The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Who has that COTH sig that goes, "When someone show you who they are, believe them."?

4 members found this post helpful.

You have received really good advice here. I am curious about something though - when you mention that he has slept with 8 women, is that an issue for you? If so, is it an issue because you think it's too many or because he has had children/wanted to marry such a high proportion of the number of women he's had sex with?

After having read through this thread, I'm asking myself what are the PLUSSES this man brings to a relationship and do they really outweigh the long term minuses you'll have to live with to be with him?

Also, don't believe him about the vasectomy. Use condoms or say no.

NJR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveLongManes View Post
    I hope this is not the case, but sometimes I wonder if it is. Not really sure how to tell.
    Sometimes it's easier to tell for those not in the relationship. I'm with those who say to RUN. RUN far, run fast!

The guys is obviously unstable somehow. I'm guessing there's a type of mental disorder. There's something going on in his mind that is just not altogether healthy.

I can see a teenager falling in love with one person after another in quick succession. But people usually grow out of quick crushes and rash behavior. After multiple children from multiple marriages, this guy hasn't?! Please be careful here. There are more than a few red flags here - they're everywhere!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    Sometimes it's easier to tell for those not in the relationship. I'm with those who say to RUN. RUN far, run fast!

The guys is obviously unstable somehow. I'm guessing there's a type of mental disorder. There's something going on in his mind that is just not altogether healthy.

I can see a teenager falling in love with one person after another in quick succession. But people usually grow out of quick crushes and rash behavior. After multiple children from multiple marriages, this guy hasn't?! Please be careful here. There are more than a few red flags here - they're everywhere!!
    This ~ In spades!
    Please, there are so many others out there. Do yourself a favor! Get out!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

Well, excellent feedback as always. And for a slightly different perspective - my husband has several children from previous (multiple) "failed relationships". That alone is not the kiss of death. I adore most of his exes (wives and partners). We socialize frequently! There is really no drama! My husband has told me exactly why each did not work out and so have they! Usually with him sitting there. I told him I thought he was seriously demented for letting one in particular go (although I was grateful)! He has GREAT taste in women!!! One of my previous partners and his wife have also been over for dinner. But of course, my husband is able to talk about what he needed to change in his life to have a different kind of relationship and we just take it a day at a time. Anyway, the kids and failed relationships alone do not have to be deal breakers (for me anyway, I was not exactly Mother Teresa either!!!)

OTOH, the marrying someone after a month thing would concern me more, unless he is able to say "yeah, I was just lonely and desperate and making a bad choice. Thankfully it didn't work out, and TODAY, because of the changes I've made, I would not do that". If he said something like that, something that sounded like he knew that life was a marathon and not a sprint, I would feel a little more comfortable.

Also, whats up with baby mama drama? I would not be up for that at all, and I guess am spoiled that I have none of that. It "hurts her feelings" if you are around??? What is their relationship? Are they still involved? I agree with Paula that on THAT score he sounds a bit like a man child -

I second (or third or whatever) the either go to counseling or somehow sort out what you want, and assume that this will be messy - there will be other people (baby mamas, kids) in your life. That will not change so it matters how he handles it!

I guess I'd add that if you are NOT really in it for the long haul, bail. his kids wil have enough problems and you don't need to be part of a parade of women diverting his attention from them!

Quote Originally Posted by LoveLongManes View Post
    Thanks to everyone for posting your thoughts. Just to let you (since someone asked), I am in my late 20s and he is almost 40.
    RUN< RUN< RUN ...you'll get over him if you run now. Otherwise you will be in a muck fest forever. Glad he is a supportive Dad but really?? immature is an understatement.

Run Away!!! Run Fast, Run FAR! You don't want anything to do with a guy with a litter of kids. You'll always be second string.

Same advice for guys....never go with a woman with kids, you'll always be second and the divorce rate is phenominally bad.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

If you want to make a life with this guy, he has to support *you* as his partner, which means when his children come to visit, their mother's only input is that her child/ren is/are safe and well-cared for, whoever is around.

I would feel annoyed at his childishness, curious about the history and the speed with which he shifted gears, and anxious to develop good communication patterns with each other. It's difficult to do on your own. I would very much want to go to couples communication workshops or counseling. You need to be able to ask him everything you are wondering about and have him respond as best he can (and work hard to develop his own self-awareness) not get defensive about your "attacking."
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

This story reminds me of my first real relationship. The guy was very, very intense and that seemed like love to me. I eventually realized he was an alcoholic and a generally addictive personality. He fell in love fast and hard. The "love" wasn't about me or about us being a good match, it was about him needing that experience for some reason. I can see how 20 years later he could be just like this guy. He wasn't healthy, he wasn't capable of a stable long-term relationship, and I was better off without him.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

The total number of women he's slept with wouldn't concern me, IF he'd been responsible and respectful about it, which it doesn't sound like he has. Multiple failed marriages IS a concern, everyone makes mistakes, but if you keep making the same one over and over, there's something going on.

The biggest red flag for me, however, is that fact that he is NOT setting appropriate boundaries with this "baby mama" who doesn't want you around her child. Crazy exes are HIS problem, not yours, if he can't or won't keep you out of that drama and shield you from it, do NOT get involved further with him.

I agree with Trak, and the others who said run away. This man wants a babysitter, and not a partner or wife.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

My advice? You say that you are not very experienced with relationships? Try a couple of more guys out before you settle for this one. Yeah, you may love a few things about this guy and he may love a few things about you. But is it enough? Is he the "total package" that you deserve? And this baby mama drama? You realize that she thinks you are another one of his "fillies" in an apparent loooooong line of fillies and doesn't want you around her kid, it could in reality also be because she wants to protect her child from seeing the ENDLESS merry go round of women that this guy is going to subject the child to. Being with this guy will cause more than one person in your life to think of you this way... is this what you want? Remember... this baby mama has been down the road with guy already... she knows him probably better than you...