The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Cool Just for Fun....where would you go?

Where would you go if you could take a horsey vacation anywhere in the world? I think I would chose foxhunting in Ireland!

I was going to saw Ireland ( which I have done - best time ever!), but 2 others on the list are horseback wine tour in Tuscany and horseback safari in Africa
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

You went foxhunting in Ireland? JEALOUS! Ooooooh safari on horseback would be cool! I went beach riding in Honduras and that was pretty cool. We rode through narrow alleyways to get to the beach. If I had attempted to do that on my horse I wouldn't be alive to tell the tale! another one that looks fun is beach riding in New Zealand!

I did horse riding in Ireland so my next big horsey adventure would either be riding up in Montana (think Pale Rider, absolutely gorgeous scenery) for a week, or something I read about year ago where you trailed from B&B to B&B that hosted stables. Lastly (its hard to choose one), I'd go to Austria and spend time riding in the alps in Austria. Sterling and I can get a beach ride in at some point here in SC so not as big a draw.

No, one week training with Sinead Halpin ... no Becky Holder...wait, Denny Emerson...oh crap, to hard to choose

Trekking through mountains in South America, specifically around the Cotopaxi National Park

If only I could find that money tree...
    All that is gold does not glitter;
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

If I could go anywhere in the world I would leave my horse at home and do my bucket list. (Great Wall of China, northern lights in Alaska, Jerusalem, Istanbul, India, cruise the Panama canal, Orient Express)

But if it had to be a horsey escape, I'd . . . still leave my horses at home and go horse-shopping in New Zealand!
    Click here before you buy.

Hacking thru Ireland.

I might just go back to Ecuador. Cotopaxi was indeed magical and incredible riding.

Of course, I also want to ride across Mongolia. And Africa. And Iceland. And Patagonia. Ermmmm... Wow, I chose my career poorly.

Horse trekking in Iceland. I did a 3 hour ride there a few years ago and it made me want more!

I'd also love to participate in one of the "stock drives" out west, when they bring the summer season horses and cattle down to a lower elevation for the winter. I don't know the slightest thing about cattle driving, though, and hopefully they wouldn't laugh at me for wearing a helmet!
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    If I could go anywhere in the world I would leave my horse at home and do my bucket list. (Great Wall of China, northern lights in Alaska, Jerusalem, Istanbul, India, cruise the Panama canal, Orient Express)

But if it had to be a horsey escape, I'd . . . still leave my horses at home and go horse-shopping in New Zealand!
    Yeah, kinda agree (though, I personally would take my horse shopping trip on the British isles or possibly France and not the Southern hemisphere....the wonderful but completely bat s**t crazy NZ horse we imported killed THAT desire!). My only exception would be doing my African safari on horseback. THAT has been on my list since I was a little kid. And the only reason I want to do by horseback is I feel like you'd REALLY get to see stuff up close and personal than if you're in a Jeep

I'd also love to participate in one of the "stock drives" out west, when they bring the summer season horses and cattle down to a lower elevation for the winter.
    I did that once, out in Aspen. Just a day's ride, but WOW was that great. Savvy, smart, tough little quarter horse gave me one of the best rides I've ever had. He was a palomino with half an ear named "Doc".
    Click here before you buy.

I would like to go out west on one of those stock drives as well

When I was in grade school I remember putting "Go to Saudi Arabia and ride Arabians across the desert", and honestly I think I'd still like to do that! However, fox hunting in Ireland would be just amazing. My trainer did an African safari on horseback, and says it's one of the most awe-inspiring, humbling experiences ever. After seeing some of her pictures, that would definitely be on my list as well.