The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lower leg problem

I am told that it looks like I am constantly nagging my horse with my lower leg. Here is the problem the horse I am riding is very wide on top. However his belly disappears below my knee. When I try to keep my lower leg quiet my legs become tense. To me it feels like they are swinging with his movement but fall towards the back of his body. You can actually see the mark where my leg has been rubbing him. The only way I can make contact with his body is to bend my legs in under his belly. This is quite difficult when trying to stay loose and following with the thighs.

Any helpful hints or pointers will be appreciated.

Have you tried putting your stirrups up a couple of holes?
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

1 members found this post helpful.

Will he respond to your leg on the available surface of his side? They have nerves there too. That way you need not be attempting to reach the unreachable. This is a problem managed by short riders, on tall horses.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

... _. ._ .._. .._

[QUOTE=Bristol Bay;6950006]Have you tried putting your stirrups up a couple of holes?[/QUOT

My new trainer just put them down a hole.

Thanks Equibrit for that thread. I have been working on a lot of the suggestions mentioned in that thread. To me it feels that it is the horses swinging belly that makes my leg look busy. In order to keep the leg still I have to clamp it on his side which of course creates tension. I don't have this problem with my other two horses who are more slab sided.

I am going to try to get a video of my riding. It may be easier to fix the problem if I can see for myself what is going on.