. I wonder how much it cost?

I love it, but I'm a fan of the stark white minimalist modern look.

My Great-Aunt in England lived in a converted barn. It was partially built into
    the side of the hill and was almost 200 hundred years old. Her bedroom was
    in the old hayloft. They left the beams and everything in the ceilings in the
    living area - she had old horse brasses hanging along the beams. It had pretty
    low ceilings too, I remember my very tall brother having to duck to come in
    the front door !

But, this was converted probably 100 years ago - it had been in the family
    all that time.

The only bad thing is that there was no road up to the house, just a 1/2
    mile long footpath. My aunt didn't mind that though.

I do remember it being very damp in the winter. It also was heated with either
    coal or peat and had a smokey smell.

When I was a horse-crazy kid, I thought it was the coolest house EVER ...
    who wouldn't love to live in a barn ??