The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by 5chestnuts View Post
    GLUTEN

Stop eating it. If your joint pains resolve or greatly diminish within 3-4 days, you may be suffering from wheat intolerance.

It's an easy fix, simple to try. What have you got to lose except a few day without bread or cereal? And you don't need a doctor for that.
    Ooops 5 chestnuts! I must have been typing when you posted this!
    YES!!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

Sorry if it's been brought up- but along those lines: cut out all refined sugars, gluten and dairy... try it for 2-3 weeks (sounds like you have nothing to loose). You may be super surprised...
    I had a MILE long list of issues that all got resolved around foods Sounds like a pain but let me tell you, when you can get rid of said pain and have a normal life... you realize that those foods weren't all that important after all.
    Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    Do you drink diet pop? There's a lot of information on aspartame causing different types of body pains and other issues. Just a thought. Not a diagnosis!
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Ooops 5 chestnuts! I must have been typing when you posted this!
    YES!!!
    AH! Same here!
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

1 members found this post helpful.

Cut out all wheat from your diet, and then if possible, try cutting out all other grains, artificial sweeteners, processed foods, dairy to see if that makes a difference. If that helps, great, if not, you've lost nothing.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

1 members found this post helpful.

Agree with the others saying go Gluten Free. But you'll have to wait actually a few months before you'd notice a difference in joint pain.

I also had bad joint pain, mostly in my hips, but also ankles. I had it checked out by a doctor and they could find nothing, all they did was rule out arthritis.

I went gluten free and while my digestive symptoms got much better in a matter of days, the joint pain lessened over months. it took a year before the pain disappeared completely (though I could tell it was much better in six months).

I ate some cake last new year's eve and my joint pain returned in force a couple of days later. (side note, my Reynauds also disappeared over the course of a year).

Rather than throw heavier and heavier drugs at this, try gluten free. It is in the category of "won't hurt you, and might help".

If you want more info, read the book "Wheatbelly."

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    Agree with the others saying go Gluten Free. But you'll have to wait actually a few months before you'd notice a difference in joint pain.

I also had bad joint pain, mostly in my hips, but also ankles. I had it checked out by a doctor and they could find nothing, all they did was rule out arthritis.

I went gluten free and while my digestive symptoms got much better in a matter of days, the joint pain lessened over months. it took a year before the pain disappeared completely (though I could tell it was much better in six months).

I ate some cake last new year's eve and my joint pain returned in force a couple of days later. (side note, my Reynauds also disappeared over the course of a year).

Rather than throw heavier and heavier drugs at this, try gluten free. It is in the category of "won't hurt you, and might help".

If you want more info, read the book "Wheatbelly."
    Everyone should have that book on their mandatory reading list!
    It will change your life, and your health!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

You know of an anti-depressant that works for pain? Me want.

Otherwise, all I can suggest besides changing your diet is is more turn out.
    A helmet saved my life.

2015 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

I think it sounds like Fibromyalgia as well.

I am so sorry you have chronic pain. That just sucks, no two ways about it!

Look what happens when I sleep!

OK, so tests. He literally did every test under the sun. Specific tests like lyme and such were ruled out, plus everything else that could possibly be an indicator of anything. The only thing that came out very sightly higher than normal, though it really is so close it's insignificant, is a protein something indicator, which shows inflammation. I read everything in what that could be a possible indicator of, from gout to osteoarthritis, and so did my rheumatologist, and no go. I do't get any swelling or any other symptoms.

Man. Diet. Sigh. THAT could kill me. I'm such a bad eater anyway, if I cut out some foods, I just may not eat. I feel so proud of myself I cut out diet soda and I eat a lot more salad because SO is a salad fiend. Cutting out bread and sugar? Or pain? Hard choice. Good ideas, though. I wil look into it.

As for the antidepressants, my doctor said they've found a lot of them have a secondary use as treatment of pain. So, the one I will try that is used for depression is a 100 mg dose there, and I will start out at 10. Interesting I tried the indomethicin, which is a stronger NSAID. One of the side effects is it makes you dizzy, which it did a bit, but it definitely seemed to make me a little happier. I'm one of those people that sort of has to force myself to talk sometimes, and I don't drink, and it just loosened me up a bit. I wonder if there's something there. I think I'll email my doctor that, too. (Technology is fun. I can email him whenever I want and he always answers pretty quickly. I've gotten responses on Sunday night.)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pai...ations/PN00044

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Man. Diet. Sigh. THAT could kill me. I'm such a bad eater anyway, if I cut out some foods, I just may not eat. I feel so proud of myself I cut out diet soda and I eat a lot more salad because SO is a salad fiend. Cutting out bread and sugar? Or pain? Hard choice. Good ideas, though. I wil look into it.
    Just be prepared for things to get a little worse before they get better; wheat and sugar are addictive and you may go through a withdrawal period. After the withdrawal, life is good. I don't even want the stuff anymore (except a bit of chocolate around that time of the month).
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

IT won't kill you, You will not believe how great you start to feel.
    All the common aliments that people suffer are directly related to the bodies reaction to bad foods.
    I was a total pasta and bread junkie, IT has been over 3 weeks since I have had any at all, And I mean it is in everything, I am eating good fish, had awesome Salmon just now for dinner, some great veggies, and I am stuffed. Grass Fed Beef, Free range Chicken and eggs, Happy non factory farmed pork. All this stuff is available, You might have to look a bit or do internet searches.
    I do not miss the bread, or the junk, Because I did try to have a bit now and then a moth ago, and the reaction was BAD! I felt awful.
    My joints used to ache a lot, now, nothing, Just muscle pain when I work out.
    The drugs are not a cure just a mask.
    Just try to go for 3 weeks, Eating totally clean, nothing but real food.
    After the first week you do not even miss the taste.