The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Angry I took on Expedia and Won!

Is it just me or are they really awful? Google searches after the fact confirm what con artists they are in some of their business practices. I missed "victimsofexpedia.com. Booked a trip and bought the flight insurance. It was in the name of horse shopping. Horse #1 fell through so I cancelled trip. I did get rental car refunded pretty fast. Found horse #2 and spend over an hour on the phone being transferred all over to use my flight credit so re-book new flight. Was told I had to pay the $150 change fee which would be refunded.
    Came back from trip, maybe 10 days later after checking my credit card online and not seeing credit, I called.
    This is where it got real fun.
    In the last few weeks, made about 10 calls to Expedia, have been on hold probably for 5 hours if you add it all up, hung up on 6x, three times alone last night. Their goal is to make is so difficult for you to get your refund, you will go bye bye. Every time you call you get a new story or get transferred and have to tell it all over again. Twice was promised a refund and even got a conformation # which they probably made up. Last night I was in for the duration...by the end I got a refund receipt. Oh, I and turned them in to the credit card company, the airline and the Attorney General. Also Expedia has a corporate office 3 miles from me and told them in no uncertain terms I would go down there personally and raise hell. By noon today had a refund on my credit card. They are just awful...their employee training for how to talk in circles and NOT do their jobs must be impressive. I truly believe they do this crap on purpose. Maybe they get a kickback for every time they can get someone to give up trying to get a refund they are entitled to.

7 members found this post helpful.

Good to know! And good for you for not giving in!!!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Wow! Good for you in your persistence! And thanks for letting me know about Expedia...
    If you have a poor mouth, you'll have a poor life. Joel Osteen

1 members found this post helpful.

They really have a lot of nerve. I have booked things with them online before but never had to call them or need service. And google turns up all kinds of horror stories. They are very good at what they do....which is lie. Normal people would have given up a long time ago. I may or may not have put a few curses on them as well. It was an act of endurance.

Wow! Good for you and stickin it out! I would send HQ a complaint letter on thier 'awesome' customer service and refund policies.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease

I worked for Expedia.ca for 8 months (that's as long as I could take it). I tried really really hard. Actually, I was first hired to answer the phone in French. I liked it and people were actually pretty nice to deal with, BUT if they had to deal with a flight reservation/cancellation... that was another story. First, we were short staffed in French. Second, the agent making a change to your reservation has to call the airline and deal with them. It is not always easy. Some airlines just put you on hold and forget about you ie Alitalia and Air Mexico. They were terrible, terrible. There is always a charge to change flights and sometimes, the airline won't do it. I remember taking the call, explaining I had to transfer to the reservation agent and that there may be a wait (lack of French speaking agents). Then they'd wait again for the agent to get in touch with the airline, hang up and call back. And we'd start the vicious circle all over again.

Hum, having to tell your story time and time again? Every call has to be recorded in the file. What you say, what we say, the suggestion we make, who we called, what they said. It takes quite a while after completing the call to finish all this record keeping. So, I don't buy the fact that you had to start from scratch. Meaning, the agents were lying. They had to have the file in front of them because you must have given them the itinerary #.

I guess I was being too nice to the clients because they transferred me to email (they had a back up of over 1500 French emails!!!) I cleared that, called people, etc. which got me in hot water sometimes, but I felt I had to explain rather than reply by email.

What was the most difficult for people to understand though was this: if they booked on line and made a mistake in the name, etc. We could not change it and often the airline could not either unless you called immediately. People did not read the instructions and got mad at us!! Hello....

Getting hotels to refund rooms not used when it stated that once booked, it was not refundable also took time and serious arguments...

In other words, although sometimes the agents may not be willing to help (some were really young and did not care), it is not always their fault. I have seen agents break down in tears dealing with unhelpful airline or hotel staff! I always dealt with the French Air Canada dpt. for example... never had problems, but I saw some agents in tears and swearing at AC English staff!!

I am glad you got your refund at the end. Expedia.ca subcontracted to a call centre company and it was the pits. It took me THREE months to get my final pay cheque with holiday pay... why? because my boss did not want to lose me and refused to send the paperwork stating I had sent in my resignation! I finally one day went back to the office and made a big fuss, demanding she be called by HR and I said I was not leaving w/o my cheque. i was ready to call the cops!

But I have learned one thing: I will NEVER book a hotel, a flight or a car rental through an intermediary... NEVER! and believe me, the rates are no better really. Just the potential hassle!!

2 members found this post helpful.

I have never used them because you actually CAN'T beat the airlines--booking direct is always cheaper. With hotels, it's just easier not to deal with a middle man.

Very good to know. Thanks.
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.