The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default West, TX...

I can't find the thread again but I have to say I'm feeling for them. This Boston thing has just completely bumped them off the "front page".

It reminds me of when the tornadoes of April 27, 2010 came through and wiped out approx. 250 people in Alabama. All the news was here for about a day and then something else big happened in the news (I don't even remember what) and, poof, no more news coverage. Today, when people think about tornadoes of 2010, they think Joplin (who also got hit hard but got way more coverage).

I know the people of West are strong and don't really I need any help but it'd be nice if we could all think good thoughts for them. They have some hard days ahead.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

It was horrific, to say the least! I must gently disagree--I believe they do need our help and prayers as their town has been obliterated. When I look at the photos, especially the aerial ones, I'm shocked that a fertilizer plant of that size was smack in the middle of town, so close to a hospital, schools and a nursing home! That seems crazy to me. Let's hope that as the Boston situation wraps up, the national focus shifts back to West and its recovery.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

A man died trying to rescue horses next to the fertilizer plant. I had not heard this before this morning.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news...where_pla.html

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    It was horrific, to say the least! I must gently disagree--I believe they do need our help and prayers as their town has been obliterated. When I look at the photos, especially the aerial ones, I'm shocked that a fertilizer plant of that size was smack in the middle of town, so close to a hospital, schools and a nursing home! That seems crazy to me. Let's hope that as the Boston situation wraps up, the national focus shifts back to West and its recovery.
    I can't imagine. I can't imagine any of it. I couldn't live that close to a fertilizer plant, but then people here live pretty close to a nuclear plant.

And I, also, think they need our help; however, they've told local news people that "they'll take care of their own." I LOVE that sense of self sufficient-ness (is that a word) but if we can help, I think we should - even if it's just in prayer or well wishes.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I found the other thread, and read it all, because the idea of this disaster just blows my mind! My brother is a nuclear engineer, and his experiences with nuclear power have eased my mind a great deal about those places, but my goodness--this place was smack in the center of town! I know industrial disasters can occur anywhere, but this is just so crazy. A reminder that staying aware of one's surroundings, making choices about where we live, and the necessity for some kind of regulation regarding business and industry is not a bad thing perhaps.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Yes, i've been thinking about them too-- did find this:

http://www.firehouse.com/news/109248...s-firefighters
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

They do need help. They desperately need blood donors and water, at least as far as I am hearing. I am trying to find a place to go donate both right now, I only live about 1.5 hrs from West.

My aunt and uncle raised their family there, and then raised their grandkids there, so I didn't need the news people to tell me where it was.

It's a tragedy for sure, and maybe even a crime.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

The regulations I work with concerning ammonia (and anhydrous is very hazardous) are Calif. regulations. The federal regulations are less stringent-if anything I guess. A worst case release is modeled for impacts to the surrounding area, these requirements are not OSHA which is only for worker safety. I do hope that Texas adds some risk assessment requirements to the plants that pose such a hazardous risk to the community.

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    I can't find the thread again but I have to say I'm feeling for them. This Boston thing has just completely bumped them off the "front page".

It reminds me of when the tornadoes of April 27, 2010 came through and wiped out approx. 250 people in Alabama. All the news was here for about a day and then something else big happened in the news (I don't even remember what) and, poof, no more news coverage. Today, when people think about tornadoes of 2010, they think Joplin (who also got hit hard but got way more coverage).

I know the people of West are strong and don't really I need any help but it'd be nice if we could all think good thoughts for them. They have some hard days ahead.
    Think how Kim Jong Un feels,,, hes been kicked of the front page of every news paper by the Boston bombings...

Quote Originally Posted by charismaryllis View Post
    Yes, i've been thinking about them too-- did find this:

http://www.firehouse.com/news/109248...s-firefighters
    Thanks for posting. What is SUPER terrible about this is that most of the dead are first responders from what I can gather. What a terrible reminder of how much they put there lives on the line to quell danger. It seems that evacuations saved countless other lives - the pictures of the collapsed housing units just take my breath away (and not in a good way).
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    Think how Kim Jong Un feels,,, hes been kicked of the front page of every news paper by the Boston bombings...
    Wow. Seriously? It's funny we're not thinking about the threat of North Korea because of the nut in Boston and 75 people dead in an explosion in Texas?

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Wow. Seriously? It's funny we're not thinking about the threat of North Korea because of the nut in Boston and 75 people dead in an explosion in Texas?
    It is only funny to Noms and I'm sure those that think like her.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    I'm shocked that a fertilizer plant of that size was smack in the middle of town, so close to a hospital, schools and a nursing home! That seems crazy to me. .
    well the danger may be in your back yard also.... google "Canadian Pacific Railway Freight Train 292-16 " which came close to wiping Minot, North Dakota on the map.... 388 tons (about 146,700 gallons) of anhydrous ammonia blew up

Nitrates and Ammonia compounds are relatively safe to handle, but when things go wrong, it can be in a big way, as in the 1947 Texas City explosion. It happened almost to the day of the one in West.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

There is a lot of need in West. The volunteer EMS lost ambulances and supplies in addition to people, and they will be getting a check from me. There are requests going out locally for volunteers, too. I have been gone a few days and will figure out what help is still needed in the AM and can let others know...
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    There is a lot of need in West. The volunteer EMS lost ambulances and supplies in addition to people, and they will be getting a check from me. There are requests going out locally for volunteers, too. I have been gone a few days and will figure out what help is still needed in the AM and can let others know...
    Please PM me with info, in case OT day is closed.
    A helmet saved my life.

Yes. We were just talking about this at dinner tonight...the Boston drama (close to us) totally overshadowed, in the media, what happened in Texas .

And, Noms, on the North Korea thing. I made a, not funny, joke, right before we flew out of Boston last Saturday to head to CA, that we might be making a mistake to fly 3000 miles closer to Kim Jong Un. Instead, we flew 3000 miles away from the unanticipated danger in Boston. Honestly, I felt terrible, being 3000 miles away, when all hell broke loose at home...I lived in Watertown for years and still have friends and family there. It's small consolation, and hard, to know you are safe when some you care about are directly in harms way and your only connection is over national news feeds when cell phone service is totally disrupted.

I don't know if this has already been posted somewhere, but click on the link and then move your mouse pointer back and forth over the satellite photo:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...the-blast.html
    Yes, I know how to spell. I'm using freespeling!

freespeling

Default where to help

Here is where you can donate to the families of the fallen firefighters:

http://www.regonline.com/builder/sit...ventID=1229033

I got the link by reading the Dallas newspaper.
    A helmet saved my life.