The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Should I blog?

I've been reading some blogs belonging to COTHers who are brave enough to post the links in their signatures, and I gotta say, we have some talented writers!

I, too, am a talented writer. At least that's what the prosecutors all say when they get my reports, and the one time that judge laughed through my search warrant. There's even a public defender who seems to get a kick out of them.

And I do have a bachelors in it.

And I have to squash a lot of urges to over-post on FB.

And, of course, I have Odie.

Should I start a blog? It wouldn't be all horsey because I have an insane dog, a husband (who I wonder about sometimes) and an awesome job that I could only talk about in the vaguest of ways. If so...where? How? I am not techy. I don't care about followers so much, I don't aspire to be FUGLY.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

1 members found this post helpful.

Sure give it a go! I would probably read it since I always like your posts.

As to how , blogspot seems pretty easy but there are lots of sites that offer it.

P.

I keep my blog on blogspot.com

It's pretty easy, and I like it because I can go back through the past couple years and see my progress and how things have changed. Also it's convenient for remember what we've been working on and what we did in lessons so I can do stuff between times.

Really, there's no reason you can't blog if you want to write and blogs are so easy to get and use.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

I find Wordpress to be a more flexible platform -- more ways to customize and you can start with the free platform and then migrate to a private one if you choose.

The only issue with blogs is that they need care and feeding! Many people choose to write in advance. I'm not that organized but I still try to post at least four times/week. If you do decide to start one, send a post over to the Blog Carnival of Horses. I host it on my blog every month and it's a great way to get some new eyes on your blog.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

4 members found this post helpful.

Do it! Because that is what I've decided to do as of tonight! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    If you do decide to start one, send a post over to the Blog Carnival of Horses. I host it on my blog every month and it's a great way to get some new eyes on your blog.
    Ok, I don't understand what you said right there at all!

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I'd say yes! Blogging is a great way to be creative, chronicle your journey with horses and even meet new people. That being said, they are a bit of work. The best blogs in my opinion have frequent content updates, good photography, well planned out posts and foster a sense of community.

For starting a new blog for a not so tech savvy person, I would suggest Wordpress.com. Blogger is another option, but I think Wordpress is going to be a better platform in the future and is more user friendly.

Good luck! Make sure you post a link here if you decide to start one so I can follow you

Go For It! I love well written & humorous blogs and the more variety of topics, the better; but they all need to tie in together somehow. The barn. The farm. The neighborhood. The family. Etc. Again, just go for it!

key question for yourself (not asking you to say it) is why? What do you want from it? I think it's pretty common for bloggers to start out very prolific, then a little more infrequent, and then you get abject self-flagellation "I know I haven't posted in a while but..." every now and then. Aand then silence.
    Which, hey, no skin off my back if the blogger kinda fades away. But from their posts, I got a sense of how much WORK it is, how they feel obligated to an audience, etc. Which is kinda like blaming the reader.

That said, I have always loved your writing and videos, I do think you present an interesting view point. I'd read it!
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

2 members found this post helpful.

I would be careful about blogging about my business unless you are prepared to only talk about positive aspects of it.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

I would start if you really think you'll have a lot that's creative to say. I get bored with blogs (also fiction is a lot of work and that eats up what time I have to write.) I mostly post pictures now. Writing about real stuff gets dull really fast as most peoples' lives aren't really interesting to anyone but them. Do you have not only interesting stuff to write about but a LOT of it?

Quote Originally Posted by IronwoodFarm View Post
    I would be careful about blogging about my business unless you are prepared to only talk about positive aspects of it.
    Oh I can't really talk "business" at all whatsoever, hence the "vague" terms I mentioned. I could get fired, or at least in some serious trouble . So no worries there.

The beauty of blogging is that if you want to write, then write. They don't take it away if no one reads it. And if you write about horses, especially if you can tell a good story or have a grasp of good writing, SOMEone will read it, LOL. If you get tired of it, stop. It's your journal, you can do whatever you want with it, there are no blog police.

Mine is hosted on blogspot, but I did purchase my own URL after a year or so, so it was easier for people to remember and type in directly. I've done a lot of messing with it, it started as a training journal, then took on a small life of its own. With more energy and time, there is so much more I'd like to do with it, but...see the "no blog police" clause, ROFL.

Yes! If you just want to start out with friends/family reading it, you can keep it private. But writing is such a great way to work out your thoughts. It's a wonderful bonus when it entertains others, too!

I have two, by the way-- my longstanding Taco blog and a new one I just started for fellow riders-- here's the first post!
    http://sporthorseriders.com/2013/04/...y-of-the-good/

I blog, mostly its just rambling's about my life in general, mostly about horses. My Doctors suggested I try journaling it when I was first dealing with RA and had a cancer scare. Its really helped me track my symptoms and how that effects my daily (and horsey) life. I try to post at least twice a week, but that can vary. Most people seem to read for the 'horse' aspect of my blog and are a little surprised sometimes when I add photos of my IV treatments, or when I get sick and need to take time off from the barn.

http://justaplainsam.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Writing about real stuff gets dull really fast as most peoples' lives aren't really interesting to anyone but them.
    Writing about "real stuff' is only dull if the writing itself is dull. When an effort is made to entertain, other people's lives are in fact endlessly fascinating to complete strangers. If entertaining an audience is not the goal of the writing, it arguably pointless and possibly even injudicious to publish it worldwide.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

I love blogging! I resisted it for quite awhile since writing is my primary job, but it allowed me the space to discuss interesting products, pet peeves, and what ever else I felt like. I've also met some lovely and interesting people through my blog that I might not have otherwise come to know It's fun -- give it a try!

As far as platforms go, I started out with blogger.com but then switched to wordpress; I find it more user-friendly.

I have a blog that is in my signature. I started a long time ago and then kind of got tired of it because I had nothing to write about. I just started up again yesterday. I'm hoping to actually keep up with it this time. I'm not a really talented writer, nor do I have super exciting stories to tell. But I write about my 3 horses and the progress or not-so-much-progress we make.

I'd say go for it. It's fun to look back and see what you were doing a couple months ago. And if you get a blogspot then follow me and I'll follow back. I only have one follower at the moment!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding