The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation Samsung Top Load Washer and Drier.

I just got them, they are hooked up and currently working on their first load.

I have to admit they have great reviews (except for the yahoo who went on a page long tear about not being able to push 3 buttons at once LOL!!) but I really bought them because they are so pretty.

http://www.lowes.com/Popular-Samsung...-_-257608_11_#!

They also play a happy little ditty when finished instead of beeping
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have the samsung front loader, love it. Have washed 2 mid weight Rambos in it (one at a time) Great machine

I have a Samsung front loader and hate it. It simply will not get clothes clean, not to mention it does not rinse out the soap. I fill the little cup up about 20% of max, set it for an extra rinse, and I still wind up having to run it again to get all the soap rinsed out.

I've resorted to adding a bucket of water to it every time I wash clothes. That helps. A little. But sort of defeats the purpose.

I'm hoping to get rid of it by the end of the year. It'll be less than 3 years old.

I do quite like the dryer though. That's staying.

Yeah, I have not heard a single good thing about any brand of front loader. They suck. I remember when they came out about 10 or so years ago, my my, the fad! Everyone I know got one and only a few still have them. Such an ordeal! Locking clothes in when they malfunctioned, leaking, breaking down, costing horrific amounts to fix, "energy efficient" was also hogwash LOL!! For every one person who "likes" their front loader there are 50 who don't LOL!!

So far I have done everything including the queen size comforter, and all done super nicely. I am very happy.

After reading the reviews, customer comments, etc., it seems Samsung came out with the top loader to ease out of the front loader mess. It also has no belt but an actual direct drive motor, no belts!

Did I mention it also comes with a 10 year warranty
    The Knotted Pony

Have the Samsung front loaders...bought in 2007, maybe 2008. So far, so good.
    A stray quarter found its way into some little motor and had to have the repairman out. I, too, doubted all the soap got out and always set the extra rinse. We have softer water and use a lot less detergent than called far. Every once in a while, I miscalculate and have a tub full of suds when the cycle is done.

The one thing I don't understand is why it takes so long to do a cycle. My top loader was about 30 minutes. Even on quick wash with an extra rinse is 49 minutes and some of the cycles are almost two hours long.

Would I buy another one.....maybe. I'd be researching the agitator less top loaders first though.

Mine is agitator-less. Ask me how it's doing when you are starting to shop
    The Knotted Pony

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Yeah, I have not heard a single good thing about any brand of front loader. They suck. I remember when they came out about 10 or so years ago, my my, the fad! Everyone I know got one and only a few still have them. Such an ordeal! Locking clothes in when they malfunctioned, leaking, breaking down, costing horrific amounts to fix, "energy efficient" was also hogwash LOL!! For every one person who "likes" their front loader there are 50 who don't LOL!!

So far I have done everything including the queen size comforter, and all done super nicely. I am very happy.

After reading the reviews, customer comments, etc., it seems Samsung came out with the top loader to ease out of the front loader mess. It also has no belt but an actual direct drive motor, no belts!

Did I mention it also comes with a 10 year warranty
    I must be the rare exception. I LOVE my front loaders! I bought a cheapo Kenmore front loader in the eighties and used it for about fifteen years, in a house I lived in for a while and then with several tenants. I bought the same model for myself when we moved and have had it since 1999. I did buy the old-fashioned type with the mechanical dials -- nothing computerized, because I heard that the mother boards were failing on all the new washers, front and top loaders. But here's what I love about my washer:

-you can't overload it. It is designed for you to fill the drum, so you don't have to worry about overloading. If it fits, it fits. Having said that, I seldom pack the clothes in unless I am washing a king-sized comforter.
    -mine has a super fast spin cycle. The clothes come out so dry that I have never had to dry any load for more than 25 minutes.
    -there is an extra rinse cycle option, which I use.
    -my clothes always come out very clean.
    -less soap is required in a front loader than a top loader.
    -the washer uses less water so is more economical, however, the biggest energy savings is probably in the short drying time.
    -I like having a countertop for folding clothes which is afforded by my front loaders.

The only thing I am not crazy about is having to bend down to reach into the drum and make sure I have all the clothes. The upside is that all that stretching and bending are good for me.

Yes, but the top loaders come standard with all that too minus the bend down and lack of reliability. Oh, no folding area but the dryer works well enough I suppose. I fold on my bed so I have never thought about it LOL!!
    The Knotted Pony

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Mine is agitator-less. Ask me how it's doing when you are starting to shop
    Please post an update on next Off Topic day. Agitator or No Agitator is my only remainin question aboaut a new machine maybe this year. Definately have decided on a top loader.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

I have the front load in my house and the top load in my barn. I hate both of them! I have had the repair man out no less than 3 times for both sets (including the matching dryers, too!), they don't get anything as clean as I want it, and they take FOREVER to wash and dry. The locking mechanism broke twice on the top load (locking my laundry in the washer for days!) and the heating mechanism on the dryer in my house has gone three times. These machines are less than a year old!

I sure hope you have better luck with yours, OP, than I've had with mine! The next problem I have, I'm going to tell Lowes and Samsung to take them back and give me a refund and then I'm going back to my tried and true Miele appliances!!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

I sure hope so Punkie! So far I am very happy but I will post next OT day. I will be testing it out with a king size mondo comforter soon too

My nasty dirty clothes from braiding this past weekend (muddy rainy ick at the Tacoma Unit Showgrounds, yarn, cat and horse hair) came out just fine, I did get all the hair and yarn back in the lint filter though
    The Knotted Pony

lol I think that the front load vs top load is like Ford vs Chevy type of an argument. Most folks like one or the other. Me I hated my top loader, it used way too much water and never got anything clean. It was horrible. I'm on the second front loader (First one was in first house that we sold) and love them both. My mom has had 2 as well (again b/c she moved out of the house that had the 1st front loader) and had no problems.

To the poster that complained off too much soap, I use the HE soap and I use a tiny tiny amount. And I run the extra rinse cycle. Clothes come out clean. And fwiw the short cycle cleans just as well as the longer "normal" cycle.

I too have a Samsung top loader sans-agitator and the matching dryer.

Previously had a front-loader Maytag Neptune and matching dryer.

I <3 my Samsung. Quiet, efficient, gets stuff clean, fits a heavyweight with a hood (shhh! don't tell DH!), and my king size bedding with ease.

Had mine for nearly a year now and no complaints!

The Samsung Top Loader Washer and Drier did beautifully with the Mondo King Size Comforter
    The Knotted Pony