The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cleaning ceramic tile flooring

First off, I've done this for years just using warm water and sometimes just a spot of 409 or the like to clean the tiles. A few yrs ago I redid my bathroom with 1' square off white tiles with a kind of beige blended cast. Sorry if I'm not describing it well. For the most part the tiles are covered with bathroom rugs so they really don't get dirty but there is one tile ONLY by a closet door that gets absolutely filthy. Admittedly there is no rug that is by that door (and no way to put one there either and still open the door)so you have to step on the tile after you've opened the door to get things out of the closet. Believe me, I've tried many different contortions trying not to step on it. I swear I could clean that particular tile about every 3 days.

I just finished mopping the floor and got down with a scrubby and scoured the tile with Soft Scrub cleanser and 409 mix and I still can't get the tile as white as the surrounding tiles. Now, it's entirely possible that there is more of a beige tone to the tile than the others are but they all came from the same box/lot so it shouldn't be that great a difference.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Dirtex spray, in the paint section at Home Depot. Miracle stuff.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Awesome Orange-only available at Dollar Tree (as far as I know), just get the spray bottle, spray it (only on the tile), let it set, scrub it, and rinse it clean. If that doesn't do it then I guess you have to keep trying things.

You can have that much variation in the color of a tile also. It might have come from a different lot number, and be very different. It might have been just the one that came out of a different lot, and they used it to even out the box. And be careful about the throw rugs, because if they age and the rubber backing turns (if it's the beige rubber) colors from age, it can make vinyl stained, and it won't come out. I don't know if it can do anything to ceramic, but it could do something to the finish if there's a wax on it or something else coating it.

Another hint-if you have those awful rubber marks on hardwoods or tile, then remove them by rubbing them with a fuzzy tennis ball. They disappear like magic.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Awful rubber marks on tile? Oh dear, didn't know about that. New rule in my house -- no one walks on the new tile flooring once it's down, except in slippers or socks.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Magic Eraser does wonders for those black or dark rubber marks on vinyl. Believe me I know for sure.

Hm, maybe I should see if Magic Eraser would work on the tile. Worth a try anyway.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

A mixture of non chorine bleach and enzyme spray will remove just about anything! (From petsmart)
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ? Albert Einstein