The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question How to Beat the Heat: Speed Air and EIS?

As a person who struggles with the slightest amount of heat or humidity, I have been seriously considering buying a GPA speed air (I need a new helmet & they actually fit me quite well) and/or an EIS sun shirt.

What are your experiences with these two products in heat and humidity? How does the speed air compare to a CO GR8 in regards to heat and humidity? How do the EIS shirts compare to regular polos?

I am willing to splurge on these products because they could potentially help me survive the summer while maintaining a clean, professional look.

Thank you!

The GPA SpeedAir changed my ability to ride in the warmer months. I sweat a tonne and found myself over heating quite easily in the warm weather when I had a normal helmet on. I splurged on a SpeedAir a couple years ago and have never looked back. I still sweat, but I no longer get horrible headaches or feel like fainting after just one ride. I can comfortably ride several and never feel like I am too hot! I thought it would be too cold in the winter, but I haven't had a problem with that, either.
    I'd rather be riding!

2 members found this post helpful.

In the hot Texas sun I live in my EIS sun shirts. There are also Swing brand golf shirts, and Wellington brand from Dover that are the same thing, but without the weird bib fabric lining around the zipper.
    I splurged on a speed air last year and am so glad I did. So much cooler than any other helmet I have worn. And I sweat like a man. LOL

1 members found this post helpful.

The Speed Air is lovely. I miss mine so much... took a hard fall and ended up replacing it with a Samshield, the air flow is nowhere near as good

As for the EIS shirts, I really like them - can't say I notice a huge difference in temperature, maybe I'm really oblivious? However, they're super comfortable, lightweight, and eliminate that nasty farmer's tan (or burn in my case).

As far as the EIS shirts go, while I don't know that I feel any cooler wearing one (the Ice-Fil fabric is supposed to feel 5* cooler), I certainly don't feel any hotter. And definitely hooray for no farmer's tan (or worse)! They seem to run a bit small and a bit short, FYI.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

The Speed Air is well worth the investment. You can literally feel a breeze on your head when you ride. BEST HELMET EVER.