The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Too bad the laws protect the criminal. Ultimately it is the honest customers who pay with higher prices.

1 members found this post helpful.

We get regular calls for retail theft from the WalMart in our area. Most shoplifters don't do this just once, so the Loss Prevention people in each area get to know the thieves in the surrounding areas.

In our area, once you have a third retail theft, it becomes a felony and if they are caught, get arraigned and sent to jail.

One stupid story, Dudette and her friend decided they needed some stuff from their local WalMart, so Dudette went into the store while Friend waited in the car. As Dudette exited the store without paying, Friend pulled up & Dudette grabbed the door frame to get into the car. Friend was a little ahead of her game and stepped on the gas, causing Dudette to fall on her face on the pavement. Friend stops a little further up and Dudette gets in. However, Loss Prevention got the plate and called us. A few hours later, we get a call from the ER, that Dudette was there due to a broken arm.

We arrested her.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    I was at the local Walmart late today, awaiting my turn at the Redbox to rent a DVD. Redbox is located just inside the store, near an entrance/exit. The clerk manning the exit stopped a male leaving with a large case of soda in his cart and ask to see his receipt. He gave some story about having left it on the counter and proceeded to push pas,t her. She said you are on the security camera, but he left anyway. She turned to go back inside the store to notify security. Then another Redbox customer said "look at him run" and, indeed, he was booking it out of there and was already at the last parking aisle.

I rented my DVD. The clerk never came back so I went inside. I found her talking to a supervisor, I guess. I said I saw the guy running. The supervisor told me they can't stop them once they are out of the store. I said "don't you have security cameas in the parking lots?" Yes. Then I said at least they could find out the vehicle and maybe the license plate.

Is that true? If you make it out the entrance, you can't be stopped?

I am wondering why they don't provide some kind of button so they can summon security while not leaving their post at the exit. This was an older lady so no way she could have stopped him.
    The short answer is "it depends."

In some places if you get past the door the merchant may not use force to detain you. In others as long as you are on the property the merchant can act. Most , however, will make a confrontational stop, but won't use force at all.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    Nothing like screaming "Just give me the !@#$ing panties!" on the busiest street in the city.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Yep, they're no longer allowed to chase. But that didn't stop a friend of mine who's a cop. He was off duty and was at a Walmart and saw someone running out the door with a large flat screen TV in a cart. He decided to do something about it.

He went over and tried to stop them, they were getting in the car and he grabbed one of them, which happened to be the driver. The guy go in the door before he was grabbed and had started the car--he was about to pull out while my friends arm stuck to the car with the door, and his friend in the passenger side pulling out a gun. My friend gave him a round house kick in the face. The guy let go, spraying blood everywhere.

Lets just say they didn't get very far. It was great. They were wanted for something even worse. And pulling a gun on a cop that had identified himself ratcheted the charges up on the passenger. Love that story. They got what they deserved in that situation. They were hardened criminals and were not caring if they took out anyone in their way.

But if I was working at the store, there's no way I would have wanted to deal with them!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

2 members found this post helpful.

I worked there and was good friends with the LP guy.

When they are headed to the doors, they confront them about it and ask them to go to the back office with them to wait for the police. If they book it, then they can't chase them. It's a liability thing for if the associate gets hurt or if the shop lifter gets hurt.

Now I have seen the police get there before the shop lifter makes it out of the parking lot and run down and tackle the crook, that's legal and quite humorous on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoonlady View Post
    There is a lawsuit pending about this very issue with Walmart in that their managers are told to not report thefts as it has an aggregate effect on Walmart's bottom line. In fact the employee who is suing them claims that they routinely downplay theft losses to the shareholders in effect committing fraud.

http://www.rfgen.com/blog/bid/283493...gainst-Lawsuit
    the losses probably come out in the wash with the 'sales' that never get changed in the registers and unattentive shoppers miss being overcharged.

Unless you leave the store it ain't shoplifting, and once you leave the store it's police business...
    (I wonder if the short hispanic looking guy who hangs out in the back of our Walmart is an LP...I mean, it's sad, isn't it, that I notice this one person who sees to be in the store more than I am!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

We were not allowed to stop them at the pet store. It made me sick because people stole ANIMALS all the time. I chased down a guy who grabbed a puppy-we called the cops and asked them to come arrest him and they told us that they wouldn't do that and we had to let him go. Never saw that poor little pom again. One of my girls tackled a guy who took a ferret- she got the ferret back. I was proud of her, but corporate was pissed. I did manage to get them to let her keep her job though. Our official policy was to just let people go and not even call the cops.They didnt think it was worth prosecuting.
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    ~Vet Tech Student
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 3 Cats, 6 (Former) Stepkids

Shop lifting must be on the rise in our Walmart. I go there for groceries and they have at least 2 gaurds at each entrance with the greeters. For the last 2-3 weeks we have had to show our receipt when leaving.

Stopping shoplifting would highlight employee theft, which is more of a drain on a business. One stole almost $100,000 from the meat dept in one year. Employee theft didn`t seem possible for that much, but it was. Guy was filling garbage bags full of uncut meat and taking out the back.

