The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Calling Nikon users and photography gurus, opinions on the Nikon D7100?

Looking at this as a potential purchase. I would be stepping up from a D60.

I'm currently in college, a photo major. I favor shooting outdoors.

Anyone buy this camera, anyone thinking about it?

I'm debating between the D7100, D5200, and D600. 3 different price points, 3 different qualities, but from what I've heard in the end all 3 are comparable.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Seems like a fine camera. Do you need that powerful a camera or are you trying to cover as many bases as possible?
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7100.htm

Probably the best camera ever made for the price, but I like Ken's idea of a reburbed D7000 if money matters.

Two questions you should ask yourself -

1. How large do you intend to print?

If you do not plan to make exhibition prints larger than 12"x16" it really doesn't matter which camera you get in your upgrade. OTOH, if you plan to do 20"x30" or larger exhibition prints then the more megapixels the better and under some conditions the larger the sensor the better.

2. Do you plan to do a lot of wide angle images?

There is a two edged sword here. I'll try to explain it.

The real advantage of the D7100 is the extra reach and apparent depth of field you get with a crop sensor using high quality prime telephoto and macro lenses.

The sensor spatial resolution of the 24MP APSC frame is 256 pixels per millimeter. Very few lenses are capable of delivering that kind of performance across the frame (128lp/mm @MTF50) except under very controlled conditions at optimum settings.

By comparison, a 24MP full frame (35mm) sensor only needs 168 pixels per millimeter (83lp/mm @MTF50) which is well within the resolving power of many lenses including the more affordable ones and the better zoom lenses.

But if you shoot outdoor, wildlife, scenic, macro and tend to favor long focal lengths and fixed primes rather than zoom lenses, the APSC sensor provides a significant advantage due to the 1.5x apparent magnification.

For example, a 200mm telephoto provides 4x magnification on 35mm full frame sensor, but on APSC it acts like a 300mm telephoto providing 6X magnification. If you are going to shoot wildlife that is shy, this can be a big advantage in cost savings and the amount of weight you have to lug around in the field.

The disadvantage of APSC is when you decide to shoot wide angle. Nikon makes some very good fixed prime wide and ultra wide angle lenses for 35mm full frame. But that 1.5x crop factor really bites on the wide end. A 20mm ultra wide on 35mm full frame becomes equal to a 30mm - which is not considered as "wide" by most photographers looking for the wide angle effect. Another disadvantage is that wide angle lenses do not resolve detail as well as normal and telephoto lenses due to the difficulty of controlling field curvature and light falloff across the frame. Therefore you can forget about getting 256 pixels per millimeter across the APSC frame - but on 35mm full frame the lens can resolve 50% LESS detail and still deliver the same image quality in a printed enlargement.

Bottom line, cameras don't shoot photographs, people do.

And FILM IS NOT DEAD YET!
    http://farriersforum.com/useralbums/...igital.15/view

Wow Tom Bloomer, that was good information. Farriers are good for more than hoof info!

That's what I meant by liking Ken Rockwell's idea of a refurbished 7000. Needing to ask the question here, probably means OP doesn't need a full priced, new 24mp camera. In short, to get what it can do out of the 7100, you need to spend a lot on lenses.

This looks like a pretty good deal. I've had good luck with refurbed stuff, and in some cases, like small propane heaters, I prefer them over new off the shelf from China.

http://www.adorama.com/INKD7000R.htm...FUTd4AodmjwADQ

If you are moving up from a D60, then I'd say the D7100 is WAY overkill. Find you a nice gently used D200 or D300 and you will likely be very happy and be able to use all your lenses to their full effect.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Great information. Everyone has been steering me to the Canon series and yet I read that the Nikon is more user friendly- I wish I could find where I read it)

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

The more advanced you go, the less user-friendly things are. I have experience with both Canon and Nikon and I would say that the consumer level cameras are all about the same in terms of user-friendliness though they are starting to get more and more "automatic" every year while the professional and enthusiast cameras get more and more advanced in their settings and configurations.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

If you feel more "comfortable" with a Nikon, go with that. My mom finds them more ergonomic for her. Some people feel more comfortable with a canon in their hands, it really is up to the individual. Don't let people talk you into one or the other because of their own preference. That is what my mom (photographer) tells people who are looking.
    As for other info, I think Tom covered it really well with Ken Rockwell. Great resource.

I have a really good deal on eBay right now for one of my camera outfits with 3 lenses, a light meter with spot attachment (great for the zone system) and a Metz handle mount flash . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171027148723...84.m1586.l2649

Quote Originally Posted by shezabrazenmare View Post
    Wow Tom Bloomer, that was good information. Farriers are good for more than hoof info!
    LOL! I've worn a lot of different hats in my life.

But I would rather shoe a rank spoiled horse in knee deep mud on the hottest day in august whist surrounded by biting flies than be the event photographer at another wedding . . .

2 members found this post helpful.

The 7100 really isn't overkill for my needs. I have been putting up with my D60's issues waiting for the "right" camera to come out. Something that was below the price of full frame sensor cameras but above what the usual crop frame has to offer.

I print 20x30 or larger on occasion so having 24mp will be nice. It means a lot less post processing to get an upsample to look good. I'm looking forward to seeing how sharp my images are without the optical low pass filter as well.

The lowlight performance is a biggie for me, I saw samples of ISO up to 6400 and the lack of noise compared to my little D60 is astonishing. I had no idea what I've been missing.

I have a fixed 35mm 1.8 lens that is my go to now. I see no advantage to being able to shoot true wide angle.

It may be more of a camera than I "need" but it is the newest on the market with a lot of really great upgrades, the new expeed-3 processing, no olpf, 1080p 30fps video shooting, great lowlight performance, 15 cross type focus points, bracketing feature...most of which I would get with the d5200, but the 7100 has 30 fps vs 24 on the 5200.

I'm not interested in the d200 or d300, I would just stick with my d60 instead, which gives me great images most of the time.

I think I'm going to go ahead and get the 7100, if I'm going to upgrade I might as well get the best camera I can for my price range. I thought about the refurbished 7000 but the new sensor/video quality/mp is just enough to make me want the 7100.

Oh and I completely agree that film is not dead. I only have a little 35mm minolta, but I love that thing. I'd love to splurge on a medium format but the cost of film makes me cringe. One of my professors has a medium format camera, told me the cost of what he was paying to get finished photos. He just actually bought a D800 because it was "cheaper" than shooting with film.

I started in 1976 a Nikkormat FT2 and a 55mm F3.5 Micro Nikkor. Made a little money over the years, but never made a living.

I've spent the past year archiving all of my film to digital at 4800ppi. I have the scanner for sale on eBay along with the Bronica GS-1 system.

Do you know how much computer power it takes to edit a 48bit TIFF scanned from a 6x7CM slide at 4800ppi? It won't fit on a standard 700MB CD-ROM. LOL!

I'm running Win 7 Pro 64bit on a 3GHZ Quad Core Extreme with 12GB of RAM and a solid state drive. Got a Color Munki to calibrate my 24" monitor . . . Photoshop CS6. Also have a 2TB mirrored NAS for backup.

My next camera will probably be a D7100 - also my first digital, first auto focus, first multi pattern metering, first PLASTIC not METAL . . .

My "dream team" lens choices for the D7100 - because I disagree with Ken Rockwell (who doesn't?)

24mm F1.4G
    35mm F1.8G
    50mm F1.4G
    Tokina 100mm F2.8 Macro

I would rent rather than own any lens over 200mm.

The 7100 had a magnesium alloy body, so techincally it is metal. I've held the 7000 and it has nice weight, feels solid without being too heavy. Personally I won't ever go for a fixed lens below 35mm, I don't like the distortion that starts to happen and it's not worth the post capture editing to me. The 35mm 1.8g is a NICE lens, it really helped me get the best out of my D60. I also have an 18-55 and 55-200, both of which are decent lens but just not the same as the 35.

I go old school for film, full darkroom developing.

I do wish I could get my hands on a medium format just so I could blow my prints up huge and marvel in the sharpness they keep. That is the one big downside to digital.

Sounds good. I have the 35 f1.8, and it's the best cheap lens I've ever owned-well worth the price. I started back in the '60s, in High School, when a built in light meter was a big advance. My bedroom was also my darkroom. If any one of today's digital cameras had plopped down in the '80s even, people would have believed that it was from outter space.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a lens that will match the quality of the camera? It won't be purchased anytime soon but I would like to have a purchase in mind.

What focal length?

The 35mm F1.8G is about the sharpest thing you can put on an APS camera. It really is a gem as long as you do the post processing corrections for lateral color fringing and distortion (either in camera direct to JPG or in raw conversion in Adobe Camera Raw)

All the lenses in my dream list above are capable of resolving detail in the center very close to the D7100 when stopped down to f4 - f5.6. The Tokina 100mm 2.8 macro is one of the sharpest and best corrected macro lenses ever made by anyone and is reputed to deliver great bokeh for portraits.

There are many lenses tested at 16mp on the D7000 here
    http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/overview#nikon_aps

That should give you a good idea of how they would perform on the D7100. It may take some brain strain to understand the numbers, but everything you need to know what the numbers and graphs mean is available on the web site.

Another site with mathematically quantified tests is here -
    http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Len...a-Lens-Ratings

The D7100 hasn't been around long enough for the reviewers to have conducted testing on how various lenses perform on it.

If you don't want your lenses to have to work so hard then the D600 is probably a better choice since it requires 50% less resolution from the lens to deliver the same 24mpixels. But I don't know how the antialiasing filter affects the final result. Where is the D600E???

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    The 7100 really isn't overkill for my needs. I have been putting up with my D60's issues waiting for the "right" camera to come out. Something that was below the price of full frame sensor cameras but above what the usual crop frame has to offer.

I print 20x30 or larger on occasion so having 24mp will be nice. It means a lot less post processing to get an upsample to look good. I'm looking forward to seeing how sharp my images are without the optical low pass filter as well.

The lowlight performance is a biggie for me, I saw samples of ISO up to 6400 and the lack of noise compared to my little D60 is astonishing. I had no idea what I've been missing.

I have a fixed 35mm 1.8 lens that is my go to now. I see no advantage to being able to shoot true wide angle.

It may be more of a camera than I "need" but it is the newest on the market with a lot of really great upgrades, the new expeed-3 processing, no olpf, 1080p 30fps video shooting, great lowlight performance, 15 cross type focus points, bracketing feature...most of which I would get with the d5200, but the 7100 has 30 fps vs 24 on the 5200.

I'm not interested in the d200 or d300, I would just stick with my d60 instead, which gives me great images most of the time.

I think I'm going to go ahead and get the 7100, if I'm going to upgrade I might as well get the best camera I can for my price range. I thought about the refurbished 7000 but the new sensor/video quality/mp is just enough to make me want the 7100.

Oh and I completely agree that film is not dead. I only have a little 35mm minolta, but I love that thing. I'd love to splurge on a medium format but the cost of film makes me cringe. One of my professors has a medium format camera, told me the cost of what he was paying to get finished photos. He just actually bought a D800 because it was "cheaper" than shooting with film.
    My mistake. You obviously sound like less of a light hobby photographer than I had thought. Based on the above info, I'd say if you can afford it, GO FOR IT! I'll be pea green with envy.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.