If you buy a ticket to a football game and can't go, you still own the ticket. If someone wants to buy it from you, you're good. If nobody wants it . . . you still own the ticket you purchased. It's not the football team's problem.
I agree, but I think in this case the question is whether it's ok to try to sell it on your own, or if you need to return to the box office and see if they can sell it, and if they refund you later.
If there is a waitlist (you can confirm with the secretary) you need to go through the latter process, and you should get some money back. If not, and you have someone who wants it, they might be willing to let you transfer the entry with a change fee. I have done this several times with secretary blessing and it worked out well, as I was able to at least recoup some part of the fee (when there was no waitlist I had to sell for a bit less, since if the new person had wanted to go that badly they probably would have just signed up in the first place . . . )
If they fill your slot or your stall, you are due a refund (minus office fee, per EV106).
8. WITHDRAWALS. Notification of withdrawal must be given directly to the
Event Secretary. If the horse is withdrawn prior to 9:00 p.m. on the closing date
for entries, the entry and stabling fees will be refunded, less an office fee, if
applicable, not to exceed $25.00. If the horse is withdrawn after the closing
date and time, the entry and stabling fees may be refunded at the option of the
Organizing Committee. If the horse is withdrawn after the closing date, and if
the Organizer has replaced the withdrawn horse with one from the waiting list,
the entry fee less an office charge will be refunded. If stabling for the withdrawn
horse is occupied by another horse, the stabling fee will be refunded. The refund
policy must be clearly stated in the prize list for the competition.
9. SUBSTITUTIONS. Substitution of an eligible horse is allowed after the closing
date for entries provided a complete entry form for the substituted horse is given
to the Event Secretary before the horse’s first Test. An eligible rider may be
substituted after the closing date for reasons of illness, injury or the sale of the
horse. The Event Secretary must be notified of the change before his first Test.
I recently scratched from Pine Top morning before the event and got a check for $41, $21 for 3 bags of shavings and $20 for my USEA fees (which in theory, you are supposed to get back if you don't start as the event pays the starter fee to the USEA only after horses start and it is a pass through).
^ I've always wondered, what does "your slot" mean?
Does an event have to be oversubscribed for you to have a slot? (In other words, if you scratch and an undersubscribed event takes some late entries afterward, are they filling your slot, or just entering late?)
If 10 people scratch and 2 of those slots are filled, do 2 people get a refund? Or do 10 get 1/5th of a refund?
Just to put my $.02 in fwiw, the secretary has no say in whether you get a refund or not. They work for the organizer of the competition. I have always forwarded any scratches to the organzier's and they have tried to work with everyone. I too take any kind of change, whether it be horse/rider as long as I either have an empty spot to move them or they stay in the same place.
I wasn't expecting to get money back (I know how this works), that was just wishful thinking on my part out loud.
But, looks like we are not scratching yet.
Horse showed slight lameness fri AM. I had to teach a lesson, so I didn't get to the barn until 12:30/1. Get horse, horse is really lame.
Palpate tendons because there was obvious swelling and pain. Ice, call vet.
Vet says his ultrasound isn't high tech enough to look at legs, have him come out anyways.
He palpates leg, felt what I felt, aka not good, suspect suspensory, couldn't get an appointment at a clinic so the icing, wrapping and sweating began.
Saturday he couldn't put his foot flat on the ground, still has a lot of swelling in the same area's and more heat. Do what I could,
Sunday horse can walk and doesn't act in any pain.
Today he can move around even better, tiny bit of heat, slight puffiness.
Got to vet number 2's clinic to ultrasound, tendons and suspensory look great, some fluid build up, knee and ankle looks good.
So, Vet 2 gets hoof testers out, gets a reaction for his heel, in which an abcess blowout in cornet band is discovered.
So now that we know whats wrong, I'm waiting to scratch because he may be fine to go.
"Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"
Congratulations on your abcess! (non-horse people never get that). I hope you get to go.
Sometimes I think they're just trying to give us grey hair
Thanks!!! I agree. This horse, is amazing, but really good at trying to give me gray hairs.
I cannot put into words how relieved I am. I didn't want to get my hopes up that it might not be as terrible as we suspected at first. His suspensory must have been sensitive from fluid build up.
Hopefully, this will clear up and he will be ready to go! Luckily, I entered a level below what I wanted to bc this will be his fist time out this year and I wanted it to be easy, so if I don't get to school as much as I would like, its not the end of the world and we can still hack.
"Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"