The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It looks great! Posts like these inspire me. It was a long crappy winter at a new farm and my frustration is at the max. (not be be a cougar, but KR- your son is adorable..... methinks you need to post more do-it-yourself pics with him in it.....) Oh dear, he is being ooggled...
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

1 members found this post helpful.

Great job! I've helped putting mats in my friend's stable (stalls only thank god!) and it wasn't an easy job. Your barn looks lovely.

BTW, I'm 33 and single too... just sayin'

2 members found this post helpful.

Great job! We did my two mare's over-size stalls so I can totally relate!

Working with the plate tamper, left us vibrating for two days!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Cannot believe DS is single! Married woman over here but what a catch! Handsome and a good son and hard worker!

Everything looks great job!

Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post
    We finished!

Thanks to everyone who thought DS handsome ... I am his mom, so I no longer notice these things. But when he was a little boy, it was almost impossible to discipline him because he has these gorgeous blue eyes that just melt you. And he's still single!

This was an incredibly hard job, not technically, but just hard work. We ended up using the Sawzall to cut the mats. We did not have any good luck with the carpet knife. We did the wash bay, the tack room, and the barn aisle. I am tired and aching ... but VERY HAPPY!

He IS cute. But alas I am not single (although I'm probably not too terribly old for him). Unlike all you COUGARS out there! You are right about those pretty blue eyes.

ANYWAY. Awesome job. I'm super jealous. I also keep telling my husband I need a Sawzall (he can't figure out why). I will remember it cuts mats and use that for a reason when I'm matting a run-in this summer.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I'm sorry, it's hard to look at your floors. Your son is so.dang.cute.

*blush*

(ETA: I didn't even read the other responses...glad I'm not the only one!)

TTP -- the sawzall is a great tool, but I have to warn you that it was REALLY hard work! The mats vibrated, the saw vibrated. It was hard to see the line we had marked because of all the vibration. I recommend more, better clamps than we had. Also, without DS, we could not have done it. Neither I nor DH have the hand / arm strength to hang on to that thing! If I'd had to do it myself, it would have taken a month of Sundays, and I would have had to use the carpet knife.

The sawzall worked great, in the right hands. Just a little warning -- it was scary dangerous IMHO. (DS disagrees, but I was watching and he is my dear son. Scared me to death!)

We used the grinder with the cutting wheel to cut the mats around some columns and it worked fine for that.
    We didn't have long stretches to cut, more like smaller corners, the longest spot maybe 24" or so.

You and your crew did a wonderful job, it looks very neat and even.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

KR:
    You are going to LOFF <3 your stonedust floors!

Mine are going on 10 years and in the stalls they are holding up great despite some rodent tunneling and my geldings' constant use of the NE corner of each stall as a urinal.
    Still level and easy to pick, strip and/or rebed.

In my aisles they have compacted to the point they feel like concrete to me (felt like beach sand when new) but still give for the horses as they leave very shallow hoofprints when they step off my "mats" < quotes because I am using rubber roofing material (ice dam?) as mats in my aisle.

Easily swept clean and can even take the occasional hosing.
    Cool in the summer (ask my barncat) and not frigid in Winter.

Great job!
    And if DS ever wants to try my part of the Midwest, I'd let him Sawzall all day long.
    No cougaring here, I just am pretty inept with tools myself
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Very nice! I want to do our feed room which is pallets on pea gravel. We also have some buckling at the seams in the aisle (pea gravel base put in before we knew better). Good tip about the vise grips. Never thought about using something like that. We'll be pulling up 4x6 very thick mats in the aisle and putting in the crusher dust; as well as removing the pea gravel and putting in a nice solid floor in the feed room.

I hope ours turns out as nice as yours did. Is you son near Michigan? He's cute, I could adopt him for a day or two. I make fabulous pies...what granny uses for bait.
    Ride like you mean it.

ezduzit, he really might come help you out just for the pies! He LOVES home-made pie, cherry is his favorite!

My favorite too! And I put lots of filling in. I've won over many a man with a pie. The way to a man's heart is STILL thru his tummy!

ezduzit, he really might come help you out just for the pies! He LOVES home-made pie, cherry is his favorite!
    Ride like you mean it.

Been away at the beach for a week, and just now catching up on COTH....KR...you KNOW I love the barn design/improvement/etc categories.....but I have to LAUGH as, while I'm checking your photos, I was like: DANG that boy is CUTE....(and had to go BACK to even notice the work) hahahaha....love how many others had that same issue! (Now.....while I'm ancient...my DD is 24!!!! (cough cough...) (and now, back to our original programming.......GREAT job, and I know you'll love love love the mats over the stonedust!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

If you have a darling daughter who is level-headed, kind and would LOVE having a mother-in-law with a farm and horses ... please PM your ... errr ... her application!

(Just kidding, of course, but don't we all think arranged marriage for our children is a terrific idea?!)

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Curses on you ezduzit!
    I can not bake worth a darn .

Any other way to lure the KR Offspring to come on as a Hired Hand?

Dang! I do not even have any eligible DDs to offer up.....
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Wow, everything looks great! I love stone dust floors, you'll be so happy with them!

I do have to admit I was distracted by your DS's handsomeness! I'm single, 31, bake a mean pie and an even meaner banana bread! Haha

(Just kidding, of course, but don't we all think arranged marriage for our children is a terrific idea?!)
    In the case of your son, I think it's a great idea!! I'll pm my parents information so the details can be arranged!!

KR...don't think I won't direct her here to this thread!!!!!!!! In a HEARTBEAT! But...sigh......she's kinda shy and most likely wouldn't EVER reach out and say howdy. Small brag? She's heading to graduate school.....full funding---had lots to choose from, but decided on Chapel Hill UNC....AAAACCCK...Gonna miss her so much. hmmm...maybe a gorgeous hunk son of a horsewoman would be a GREAT thing to encourage her more frequent visits?
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    These photos read like a horsewoman test... do you see the nice new stonedust and mats... or do you see what nice offspring (handsome AND helpful!!) Mr. and Mrs. Ransom have?
    Hahaha I failed! You have a very handsome son Mrs. Ransom! (his shirt is funny as well)