The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mint Julep View Post
    I'm really sorry about this as I understand that this is a serious question, but...

your SO's family runs a guided canoe tour business?
    Interesting.
    Interesting indeed. It's hand canoeing, nothing more. I'm pretty sure worse stuff goes on in the champagne room at any strip club. I have discussed at length with him that if we have kids they will have no knowledge of "the business". My bf is definately embarrassed by it. especially now that he's older and wants to start a family.

Oh and to answer Tobias, my mom found out because I tell her EVERYTHING even if she doesn't want to hear it.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    Your mom thinks her daughter is too good to get involved with a guy whose family is in an illegal business involving prostitution. That's not so much a problem as a sign she's normal and sane. It might be exasperating since you want to date him, but - well, so what? It's probably exasperating to her that her daughter wants to marry into a family that profits off sexual exploitation. She has to cope with that, you have to cope with her complaints about it.

On a personal note - maybe he's 110% uninvolved with the family business. But if he's tight with family and he's a grown man, that's significant. He is on some level more comfortable with what they do than I'd want in a husband or as the future father of my children. Just a thought.
    I agree. I'd be very upset if my daughter was dating this guy.

17 members found this post helpful.

Hey OP, you brought a lurker out of lurkdom to post on your SO's family canoe trips !! THAT IS AWESOME!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mint Julep View Post
    I'm really sorry about this as I understand that this is a serious question, but...

your SO's family runs a guided canoe tour business?
    Interesting.

2 members found this post helpful.

When my daughters were young one of them wanted to own a strip club and have the other one dance there. My Dad wanted to know if he got a family discount. We are all in counseling...

25 members found this post helpful.

Be sure your boyfriend is not involved in the business. After you are married and have kids, you don't want him in jail and you to lose your house and all of your savings when the business is finally noticed by the authorities. You also don't want some Mafia boss to decide to take revenge on your family if your husband is involved and annoys them.

If you are sure he has separated himself from the illegal activities, I would say to not worry too much. If you have doubts, maybe you and he should think about moving to another part of the country to be sure you are clear of the family issues.

3 members found this post helpful.

So, kind of more like paddle-boarding, really.

13 members found this post helpful.

And if he's great on all other fronts, I'd keep dating him and see where it goes.

No, you can hand paddle your canoe. Easier in a kayak though. Seriously, look up hand paddles
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

Quote Originally Posted by planetlisa View Post
    So, kind of more like paddle-boarding, really.
    Sitting in the bathtub with a little wooden oar making boating noises.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

3 members found this post helpful.

Your mom thinks her daughter is too good to get involved with a guy whose family is in an illegal business involving prostitution. That's not so much a problem as a sign she's normal and sane. It might be exasperating since you want to date him, but - well, so what? It's probably exasperating to her that her daughter wants to marry into a family that profits off sexual exploitation. She has to cope with that, you have to cope with her complaints about it.

On a personal note - maybe he's 110% uninvolved with the family business. But if he's tight with family and he's a grown man, that's significant. He is on some level more comfortable with what they do than I'd want in a husband or as the future father of my children. Just a thought.
    You should (if you are really considering this) consult an attorney before you mingle your finances, and your devotion. Google RICO.

You had better be willing to go down with the ship, financially and legally, unless you have an attorney check out the business, and the ramifications of your, and your prospective husband's, connection to the business .

It should (obviously) be an attorney NOT involved with the family..

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Annandale View Post
    OP, you might want to change the title of your post. That's not so much an "unconventional" business as an illegal one.
    I'm NO prude about canoeing, but these are illegal places of canoe rental. Unfortunately while the paddle warehouse hasn't been shut down yet, it's always a possibility that it could be raided and closed at any time if a certain type of politician, LE officer or even "concerned citizen" gets involved and makes a big deal out of it. So while what he does doesn't bother you and probably makes canoe loads of money for the family, you are going to be living with the always present possibility that your SO's family could go to jail at any time. Is it worth floating up this creek knowing you could be left without a paddle?

I personally understand why mom's unhappy. Of course it is ultimately your choice what to do here, and hopefully since she is your mom and she loves you she will eventually accept your SO into her heart. But I don't see why she has to be okay with the canoe rental business - I wouldn't be if it were my daughter dating the warehouse owner. I think she is worried you will be at some point tainted with that brush potentially and could be in trouble with LE yourself if they tie you to the business through your SO. Whether that is a real possibility or not, that is what would keep ME up at night were it my child. I'd cut mom some slack here, her concerns are certainly valid in this case.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

14 members found this post helpful.

I don't know about this particular place, but in Atlanta, for extra $ of course, you can get full service. And half and half. It was a total waste of our money to have cops going into massage parlors to arrest women for offering sexual services, when we had so many rapes and murders and armed robberies. When Mayor Maynard Jackson got solicited by a bathhouse worker when he was stuck in traffic in his official car with his cops for driver and bodyguards, he cracked down on all the massage parlors and bathhouses. For a while. But the business is a part of "the world's oldest profession." Like liquor, it won't go away. So legalize it, regulate it, tax it, and let whomever wants to go there, go and pay.

And how many of you have ever been canoeing, whitewater canoeing with a guy? The uh, motion of a "real" canoe in white water is very similar to another sport that you have been talking about here. Much more fun than smooth sailing on Lake Lanier.

I am with Skydy, I immediately thought RICO. I had a boyfriend who turned out to be a crackhead (aside: there should be a rule that if you're a drug addict you cannot also be hot). In addition to the whole steal-from-you issue of having a drug addict in your home I had some real concerns (why I broke it off):

1. I would not want to be in a situation where cops stop me search my car and find stuff that's not mine. I've never had that kind of relationship with police.

2. I would not want questionable people asking me about his whereabouts.

3. I would not want my property RICOd as part of some operation. Again; I've never had that kind of relationship with law enforcement.

So morality aside. Creeping immorality aside (where the more you hang out with bad people the grayer your own morals become). What about RICO? What about your relationship with law enforcement?

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

9 members found this post helpful.

Well, I'm old and I have sort of been there/done that. I met a guy who I just adored. Mom thought DANGER DANGER WILL ROBINSON! I would not listen, told her what an insensitive/smallminded/racist/judgemental etc. parent she was.I ran off with him and cut myself off from my small minded, etc. family to be with my beloved. And he was SO MUCH WORSE than she could ever have imagined. Just like Paula, wierd and scary police interactions, wierd and scary people showing up at 3am. It took a long to time to extracate myself from that and it scarred some of my relationships with my family forever.

I don't think it matters what his business is or whether or not WE think it should be legal or whatever. Your mom has the right to hold whatever opinions she wants to. And you have the right to marry whomever you want. If you are not that close to her, you will marry and start your life and not have much to do with her. She will invest her emotional energy elsewhere. If you ARE close to her, you will always feel torn and your fiance/husband will feel it. People do this all the time when parents for whatever reason, valid or not, do not accept/have concerns about the partner. You have to figure that will NOT change and make your decisions accordingly. And it sucks, much MUCH better when everyone gets along!

10 members found this post helpful.

I wouldn't be confortable with it unless the family was in another state and no children were involved. I wouldn't be comfortable with criminals as in-laws nor would I want them around any chidren we had unless they were supervised. I'm not sure I would want to be at their home very often, especially with children. Never know what sort of characters might be visiting nor when the cops will show up.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

5 members found this post helpful.

Well, i agree with your mother. Does your "fella" hang out with his family, go to family picnics visit, etc? then it matters not that he is not "in the business", you are basically associating with pimps. not only that, he, your boyfriend was raised by people who think its okay to exploit women, by having them perform illegal acts for money.

Agree with Chisamba and microbovine and the others saying they'd be bothered. I have three sons, no daughters, and if any of them got involved with a girl whose family owned massage parlors dealing in prostitution you better believe I'd have a very negative opinion of them, and would not want my son associating in any way with the family.

Something to consider: family members who get into trouble often have a bad habit of leaning heavily (as in offer-you-can't-refuse) on those who try to lead a clean live.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

10 members found this post helpful.

Wait, you said you work for the county? Bad news if they ever find out. You could be asked to do favors for them because of your connections with local government. Plus, you might be required to report them.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

11 members found this post helpful.

OP, your Momma is one smart cookie!!!