The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Well, 24 hours after depo injection and my adorable boy seems to be resurfacing. He's back in with his buds for turn out because he was just so stressed without them that the weight was dripping off of him and I have family in town this week, so I can't coax him to eat and stay on top of his every need as I'd like. At least he eats when surrounded by his boys. He was still pushing them all around more than usual this am and wouldn't let BO catch him or his 2 best buds, but came right to me when I called, bringing his pals with him, this afternoon. Then he came in the barn and, instead of walking in circles and screaming, he attacked his Himalayan salt block and ate dinner like he'd been starved for days. And rather than heading straight off to herd his friends around when I turned him back out, he checked me over for goodies and presented all his itchy spots. Didn't go join The Boys until I was ready to leave. Oh! And solid manure!! And no peeing! What could be more exciting?!
    I'm not saying he's cured, but I'm feeling some relief and he's DEFINITELY feeling happier and more relaxed. YAY!
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

6 members found this post helpful.

i would also try the pop rocks, they work amazingly well for the picky ones.
    Fullcirclefarmsc.com

I'm glad your horse is doing better. Fwiw, my mare that had lost her mind seems to be back to normal (knock wood), and I didn't treat her for anything. I thought it was just Spring fever. My trainer thought she might have had a reaction to vaccines. We decided to wait and see.

I'm not saying you shouldn't treat - maybe I'm the bad horse owner - but it's possible that sometimes we attribute results to the treatment when it was just a passing thing anyway.

2 members found this post helpful.

I hear you, Discobold, but when I say he'd lost his mind, I mean he was unrecognizable. And he wasn't eating well, drinking less, peeing more, had diarrhea, lost tons of weight in a matter of weeks and seemed always preoccupied and hyper alert. Many of the horses at our place have had spring fever this year, but none even hold a candle to my horse. Having owned him all his life (and having had his mom, dad, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, etc...) I know there was more going on than a case of spring sillies. Consulting with another owner of the same bloodline was what convinced me to go the depo route.
    But I agree, oftentimes we rush for the syringes and needles too soon. It pays to know your horse's baseline and how far he or she can get from that baseline before it's really time to worry.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen

I totally get it, Jackie Blue, and I've treated also without a definitive diagnosis. What matters is that your guy is returning to normal. I think 50% of horse management is guesswork. My trainer believes, in my mare's case, it was the vaccines and has already decided we're spreading them out next year. So, if she's totally normal next year, is it because we spread out the vaccines? Who knows.

Default He's back!

Well, I seem to have my big, snuggly sweetie pie back after a strange finding. The boy has still been NQR personality wise. Slightly more sane and eating better after depo injection and starting ranitidine. But still not himself. I kept getting the feeling that something in his hind end was bothering him, but there was nothing specific and he wasn't lame, per se. On Monday, I put him on the lunge to gauge just how much brain matter had returned and, while he was fairly well behaved, he was short-short-short and choppy behind. I was aghast! This is a horse that usually has a big, swinging trot and tracks waaay up with both hinds, even on a small circle. Right hind seemed shorter than left, but again, no clear lameness, just short and quick. He looked like a sped-up film at the trot.
    Naturally, I went over him AGAIN with a fine-toothed comb, found nothing and I called the vet. Vet came Wednesday and, as I was picking his feet prior to his exam, I discovered a VERY soft, squishy spot on the RH lateral heel bulb. He even flinched a little when I palpated it and, let me tell you, this is the most stoic boy I've ever known. Total Tough Guy.
    Wrapped him up with a soaked Animalintex pad overnight and sure enough, we had a massive explosion of the heel bulb sometime that night. He was pretty sore and miserable on Thursday, but WAY better yesterday. AND he's completely back! My snuggly, home bred and raised Momma's Boy is back! He's back to coming when I call him, whinnying whenever he sees me, walking over to the fence when any human is nearby (who knows? They might offer scratchies or treats?) and lounging (at least some of the time) when he's in his stall.
    Who knew that a seriously ouchy foot would turn him into a raging lunatic with no interest in people whatsoever? And why couldn't he just hop around cripple-style like any normal horse with a big ol' abscess? Silly boy. I feel like such a dunce that in 12 years with him I'm only just now learning that maybe at least some of the times that he's come temporarily unglued like this, something was bugging the crap out of him physically! But he's so dedicated to hiding any signs of weakness that I guess I can forgive myself. Humph. Horses.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
    Well, I seem to have my big, snuggly sweetie pie back after a strange finding. ...
    Who knew that a seriously ouchy foot would turn him into a raging lunatic with no interest in people whatsoever? And why couldn't he just hop around cripple-style like any normal horse with a big ol' abscess? Silly boy. I feel like such a dunce that in 12 years with him I'm only just now learning that maybe at least some of the times that he's come temporarily unglued like this, something was bugging the crap out of him physically! But he's so dedicated to hiding any signs of weakness that I guess I can forgive myself. Humph. Horses.
    Very interesting outcome, JackieBlue. I'd like to bet that quite a lot of animal behavior that people tend to write off as bad temperament, aggression, or craziness may well be due to undetected physical discomfort.
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Schnauzers, Boxers, Western, & Polo Ponies

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

4 members found this post helpful.

He is a lucky horse to have someone who knows him so well. I am glad to hear you got your snuggly boy back.

Yay!! The problem has been uncovered!

I am glad that your boy's brain has returned. Hopefully, he will be back to himself in no time, physically and mentally.

But. . . but. . . but. . .wasn't it ulcers? I thought it was always ulcers.

Glad your good boy is back

7 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for knowing your horse and solving the puzzle.
    It oft bothers me when owners are too quick to conclude "I 've had the vet out and there is nothing physically wrong with him, he is just being a jerk."
    I just want to say "keep looking " especially when it is a drastic change from previous behavior.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    But. . . but. . . but. . .wasn't it ulcers? I thought it was always ulcers.

Glad your good boy is back

;-) Well, I did skip the ranitidine for a day and a half after finding the abscess. The stuff tastes like crap on a cracker and I started to feel like a bully cramming it down the poor guy's throat. On the second evening of no ranitidine the juicy manure came back, so I did go back to poisoning him regularly with the ranitidine. 2 doses later, solid apples again.
    But I'll argue till the cows come home that it was the pain in his foot making him act like a teenage orangutan and the rest is just my always-full-of-himself guy.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    Thanks for knowing your horse and solving the puzzle.
    It oft bothers me when owners are too quick to conclude "I 've had the vet out and there is nothing physically wrong with him, he is just being a jerk."
    I just want to say "keep looking " especially when it is a drastic change from previous behavior.
    You have a point there, Bearcat. Before Wednesday afternoon, neither myself nor 2 vets (1 who's known him all his life) could find anything specific wrong with the boy. Nothing. It was obvious he wasn't his usual self and he definitely wasn't happy, but he wasn't lame, no fever, no obvious tender spots, he was eating and pooping, no nasal or eye discharge, no cough....no nothin'! Nothing he wanted to share with us just yet, that is. He's always been an extremely dominant, confident type. Always herd leader, always on his A game, Mr. Macho. It really does make sense that he would do everything possible not to let on to any weakness. This was a good reminder to me to give him the benefit of the doubt when he acts out of character. Even though he is everything I just listed (dominant-type, self confident, etc.), he's also terribly personable, loving and kind to "his people". It was SO odd for that part of his personality to simply vanish. I'm SO glad I didn't leave him in work and SO, SO glad I put him back in with His Boys after only 2 nights of separation. Thanks for the push on that one, COTH!