The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Good job, Em!!! I am a firm believer in the fact that the nursing care time is a very important aspect in the building of the bond. With any luck this will be your only time for nursing. Use it wisely, it will last a lifetime.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks Pol! I really do hope it is my only nursing time for a while.

The big news for him is that thus far given everything his vet has decreed...... ((Drum roll)))

He now has a BETTER than 50/50 chance to survive!!!!

Very exciting, though reality is that we still have checks and balances to get by so we're still not out of the woods yet.

Keep those jingles coming. They really do work!!!

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Looks great, so much progress in so little time!

Just saw the post on your facebook page, Em, many belated and future jingles for this cool guy. Anytime the horse is still sound, despite a serious injury, I interpret as an optimistic sign!

Love his name... but it makes me think of epic skiing falls rather than an actual yardsale. Too much time spent on the mountain this year people watching from the lifts!

Jingles for him and super glad he's continuing to improve!

Great you are taking a chance on him. Lucky boy. Sending get better steady and fast jingles.

Nobody else has a horse named "Yardsale" and that's important. Jingles that he continues to improve and prove the vet wrong.

Years ago I was keeping a 2 yo pony for people who had no money for a vet when pony gashed and I mean GASHED his stifle. 6" long 3" deep and could.not.call.the vet. Since stifles can't be bandaged and I knew a wound that deep shouldn't be stitched, I found Schreiner's Herbal Solution (it was brand new in 1995) and I followed the instructions to the letter. A month later, smooth beautiful skin, no dent. 2 months later all haired over, just a white hair scar line where it had been. A year later with his coat change even that had disappeared. He was perfectly sound for two more years. Then he got hit by lightening.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Agree, but for a nickname, you can call him "Sally".
    Ha--love it! I want a gelding called Sally! Hoping for more positive updates soon!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Good - jingles of course as you know - breastplate on its way. Thanks!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I got the Lunar update from my vet just now. He is going to be staying on pen/gen meds a bit longer. She's very happy with where he is at. Joint still draining synovial fluid a bit, but not much. All fluid is clear which is determined to be a great thing. She actually thinks he is a bit further along than she expected for 8 days. Lots of positive things. Fingers still crossed.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Jingling here...
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Yeah, either what Kryswyn suggested or just plain old Vitamin E - rub it in/on - lots! I've seen several heal from wounds as ugly as this leaving no visible scar.
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Late to the Party Hoosier Jingles!

Love the name Yardsale - please show/event him with that name.

Sounds like you are on the road to recovery so place a big wet kiss on his oh-so-cute Sta-Blaz-Sni < looks like it started to be a star, then a blaze, then ended as a snip.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Good news! Glad to hear it!

Continue to send healing vibes..

Jingles for Yardsale and glad you got good news!

My old horse did something similar. Here is my album chronicling the healing:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=0b910e657f

I didn't take many photos in the beginning because it was a horrible time - he had to be heavily sedated for us to go near it every day for the first 2.5 weeks. It was completely open, and we could see the muscle, tendons, nerves, everything in there. He didn't severe anything which is why he lived. Saved by millimeters! It obviously couldn't be stitched. He was totally sound on it through the whole process. I kept it wrapped and cold hosed it daily and once it closed up, I used neosporin on it. It healed with almost no scar and no lingering swelling.

Hope the same thing happens for your special guy!
    ~Isabel

Hi Everyone! Man those COTH jingles are a VERY powerful drug!!! It's been just over 2 weeks and his wound is nearly closed.

Lunar is doing downright awesome! He is off the Pen/Gent as of today and is starting on Baytril. We are going to try to give it to him orally to let his body have a rest from being a pin cushion. That said he has done extremely well with daily injections and is a trooper in all regards.

I have updated the gallery of pics to show more "around the barn" stuff and a complete chronicling of the wound itself from 4/19- yesterday.

He hasn't been allowed to do much beyond hand graze for a bit multiple times a day, but the other day someone (cough) thought departing the cross ties after breaking his breakway halter was a fine idea and lumbered at a walk out to eat more grass. When I went to catch him with a new halter and treats in hand (That admittedly he couldn't see) he laughed and TROTTED away. Thankfully I had a friend with me who had closed the gate to the rest of the farm and smart boy that he is he took 6 SOUND strides and then stopped and ate more grass. We re-approached with a bucket of grain and then he consented to returning to the barn. But my heart skipped a few ecstatic beats to see him sound. That was a HUGE hurdle I had been very worried about.

I was anxious about that for a full 24 hours but the wound closed more, had less drainage/swelling and honestly he seemed happier to all around after his little jaunt. That said he has been very well behaved on the cross ties since as well. I think he just had some pent up energy.

I am not sure of the time lines involved to actual be back on turnout of any kind let alone being ridden but he is doing great and has showed how immensely classy he is.

Many thanks for those who sent their good wishes. With a little luck the next update we post will continue to have good news.

~Emily

Album Link: http://s103.photobucket.com/user/Xct...?sort=6&page=1

Great news! It's good that you gave him a chance.

Excellent to hear he is still on the mend!
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson