The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vitiliago.

Anyone (else) have it?
    mykidshavefourlegs.blogspot.com

My step-mom does. Was diagnosed in her late teens. She is completely white now. Skin, Hair, Eyebrows, Eyelashes, etc. She is 65 now.

Did you need details of some sort?

Right here! Although at *ahem* practically 40 most of my "spots" have shrunk to where they are barely visible, except the ones on my hands. People often ask if I forgot to take band-aids off my fingertips before going out in the sun

I try to not get too excited about the shrinkage. My dad's almost went away in his 40s too, but now in his 60s it seems to be growing again...

As a kid I had huge spots on the fronts and backs of my knees and elbows, on the insides of both calves and ankles. Gotta love my mom, who told me to respond to kids asking me what was wrong with my knees: "Nothing. What's wrong with yours??"
    "I'm not strange, weird, off, nor crazy. My reality is just different from yours."
    ~Lewis Carroll

1 members found this post helpful.

No, LSM. Just looking to discuss. Mine came out when I was 20. Right now it is pretty slow going, mainly on my hands and feet (and the corners of my mouth when I open it wide).
    When I get a cut, it turns white and will patch eventually.

Allison, do you have any other autoimmune situations?

My SIL has your pattern. Some of hers are filling back in too, though she got hers young, before she was a teen.

My father's brother also has it.

Wow LSM! That's a pretty severe case!

I don't have any other autoimmune issues, thankfully. Consider myself pretty lucky. Not a bad thing to get stuck with all things considered. Just have to answer a lot of stupid questions and wear lots of sunscreen.

My cuts and scrapes spot when they heal too. Funny how the spots move and morph over time. I had one for a few years on my right eyelid. When it burned I looked like I had pink eye! Was in my twenties and dating. Good times...

And then I once, uh, discovered one on my left cheek. The one that does not usually see sun...

When did yours show up and how has it changed?
    "I'm not strange, weird, off, nor crazy. My reality is just different from yours."
    ~Lewis Carroll

I had a good friend in HS and college who had a severe case, she was mottled all over and I always thought it was sexy as hell (in a platonic way).
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Fwiw, my lady bits are stark white (sorry). Try explaining that to the gyno! Thankfully I was with my hubby (then bf) when it started. If a stranger is bold enough to ask, I say chemical burn or car fire lol. Too much explaining. I hear "like Michael Jackson!!! All the time

My MIL had that, mostly on her arms which she usually kept covered. I don't recall anything on her face. Her legs were usually pretty white evenly. Lots and lots of sunscreen.

I have it. I am exceptionally lucky. My natural skintone is paper-white. So there is very little contrast between the vitiligo skin and the pigmented skin. As long as I stay out of the sun, you really have to look to see. Also I only have one spot on my face, one on my thumb, and the rest are on my stomach and no one sees that

Mine came on very suddenly in high school and spread for maybe a year and then stopped and never got worse. The spot on my face slightly repigmented when I was in my 30s. It's very very strange.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I had a good friend in HS and college who had a severe case, she was mottled all over and I always thought it was sexy as hell (in a platonic way).

Yep. My closest college friend was STUNNING. She had gorgeous vitiliago, looked like someone had laid lace over her skin.

Is it heriditary?
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    Is it heriditary?
    No one's really sure what it's all about. It's not a particularly heavily studied disease. It generally appears to occur spontaneously. There's a thought that it may be an autoimmune disorder and follow along other autoimmune disorders.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by AllisonWunderlund View Post
    Wow LSM! That's a pretty severe case!
    Here is a pic of my step-mom. I'm sure I don't need to tell you which one she is but just in case..... 2nd on the left. This was at my wedding in Jamaica back in 2004.

http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/ls...984_n.jpg.html

It seems to be hereditary in my family. Grandfather (maternal) had it, and two of his daughters had it badly. However, sun exposure and bad sun damage seems to make it worse, so using sunblock helps. I have some on my forearms, and the back of my hands, but that can directly be traced to continued sun exposure.

There is also a similar condition that is a fungus, and I think anti-fungal topicals help that, or maybe prescription ones are needed.

And Michael Jackson didn't have it from what I've read. He had damage from his burns, but the rest was not a disease from what I read.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I got it last summer. It was scary at first. It was spreading fast. My doc put me on a cream called Elidel which stopped it from spreading. It faded into my winter skin and isn't noticeable this year, except for a spot on my thumb. I don't have any other auto immune diseases.

Think it's called vitiligo.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique