The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mowers that cut at 5 or 6 inches?

We are looking for a riding mower that will cut at 5 or 6 inches high. So far most of the ones we have looked at only go to 4 inches. It can be a zero turn or a regular riding mower. Are they out there? Where should I look for one? What is the price for one that goes that high? Thanks!

2 members found this post helpful.

Our new zero turn Kubota will mow at 5 inches. It is the 72" diesel model, not cheap, but much faster than our tractor/bush hog combo. The smaller Kubotas might also go to 5". If you are mowing more than an acre or 2, I would recommend a zero turn.

I've been researching mower options too - in terms of finish mowers that don't mount behind a tractor, a zero-turn at 5" height is your best option.

I'm not sure that you'll find a riding mower that can do it unless you swap out larger wheels on it.

The z9xx JD's will do it... But frankly, at this time of the year, the difference between a 2 inches of growth after 4" mow and a straight 6" mow is about 3 hours of sunlight.

Not that I wouldn't buy a lift kit for my 655 if they made one
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Just found another one that cuts at 5" - the Cub Cadet Z-force series.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Our Cub Cadet goes up to 6". I don't have the model info at hand, but it the bigger riding lawn tractor type, heavy duty (not available at Home Depot - those are a lightweight frame), and $$$, but worth every penny. I love that thing. I might even wash and wax it like I do my MINI.

Zero turns are great if you have the place to suit, but we couldn't use one, being on a hill side with uneven terrain. Thought that was what we were going to buy when we first got shopping, but quickly realized it would not work on our place.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think our John Deere goes up to 6" -- I know it goes up to 5". Best thing we ever bought. Sold the Cub Cadet zero turn, JD tractor, pull-behind mower and bush hog when we bought the 72" JD zero turn commercial mower. Unbelievably fast and great at cutting! Saves us so much time! We have about 10 acres total -- about 2 is yard.

We do need a small push mower for a few spots in the back yard, but that's it. We have a great little electric mower for that.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

My Kubota lawn tractor mows to 4" but it will still mow with the mower deck in the "up" position which is about 6". I agree that the type of mower you get should be based more on how much you need to mow v. the cut height. I have 4 acres of pasture and while I can mow it with the lawn tractor, it's not the right tool for the job. The wheels are too small to manage the divots caused by horses, and it's such a bumpy ride that it makes me car sick. It takes forever to mow! But it's easy work for our mid-size Kubota + brush hog. Alternatively, our 3/4 acre lawn is easy with the lawn tractor and the kids can drive it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    I think our John Deere goes up to 6" -- I know it goes up to 5". Best thing we ever bought. Sold the Cub Cadet zero turn, JD tractor, pull-behind mower and bush hog when we bought the 72" JD zero turn commercial mower. Unbelievably fast and great at cutting! Saves us so much time! We have about 10 acres total -- about 2 is yard.

We do need a small push mower for a few spots in the back yard, but that's it. We have a great little electric mower for that.
    That's what I have. Mine goes up to 5. It's fast though. We can cut the 10 acre pasture in about 5 1/2 hours.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    That's what I have. Mine goes up to 5. It's fast though. We can cut the 10 acre pasture in about 5 1/2 hours.
    Which JD and Kubota models, if you don't mind my asking?
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I'll have to look at it when I get home, but we can do the pastures and yards in about 5 hours (10 acres total), and that includes going around trees, through gates, etc. Even our kids (11 to 17) can drive it and mow that quickly. LOVE that mower. We always wear a seat belt and keep the roll bar up. Heck, I have to wear a sports bra!

It's a JD Z850A

Thanks!!

Scag will go to 6". Wonderful tough machine but pricey.

My Scag ZTR cuts at about 6" with the deck all the way up. The mid-mount deck I used to have for my Kubota BX22 also would cut at about 6" with it raised up.

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    My Kubota lawn tractor mows to 4" but it will still mow with the mower deck in the "up" position which is about 6". I agree that the type of mower you get should be based more on how much you need to mow v. the cut height. I have 4 acres of pasture and while I can mow it with the lawn tractor, it's not the right tool for the job. The wheels are too small to manage the divots caused by horses, and it's such a bumpy ride that it makes me car sick. It takes forever to mow! But it's easy work for our mid-size Kubota + brush hog. Alternatively, our 3/4 acre lawn is easy with the lawn tractor and the kids can drive it as well.
    I'd love to know what model this is, as it sounds like it might be a good solution for me. Any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    I'd love to know what model this is, as it sounds like it might be a good solution for me. Any idea?
    I can check tomorrow and let you know which models for both. They are both about 5 years old (maybe a little older) so I'm sure the exact model is not available any longer but the newer version should be similar.

where was this info back when we were struggling? and trying to find a riding mower/lawn tractor. Snif.....ended up? going with Husky, and LIKE the machine, but its at 3.5 inches at best..........not even sure big tires can help? as looks like there is no room with fenders/etc to add them....
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

We have a Craftsman riding mower that has a 7" setting. Little tank that one with 26hp to boot! I was zipping around on it last week cutting our "hayfield" for the first time this season. I'll double check on the model.

Might have to keep that along with the JD 2320, his and her lawn mowers!

Heliodoro,

What Craftsman riding model cuts at 7"?

We are also looking for a riding mower similar to what the OP needs so I am very interested in all of these replies as well...

S1969,

Which Kubota model do you have?

Thanks!