The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question LONDON Riding Options

Hi Everyone! This summer I will be studying abroad in London for 6 weeks. I'm very excited! However, I've been working really hard this year to regain my confidence and strength for jumping, and I am slowly getting my eye back. I really don't want to get this far only to take 6 weeks off and lose it all! So, does anyone know of some options for riding while I am in London? I know there are places where you can do rides in Hyde Park, but optimally I'd love a place where I could take a jumping lesson once a week. I don't jump very big at this point (mainly small crossrails and verticals), so I don't necessarily have to find a really competitive place, but I would like somewhere that is reputable and accessible from London. Any suggestions would really be appreciated!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

What general area in London will you be living in? I know a few places SW of London (around Guildford) but if you are living in the North they're no good...London is HUGE, so your location will affect travel time out of the city.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I used to live in Camden Town and worked near Hampstead Heath (north London). I rode at Trent Park Equestrian Centre. I tried a few different barns - but this was my favorite. They have nice horses (not just school horses) and lease/boarding options if you want to bring in your own horse. As an added bonus - I was able to take the tube and walk from the station. Have fun!

I also highly recommend going on a treck out of London. I went on one in Wales and another in Exmoor. They were great fun - meeting wild ponies on the moores and pub lunch stops. Enjoy your time there!

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    What general area in London will you be living in? I know a few places SW of London (around Guildford) but if you are living in the North they're no good...London is HUGE, so your location will affect travel time out of the city.
    Great point! I will be living in the Kensington area, which I believe is in the western part of the city. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by susy999 View Post
    I also highly recommend going on a treck out of London. I went on one in Wales and another in Exmoor. They were great fun - meeting wild ponies on the moores and pub lunch stops. Enjoy your time there!
    That sounds like so much fun! If anyone has any great weekend horsey ventures to suggest, I would love to hear them!

Have a look at this site http://www.free-rein.co.uk/ if you fancy couple of days riding out of the London area.

I have several friends who have holidayed with them and they all without exception rave about it.

You need input from "goeslikestink". If you are lucky she will make one of her increasingly rare visits, and pick this up.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I've heard good things about this place: http://www.littlebournefarm.com/Index.html

You should try and get out of the city to ride, too, Staying there is a bit pricey, but I've had excellent hacks on well-trained horses out of Lucknam Park: http://www.lucknampark.co.uk/

And totally not in your locale whatsoever, but I've always wanted to try this! http://www.cumbrianheavyhorses.com/

I rode at the Kingston Riding Center. Loved it and had great hacks out in Richmond Park! Good size indoor and well kept horses.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by txhjgirl View Post
    Great point! I will be living in the Kensington area, which I believe is in the western part of the city. Thanks!

Okay . You're not far from my good friend who is an awesome rider! She has taken lessons at Oldencraig Equestrian Centre (www.oldencraig.com). She said it is a bit of a faff to get to but well worth it, especially for dressage. Apparently they have super fancy warmblood type lesson horses and she was very impressed w/ the trainer. My friend has high standards so I'd definitely take her opinion seriously! She just went on a hack (trail ride) at a place called Stag Lodge Stables- http://www.ridinginlondon.com. Stag Lodge is Richmond Park so would be easier to get to than Oldencraig.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey