The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Yesterday my crazy obsessive neighbour next door was burning yard waste in high winds, and one of his 8 home schooled kids, dressed in all his winter clothes, was out mowing the lawn...in the snow.

A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

2 members found this post helpful.

Mowing the lawn in the snow... now that is a new one! How does that even work?? lol

P.

Yeegawd - poor kid. Does he make him measure the grass when done?!?

My issue is having piles of both summer and winter clothes out. Now don't dare put the winter ones away...

And had to add another layer under the rain sheet. My guy did a beautiful job of blowing his coat. Isn't that supposed to be the sign winter's over?
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Flurries, snow pellets and WIND yesterday, frost overnight.

I am just sick of piling on all the clothes everytime I have to go outside, boots, vest, jacket, gloves, toque....
    meanwhile the other day it was so warm, I had the sunroof open in the car and wore sandals!

I would imagine the songbirds and spring peepers are a tad cranky too.

Can't last though, right?
    Fred, I can't agree more! You stated it so well about all the extra layers and my peepers at night are VERY vocal. I almost thought all the robins left and I have seen many flocks of geese headed south again!
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

My guys haven't finished shedding yet so I was hoping to be able to wash all but the lightweight turnouts. This AM it was 24 F so now I'm not sure-will wait till mid May now.

The only reason the boys were bare naked is the wind was out of the west yesterday (stalls open to east) and last night it had eased off a lot by 10 PM so I decided not to put their lightweights on. Wind really died down considerably so my one guy did 4 piles outside and the other boy even did one.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I am waiting for a mare to foal, as is the barn owner. Both were 'due' about 10 days ago. They just can't make up their minds in this rollercoaster weather! Let's hope the full moon this coming Thursday gets them moving.

Sheesh. I'm think I'm pretty lucky to be living in Mass. I mean we did wake up to temperatures in the low 30's ,with a nasty windchill, at the end of April but at least we don't have anymore stinking snow! I have had enough of winter and I really LIKE winter!

So sorry for everybody who is still dealing with the alcoholic Old Man Winter.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Welcome to global warming.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Guess I'll stop complaining about a high today of about 57 F, getting into the 60's by mid week.

I honestly could not live anywhere that was still snow covered near the end of April.

-9C again this morning, and to add insult to injury, both my rubber boots cracked at the ankles while I was out in the cold. Boo. At least the wind has stopped and the sun is shining today.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

I posted this a couple of days ago, but here it is again - Corinne Newton's Let's Take Backk Summer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4vpSVu7KxoShe lives about 60 miles north of me, in the Valley, and in town but it still gives an idea of how much whiteshit lies across southern Saskatchewan. They say this is the worst since 1947 when trains got buried....oh wait, that happened this year too, although it was just one rather than many.To the poster who made the comment about global warming - you've been listening to David Suzuki, haven't you!!! The geneticist turned environment expert, aka Canada's most visible nutjob global warming preponent. The man actually DID say this never ending winter is indeed attributable to global warming and is a direct result. Anyone who cares to do a bit of research (real in archives rather than trying online) can find parallels in weather going back to when they started keeping records for the area of interest. Ours go back to 1880 and, yep, this has happened before and likely will again. Now if that howling wind would just go away.......it is just nasty and will make it impossible to feed this morning, thankfully, I gave Wallkicker about 60 pounds of hay last night so he is good to suppertime.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    Sunridge, your link still didn't work for me? I do have facebook but it comes up as "currently not available".
    Try it again. The privacy settings are very confusing. This is the finished product.
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...64224412_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    I posted this a couple of days ago, but here it is again - Corinne Newton's Let's Take Backk Summer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4vpSVu7Kxo
    That was hilarious!

We had a dusting of snow here overnight. Hello, it's almost May!! Come on.

Perhaps I should just blow up this picture and tape it over the window for a month or so (taken May 2012) http://i.imgur.com/3Naewk2.jpg
    Like the Simpsons movie when Homer has the picture of Alaska taped up inside the windshield as he's driving.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    Try it again. The privacy settings are very confusing. This is the finished product.
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...64224412_n.jpg
    Nice! So do you actually "can" it as in process it for long-term storage? I know nothing about maple syrup and I always keep it in the fridge.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Loved the video. Yeah, we keep saying to ourselves "At least there are no bugs".
    Jigga:

My apologies for the long paragraph. I haven't a clue what happened and I really did put breaks in it. New (to me) computer, upgrading all the software so maybe the new Exploder.....er Explorer did it
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Nice! So do you actually "can" it as in process it for long-term storage? I know nothing about maple syrup and I always keep it in the fridge.
    Nope, I just used my canning jars, and will store in the fridge. You pour into the jars hot (180°F) so there is no need for processing. It turned out beautifully. I made some corn bread and had a wonderful snack last night.

Our neighbors here a bit south of sunridge are commercial
    producers. The one thing to know about making maple
    syrup (other than which trees to tap) is that it takes around
    40 gallons of sap to make one gallon of syrup. Takes a lot
    of boiling to remove enough water. We have a sugarbush
    on our farm but I let my neighbor collect it.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

My global warming comment was a joke. I never believed in it and this winter proves that weather is cyclical. Unless we start directly trying to control and mess with it.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"