The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Scratching from an Event after the closing date?

Ive never scratched from an event before.. I've withdrawn during an event but never scratched.

Sigh.
    Lame horse, probably not going to be okay in two weeks for the HT.

If I can find someone to take my spot, is it a hassle for the secretary or is it better to just scratch and pretend like Im not a poor college student who just essentially threw away money?
    -Chelsie
    "Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"

When in doubt talk to the secretary.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I have had to scratch 4 events this Spring, because of Tessie's lameness and re-hab issues.

Because it was not before the closing date, I did not get anything back from Southern Pines I. I did not expect anything.

The other three events, I scratched before the closing date. I was able to get all of the entry money, less the $25 secretary fee, back. If you missed the closing date, then I do not know if you will have much luck getting your entry back.

I agree with fooler. You need to contact the Secretary, ASAP. A couple of years ago, when a biobsy came back positive as a squamous carcinoma, I had to cancel my next event. I missed the closing date by two days and did not get anything back.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

It is the secretary's job to handle scratches, including working with a wait list and dealing with possible refunds.

It sucks, but it's part of the game. Don't try to do the secretary's job by finding someone to fill your spot. Let them handle it.
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

(You need a vet's cert IF the show allows refunds.....but then that usually cost $$ unless you have a really nice vet.)
    I.D.E.A. yoda

I have had to scratch several times after closing date, and always offered to volunteer since I could not ride and more than once I got a bit of a refund in the mail after jump judging all day....not saying they were related but ....
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks,

I'm going to wait until monday after I get a second vet opinion to find out exactly what is happening with my horse. He's not going no matter what, ecspecially after the day we had today, but right now, he's my main concern.

I may have the option to ride friends horse... the HT is my birthday weekend, so I really just wanted to go and have a good time. :/
    -Chelsie
    "Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    I have had to scratch several times after closing date, and always offered to volunteer since I could not ride and more than once I got a bit of a refund in the mail after jump judging all day....not saying they were related but ....
    This has worked every time for me. :-)

Depends on the event, but I have had a show secretary agree to a horse swap the day of the HT. Entered horse was lame, so we brought another as well as the Coggins. We were allowed to compete. The secretary did not have to accommodate us and we knew that. It was a smaller recognized HT. Otherwise, you just scratch and lose the entry. Given that I know how much it costs to run a HT, I completely understand why refunds are not given past the closing date.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

I had to scratch from three events, including a CCI*c due to lameness. One HT I was SOL; one offered to let me use my entry as a tax-deductible donation; and bless them, Virginia CCI* refunded my entire entry. That one, I may have been before the closing date, but not by much.
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me

I got an email a few days ago that someone scratched Holly Hill and they were going to let her sell/give away her entry to anyone. I would have taken it, but I didn't get the email until 10PM the day I would have had to leave.

When I scratched one this spring after the closing date I got nothing back. Only business I know of that you can spend several hundred dollars, get nothing in return, and you're not supposed to complain about it. I ask them to give the extra shavings that I'd bought to a friend of mine. When she checked in they wouldn't give them to her, saying that I was going to get a partial refund. I've not heard a thing from them
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Mickey View Post
    I may have the option to ride friends horse... the HT is my birthday weekend, so I really just wanted to go and have a good time. :/
    The rules specifically allow for the substitution of another horse:

EV106 Entries - Withdrawals.
    9. SUBSTITUTIONS. Substitution of an eligible horse is allowed after the closing
    date for entries provided a complete entry form for the substituted horse is given to
    the Event Secretary before the horse’s first Test. An eligible rider may be substituted
    after the closing date for reasons of illness, injury or the sale of the horse. The
    Event Secretary must be notified of the change before his first Test.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by IronwoodFarm View Post
    Depends on the event, but I have had a show secretary agree to a horse swap the day of the HT. Entered horse was lame, so we brought another as well as the Coggins. We were allowed to compete. The secretary did not have to accommodate us and we knew that.
    Yes she did. See EV106.9
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    When I scratched one this spring after the closing date I got nothing back. Only business I know of that you can spend several hundred dollars, get nothing in return, and you're not supposed to complain about it. :
    This line of thinking drives me crazy. They are ENTRY FEES. You put your money at risk when you ENTER. No guarantees. Organizers take the entry fees and spend the bulk of them long before the show opens on non-refundable course designers, builders, materials, officials, ports potties, etc. Your money is mostly spent long before you decide to scratch.

Why should the organizer be stuck with the bill? The rider is in the best position to make sure the horse is fit and ready to go before entering and bear the risk for unforseen problems, just like organizers often spend thousands of extra dollars to fix weather related issues and run less than full events.

It also is NOT the only business where you forfeit money for non-attendance. Still, most organizers are as accomodating as they can be. But If entry fees were refundable, we would likely have no events. I am very appreciative of organizers. You couldn't pay me to take the risks they take. My entry fees at risk are small by comparison (and no, I am not wealthy).

8 members found this post helpful.

If you buy a ticket to a football game and can't go, you still own the ticket. If someone wants to buy it from you, you're good. If nobody wants it . . . you still own the ticket you purchased. It's not the football team's problem.

3 members found this post helpful.

I never realized I could sell my entry until now. Now that I know that's an option it's something I will certainly try if this happens in the future.

I hardly think this compares to having football, or concert tickets. Those aren't something you have to have experience in order to watch. Pretty easy to "get rid" of those tickets.

You don't need to have experience to enter below Training level. None.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    I never realized I could sell my entry until now. Now that I know that's an option it's something I will certainly try if this happens in the future.

I hardly think this compares to having football, or concert tickets. Those aren't something you have to have experience in order to watch. Pretty easy to "get rid" of those tickets.
    Actually you can not sell your entry. If you are unable to attend at all, you are a scratch. The sec will let you know if there is a wait list, if yes your slot goes to the first on the list for your level. If no wait list the sec MAY accept someone in your place. BUT it is the sec and the organizer's decision.
    See Janet's post above regarding rule for substitution of horse or of rider.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    You don't need to have experience to enter below Training level. None.
    I think you know I'm not talking about qualifications on paper.

Fooler, yes I know the rules. I was referring to the situation in my 1st post, that came up last week. The person who offered me her entry did get permission from the Sec.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

What I will never understand are those who are no-shows. Is it really that much of a bother to pick up the phone and call the secretary and tell them you're scratching, even if you don't get any money back? A) someone MIGHT be waiting for your spot and B) officials will be looking for you when they don't need to spend time/energy on it.

Otherwise, I have to agree with SevenDogs. Thinking you're owed something because you scratch at the last minute is not only ridiculous but self-centered... for all the reasons SevenDogs outlined.

HeyMickey... hope things turn out ok!
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike