The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Joint Pain Cause--ANY ideas?

So, no obvious answer, as my brilliant (seriously) doctors can't find anything.

I've never been able to kneel or do squats. Walking up and down hills hurts, like from a stick poking into the middle of my knee to barely being able to walk hurt. I discovered doing pilates and yoga that it's my other joints, too. Apparently normal people can do own dog an out weight on their wrists. I can't. I have to make a first and do it on my knuckles. I can't do plank on my elbows, either. Hurts too much. And I'm thinking other people can probably move their shoulders better. Nothing necessarily makes it worse or better, though I go through phases of better and worse.

I assumed it was because I was on prednisone for two years straight as a kid because my kidneys were leaking protein and that caused joint damage and I would eventually need knee replacements. So, being almost 50 I decided I'd better start preparing and go to the doctor.

Radiographs of my knees show better than my doctor who can do amazing deep knee bends. Mild arthritis. Every blood test known to mankind, and about 15 viles of blood later, every single one came back normal. I won the bet with my doctor.

So, we try a stronger NSAID indomethicin to see if it makes any difference at 25 mg 3 times daily. Maybe slightly. Still can't kneel or do down dog.

Cool new doctor, rheumatologist. She agrees my doctor did every blood test known to mankind and it shows nothing. One thing he didn't do is xray pelvis to see if there's anything there. We'll also try indomethicin 50 mg 3 times daily to see if it changes anything.

Nothing on pelvis xray, and 50 mg indomethicin makes me dizzy and still doesn't help.

Back to doctor today. We don't know what it is, but we'll treat symptoms. I've tried everything else (and take msm, glucosmine, and chondriatin daily) the only thing left is major drugs, which I won't do, and antidepressants, which work for pain. So, we'll play with a low dose of an antidepressant and go from there, increasing doses every week until it gets better, or side effects are a problem, and meet in five weeks.

Has anyone heard of anything like this? Joint pain with no answer?

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Do you drink diet pop? There's a lot of information on aspartame causing different types of body pains and other issues. Just a thought. Not a diagnosis!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I used to. I actually cut myself off a couple of years ago, and don't notice a difference. But, it's so weird it would be something like that.

I can tell you're from the east coast. You used "pop."

1 members found this post helpful.

I also have joint pain in my knees, hands, feet, spine, shoulders and hips. Xrays show arthritic changes in my lower back and hands, but the knees look good (they were just in there to clean up recent meniscus damage from a riding injury). My orthopedic surgeon says that I am "poorly designed and built of crappy materials", i.e., my connective tissue is of poor quality and I have a congenital malformation of the shoulder called a Buford complex. As a child I was exceptionally flexible, bruised easily and other issues. I now suspect that I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002439/ and that it may contribute to my joint pain. I hope to remember to ask my FPDr about this when I go in for my annual. I've found that Ibuprophen or Acetominophen don't really touch the constant ache, so I just live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    I also have joint pain in my knees, hands, feet, spine, shoulders and hips. Xrays show arthritic changes in my lower back and hands, but the knees look good (they were just in there to clean up recent meniscus damage from a riding injury). My orthopedic surgeon says that I am "poorly designed and built of crappy materials", i.e., my connective tissue is of poor quality and I have a congenital malformation of the shoulder called a Buford complex. As a child I was exceptionally flexible, bruised easily and other issues. I now suspect that I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002439/ and that it may contribute to my joint pain. I hope to remember to ask my FPDr about this when I go in for my annual. I've found that Ibuprophen or Acetominophen don't really touch the constant ache, so I just live with it.

I was going to say exactly this.

I have EDS type II and it causes way more joint discomfort than the ankylosing spondylitis. Unfortunately, nothing really treats the pain of EDS because you are constantly destroying and remodeling connective tissue. It's not a fun disorder to have.

The best thing you can do (if a collagen disorder is your issue) is to build really good, lean muscle to support those tendons and joints.

Best of luck, OP!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

It would be something weird like EDS, too, but I don't think it's that for me. The bruising sounds really familiar, but not the flexibility or other symptoms. It looks like there are a bunch of ways to test for that, too.

I asked my doctor about thus just being an extreme of normal, that some people just have joints that don't work. He didn't think so. I'm kind of thinking I have some kind of poor design, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    I can tell you're from the east coast. You used "pop."
    Well, when I lived in the south I used to say soda. Except in Georgia where I learned to use Coke as a term for all pops/sodas.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    It would be something weird like EDS, too, but I don't think it's that for me. The bruising sounds really familiar, but not the flexibility or other symptoms. It looks like there are a bunch of ways to test for that, too.

I asked my doctor about thus just being an extreme of normal, that some people just have joints that don't work. He didn't think so. I'm kind of thinking I have some kind of poor design, too.
    Maybe it's time for another opinion from yet another doctor?
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Maybe. I really like this guy. He loves puzzles. I don't know who else you'd go to besides a rheumatologist.

I always say soda,and people use coke here, too, but visiting relatives in Illinois, it was always pop. Maybe it's a midwest thing.

I'd wonder if an MRI of some of your worst joints (knees?) would be useful. It's not like you can really see soft tissue or cartilage on radiographs.

Do joint supplements help at all?

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    Well, when I lived in the south I used to say soda. Except in Georgia where I learned to use Coke as a term for all pops/sodas.
    Down here, it's soft drinks, if it isn't Cokes.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

If you don't mind, what exactly did they rule out with the tests? That could help a lot.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

I had a thread on Raynauds Disease where people really recommended a gluten free diet. People said it helped all sorts of stuff. Just a thought...
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Did Dr. test hormone levels? Estrogen has a lot to do with flexability. Did Dr do that test for inflamation? Maybe try Lg doses of Omega 3/ DHA ?

Ask for a mri. I have problems with my knees and have seen all sorts of doctors. Finally 1 doctor sent me in for an mri and said i have soft cartialage or runner's knee. He can't do anything about it except give me cortisone shots when it's really painful. Others have told me too that they don't know or possible arthritis

Have you been tested for Lyme disease? Joint pain is one of the tell-tale symptoms. Ask for the in-depth test, not the basic one done at your doctor's office.

I feel for you. I am in your age range and am discovering that my knees and wrists are abandoning me...

That said, my dad has arthritis (he was in the military and jumped too many times out a plane..!) and gets relief with living 1/2 the year in a drier climate, getting regular acupuncture, and joint injections, but not cortisone, something else...HA, like horses, I think!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

And of course in New England it's "tonic".

OP: fibromyalgia?
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I know I use my Hashimoto's hypothyroidism as the basis for all physical ills, so why change now?

When my thyroid levels are low, my hands and wrists ache (making yoga super painful and even lifting light objects uncomfortable). My hips would really ache too, especially at night, making sleeping difficult.

When my levels are normal, all is well with my joints.

Just a thought that there are lots of stones that might need to be turned. Good luck!
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

GLUTEN

Stop eating it. If your joint pains resolve or greatly diminish within 3-4 days, you may be suffering from wheat intolerance.

It's an easy fix, simple to try. What have you got to lose except a few day without bread or cereal? And you don't need a doctor for that.

Do you drink diet pop? There's a lot of information on aspartame causing different types of body pains and other issues. Just a thought. Not a diagnosis!
    Agreed, Also one of the major causes of inflamation is Wheat products.
    Pick up Wheat Belly, available on Kindle. PEople have had amazing things happen when they cut out wheat and all processed foods.
    I gave up wheat a few months ago, and I have little to no joint paint anymore, and I am 55. It is worth a try!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.