The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by monstrpony View Post
    Down here in the sunny south, my local forecast has a frost advisory.

And a pollen alert.
    That's just sick and wrong.

Well, those of you that posted all the snowy pictures make me feel just the tiniest bit guilty about cussing out Mother Nature this morning. We just had 2 lovely days in the low 70's and this AM it was 33 F and the wind whistling at about 35 mph and it was not only raining, but then snow flurries (didn't stick thank god), followed by sun and clouds. It's at a whopping 36 F and feels like 27 and supposed to go down to the mid 20's tonight according to the Weather Channel.

You know the expression that 'If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes and it will change.' Sure fit today.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Come here, winter, you are welcome to party on! We had cold rain yesterday and almost-cool sunshine today -- finally two days of decent weather after a summer-hot week. Ah, April! Cold and damp Sunday, hot and sunny for the next 4 days, then more cold rain.

I could use some snow!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

For the record, today makes six months of this crap - SIX months it has been snowing and blowing and generally foul and constantly gloomy. I am stuck again and tonight? freezing rain!!!! @#*#&^)^&
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    For the record, today makes six months of this crap - SIX months it has been snowing and blowing and generally foul and constantly gloomy. I am stuck again and tonight? freezing rain!!!! @#*#&^)^&
    Is this how your winters are normally? I have found this winter to be more like the winters I remember growing up.... the last 5 or 6 years or so have not been that bad so I think I got spoiled!
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

1 members found this post helpful.

I've been boiling sap since for Maple Syrup since around 9AM. Almost finished now. Meanwhile, in the side yard, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    I've been boiling sap since for Maple Syrup since around 9AM. Almost finished now. Meanwhile, in the side yard, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1
    We're going to try to tap some trees next year, I think. Is it very hard work? And your link didn't work for me.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Try it the link now.

We are done! Out of about 10 gallons of sap we made 1¼ quarts of syrup. It is not difficult. We bought the taps and bags at a local Sugar Bush with a beginners books. Followed the directions except these trees were in with the horses so we had to tap the trees 15 feet high (I have ASB's long necks....) so the horses wouldn't knock them down and chew then up. It took about 8 hours to boil down.

What a great feeling at the end of sloppy, snowy, can't really do anything day. I'm making corn bread muffins. Warm home made muffins, melted butter, fresh maple syrup....oh so yummy. gah I'm starved!

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    Can I come over for breakfast? I'll bring the pancake ingredients! OP, your first post made me laugh out loud! Nice view from your kitchen, though! Monstrpony, I'm contemplating making a fire...while wiping pollen off the windowsills *again*.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

I wish to apologize for whining about the flurries we had today in S. Ont, but that 75F weather on Tuesday really spoiled me!

Aaaauuugghhh! Make it go away! It has been the Winter that WILL NOT END.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Ok, I'll quit complaining about winds and temps around 60. I'll drink some Nice red wine to alleviate your suffering???

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    Is this how your winters are normally? I have found this winter to be more like the winters I remember growing up.... the last 5 or 6 years or so have not been that bad so I think I got spoiled!
    No, we don't normally have 6 months of winter, it just set in in October and decided it wanted to take up what is beginning to look like permanent residence. '

In case anyone is wondering, it is very difficult to move a 1600 pound bale over snow and mud. AND I have to clean the lane again......drifted 2' deep for 200 feet - too slimy with mud underneath to move it today since it actually got quite warm, all the way to +3°C(warm here is relevent to -10°C for the last while)

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post
    Nice view from your kitchen, though!
    Thanks! That's what I see to the right, this is the left view out the same window this morning: http://i.imgur.com/kS3gXmM.jpg
    Lovely views, BUT I'm SO DONE with looking at the snow! It was snowy and windy ALL day today. The temp right now reads 26.6F

Perhaps I should just blow up this picture and tape it over the window for a month or so (taken May 2012) http://i.imgur.com/3Naewk2.jpg
    Jigga:

Sunridge, your link still didn't work for me? I do have facebook but it comes up as "currently not available".
    Jigga:

Here in the Albany NY area, the temps are again dipping below freezing tonight. That I can handle, it's the wind that is driving me crazy. We have had high wind warnings several times a week since January. The other day the temp reached a pleasant 60F, but with winds at a sustained 25-30mph! It's 60 and I'm still wearing a down coat!
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by mht View Post
    I wish to apologize for whining about the flurries we had today in S. Ont, but that 75F weather on Tuesday really spoiled me!
    I think that's harder to deal with than the constant cold of winter, like a house guest that just won't leave. The promise of warm weather and then having it snatched away is tough. I've been through that before. The neverending summers can also get tiresome--when it's in the upper 90s and low 100s for weeks, or months, on end.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Well, it's at it again. Fell asleep on the couch, missed whodunnit on Midsomer Murders, and woke to a screaming wind and blowing snow - can't see town lights so I must assume it's snowing again. Just what I need.......MORE of that crap.

Weather liar says it's supposed to get close to seasonal temps by next weekend. I don't believe them anymore.

Flurries, snow pellets and WIND yesterday, frost overnight.

I am just sick of piling on all the clothes everytime I have to go outside, boots, vest, jacket, gloves, toque....
    meanwhile the other day it was so warm, I had the sunroof open in the car and wore sandals!

I would imagine the songbirds and spring peepers are a tad cranky too.

Can't last though, right?
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Best.Title.EVER!
    Thanks for sharing it, OP

Here - aside from Psycho Temps going up & down like a yo-yo - I am wondering when the mud will dry up so my excavator can start working on my plan to end mud: gravel!

I am also amazed neither horse nor pony have epic outbreaks of scratches.
    I don't think their feet have been dry for 24h since last month.

No snow here except for some flurries & sleet.
    My grass is not only green but it looks like it needs mowing.
    Which ain't gonna happen as the ground is too soft for the mower.

At least my misery has company here
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009