It always shocked me.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoonlady View Post
    There is a lawsuit pending about this very issue with Walmart in that their managers are told to not report thefts as it has an aggregate effect on Walmart's bottom line. In fact the employee who is suing them claims that they routinely downplay theft losses to the shareholders in effect committing fraud.

http://www.rfgen.com/blog/bid/283493...gainst-Lawsuit
    Theft comes out in the bottom line, when your store inventory is less then you say it is. This is called shrink. Items that are stolen (empty packages left behind in hidden places are logged out as stolen and not doing so really affects your inventory. A high shrink store at the end of the year is a bad thing, items that are stolen, damaged items not logged out, items the store never actually gets, and items not sold properly all count. A high shrink store can lose its bonus and the corporate office can remove and replace the entire salaried management staff to fix the issue.

It would be much better if shrink was reported as theft then the store would get more access to loss prevention officers, more cameras, and an on duty police officer.

I worked at Starbucks, my friend worked in retail and we were both told the same thing. Just let them go. Question them if you can, but don't physically attempt anything. Not worth it.

But if your child eats a banana...

Abotu two years ago, our son was 2ish and managed to snag a banana off the bunch in the cart. He had it open and 1/3 eaten by the time we noticed, and so did a WM employee. Big guy, maybe security. He followed us all around, watching. At checkout, DH told the checker about it, had her weigh the remaining bunch, then pulled a banana off to be weighed separately again. Only then did the man let us out of his sight.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    I would say, store policy depends - not shoplifting, but...

My son was a sales associate at a gun and police supply store. One Saturday night, a guy attempted to break into the store. He did some damage, but was not able to get in. I guess he assumed no one would discover the damage until Monday morning, when the store opened again (closed Sundays).

When the guys checked the store on Sunday, they decided to sleep in the store. The guys are almost all ex police, or current police, retired military, etc, and always fully armed. The store's shooting team is also highly rated.

Well, the idiot tried again on Sunday night, and was met by a group of fully armed professionals who chased him back to his car, which he couldn't get into as he had locked the doors. The police picked him up.

The owner of the store definitely was not going to fire them.

but that is probably a different store to steal from than Walmart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Is it really worth someone getting potentially shot, run over, or otherwise hurt over a case of soda?

I think one factor is that loss prevention cops are expensive, and the shoplifters don't get convicted and jailed very often. A family member worked for a huge grocery store chain that had tons of store cops, and they couldn't get convictions for bad checks, or shoplifting, even for repeat offenders. Virtually no convictions resulted in jail time, and the restitution was a joke.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

When I was a retail manager at a big chain (not Walmart) it was made very clear to me that our job was to deter theft (with attentive customer service and proper use of control devices) NOT apprehend shoplifters. The safety of our employees was not less valuable than stopping a shirt from being stolen and our employees were not trained guards.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyQ View Post
    But if your child eats a banana...

Abotu two years ago, our son was 2ish and managed to snag a banana off the bunch in the cart. He had it open and 1/3 eaten by the time we noticed, and so did a WM employee. Big guy, maybe security. He followed us all around, watching. At checkout, DH told the checker about it, had her weigh the remaining bunch, then pulled a banana off to be weighed separately again. Only then did the man let us out of his sight.
    I do that quite a bit, maybe 3x a year. I would rather let DS have that banana than open a package of cookies or something.

I am really bad about telling employees if I see someone helping themselves to the prepared foods bar, or something like that. It ticks me off because in the end, honest consumers end up paying more
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

While it is entirely unlikely that a LP would detain you for bannana theft, it is in the realm of what they are allowed to do. You have no idea if they also stopped someone from walking out with a flat screen TV or a stack of Blu Ray discs earlier in the day. You also have no idea how many people pick up food from the deli counter or off the shelves and have a snack while they shop then ditch the items.

While you might be irritated since you are a law abiding person, the LP did exactly what they were supposed to do.

I think they call dining your way through the store is called "Grazing", and some people don't just eat one thing, but have multiple 'meals' throughout the store. They showed some on the news that were shown on video having all types of foods throughout the store. It was amazing how much food one man ate on his wanderings through the different departments.

One store I used to go to when I lived in another town, there was a woman that always brought a bunch of little kids with her (I think she baby sat, or had a home day care), and she grabbed a bag of doughnuts out of the case, and was giving each kid a doughnut, and urging them to finish them before she finished shopping. The only thing the bakery people did was give her a dirty look, and I wonder if the parents she watched kids for knew what their kids were learning from the baby sitter.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    When I was a retail manager at a big chain (not Walmart) it was made very clear to me that our job was to deter theft (with attentive customer service and proper use of control devices) NOT apprehend shoplifters. The safety of our employees was not less valuable than stopping a shirt from being stolen and our employees were not trained guards.
    This happened several years ago to a gas station employee near where I lived. He tried to stop a gas thief (for $12 of gas) and was run over & dragged to his death. The province responded by introducing a law that all gas must be pre-paid. Very sad that young man had to die over $12 of gas.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng