The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Run in shed footing

We're looking at a property with a metal barn 3/4 of it is a completely closed barn the end of the remaining 1/4 is covered but no sides. I was thinking this coudl be used as a run in shed.

The problem (maybe???) is: It is concrete under the covered part. Can you put dirt over it? How much dirt? I really don't want to remove the concrete. What is the best option?

What is wrong with the concrete as is? SURE makes it easier to clean out the shed area. Maybe get some rubber mats if you think the floor is too hard. You might find used mats cheaper than new, or buy a-mat-a-week, to get the floor covered eventually.

I would think covering with dirt would just leave the area mucky, since dirt won't drain well after getting peed on or rain comes in the sides. Turn shed into a fly attraction and then breeding ground with moisture.

I don't like horses standing on concrete. One of my mares foundered/rotated so surface hardness makes a differnce. Rubber mats can be really slippery.

I agree, I wouldn't just leave a run-in with plain concrete, unless I knew they would only be using it very intermittently.

I have rubber mats in my run-in. It's not like my horses are running around in there, so I don't feel that "slippery" is a quality that I am concerned about. Plus you can get different textures of rubber mats. I have both solid and the holey kind (the holey kind near the front & outside for drainage from rain)

And yes, you could put dirt over the concrete, as much as you want. (well, wait... would the dirt be going up against the metal sides of the barn? You don't want to rust out your barn) It depends on what KIND of dirt too, because sandy soil vs. clay soil would make a huge difference as to how that worked out for you. But where does the urine go? The urine will build up and the ammonia smell will start to become quite noticeable... you'll have to have a plan to deal with that. Another option would be to bed it like a stall. Either way, you'll have to clean it out periodically.

One thing I've noticed since I've put the rubber mats in my run-in (I used to have just screenings) is that they hate to urinate on them. They make the effort to walk the 10 feet to go outside. They still poop in there, so it doesn't eliminate clean-up, but it's a lot quicker to pick up a few piles off the mats than to sift through shavings/straw looking for wet spots etc.

They put dirt over concrete in Madison Square Garden when they have horse shows, so it should be OK. The only thing to think about is drainage, if rain blows in or horses pee. I think stone dust, that is compacted would be better.

We would have to put wood kick wall up next to the metal, so dirt or screenings wouldn't be directly next to the metal.

I have concerns with the structure's three solid walls.... The weather here in the summer can make that into an oven.

We left the top two feet on our barn in panels that we can open to provide ventilation .... Even in the winter it rarely is cold enough to seal the barn

as for the floor... what about recycled rubber mulch ... just loose ?

http://www.southwestrubbermulch.com/...ber_Mulch.html

We would have to add a vent fan to pull the hot air out of the roof area.

Rubber footing is a great idea. I wonder if you could use burlap sacks filled with this stuff, lay them down side by side, add a top layer of solid mat, and mak your own comfort stall for a fraction of the price. LOL

use a solar powered fan; it will qualify for the 30% solar fed tax credit which is good through the end of 2016 unless extended

hadn't thought of that. Thanks. Who would have them?

ours are matted (but not concrete undeneath)
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook