The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Updated JINGLES are working! Horse w/ worst name ever update....request for Jingles.

I am not sure where to begin for this one.

Sometimes the idea of me being "speechless" is a fairy tale for those who know me. Other times I just figure that when I know what to say it will just come out. So here goes...

When last we left off I had a horse on trial named "Yardsale on Wheels." A lovely guy with a pedigree that you guys explained to me and nice mover, and a talented young guy.

On Sunday he came up here. On Monday he popped a shipping fever of 102.1. Lots of temp checks and bute and vet calls and he was confirmed as just having a one time temp surge.

So Monday he was clearly given off to deal with being sick. Tuesday we rode him in the cooler evening hours. Wednesday he was trimmed by my farrier. (Part of our agreement) And I rode him weds night and was convinced this was a FANTASTIC horse.

And then came Thursday morning.

My friend does the barn for Em and I on Tuesdays and Thursdays. She's been a barn manager, instructor, and so many other things. She and I worked together at the fox hunting barn. What I loved about her is her absolute calm under pressure. That I think helped. She went to bring "Luner" in from his paddock and saw a gash on his hind right stiffle area.

She texted me pics quick and told me that even in the basic attempt to clean it up she could tell we needed the vet and fast.

The wound was fresh and we got the vet there, by all estimations within 30 minutes.

The stifle joint is involved. It was and is a life threatening situation.

The hole itself is about 1"+ across and we investigated the bones and they're all fine. He's young and healthy. And we have decided to give him a chance. Now don't get me wrong... he has bars set that he must clear to be allowed to carry on. He's not out of the woods. He has under a 50/50 chance right now. But so far.... so good. He is at the end of day 2. The wound is draining and doing well. The edema has started working down the leg. He is weight bearing and amazingly, sound. (KNOCK WOOD)

I spoke to his owner and decided it was just easiest to purchase him. So now my horse, Yardsale on Wheels, is actually a Yardsale on wheels!

He is a lovely guy. A great patient, and so far doing very well with the new routine and complete change of location, schedules etc.

I have my hopes, I have dark moments of my fears, but in the end the right thing was to do right by him. He gets a chance to live. I can always put him down and I don't feel like we're in a Barbaro type situation.

I am including a brief clip of him jumping a week ago. Bear in mind he is still very green.

I figure I owed him a chance.

So that's what we did.

We would appreciate some jingles. I have seen them work.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqnOS_rwNlM

Pics from today: http://s103.photobucket.com/user/Xct...?sort=3&page=1

~Emily
    Last edited by Xctrygirl; May. 4, 2013 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Updates
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Emily you did right..BUT 100% validated why NEVER EVER let a horse go out on trial...xoxox to yardsale

4 members found this post helpful.

I think Yardsale is the best name ever for a horse.

If it's any consolation, my beloved mule Casper once had the deepest puncture wound I've ever seen -- in his neck right behind his jaw. If it was any deeper, there would have been an exit wound. I'd estimate it at 6". I told everyone else not to look at it as I thought they might vomit or freak out and need medical assistance.

What did I do? Nothing, except check it regularly to make sure birds or bats weren't nesting in it. The mule seemed fine, it wasn't bleeding much, and it would have to heal from the inside out. And so it did.

Nice horse, too -- I liked the video.

2 members found this post helpful.

Sending huge jingles for Yardsale, and hugs for you.

1 members found this post helpful.

Jingles for the cutie!
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Sorry Em!! Jingling here and if you need anything call me!!!!

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Jingles!
    The Evil Chem Prof

Oh, I am so sorry. He is so cute. Major jingling!

Jingles to yardsale! I had a similar injury - a very deep puncture to the front elbow joint...it didn't penetrate the joint capsule, but I could stick my whole finger in there and touch the bone. Horse was amazingly sound on it - and it healed remarkably well. He was on IV antibiotics and we worked hard to keep the wound open, clean, and draining - lots of flushing with betadaine and saline, then packing the wound with silvadine and an iodine gauze wound-packing tape to act as a wicking drain...usually having to be changed 2x daily because he would lay down on it and get it messy. Like I said, it heale great and he was back to work in a few weeks - and you can't tell now that he ever put a giant hole in his elbow...

But it was definitely one of those injuries where I was glad that I'm a physician as well as a long-term horse person...it was like a flashback to med school, doing wound care at o-dark-thirty before work...and late at night!
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

I had a horse with a similar injury too only it also included a slab fracture of the tibia. He went on to compete and is still here 8 1/2 years later Scary times though- I feel for you. Jingles from me too!!!
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

I *love* his name! And I think he looks like a great sport, nice mover, and surely a quick healer. Whenever my animals have a health crisis, my mom likes to remind me that like children and plants, animals are designed to live. Hugs and jingles!

(P.S. Mom's advice has rung true thus far in my 30-some years.)

2 members found this post helpful.

Jingles jingles jingles!!! My last horse poked a giant hole in his knee within a week of coming home....he too healed up beautifully...although after being stall bound and tortured by his new mom every day for 10 days he decided the whole deal was crooked and went back to his 70 acre turnout determined never to be caught again....
    May you have such troubles soon! You are doing the right thing!
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

We've had two with bad punctures this year alone. One into the knee with joint fluid squirting out. The the other in the ankle (you could see he joint). Both caught very very quickly. Both have healed beautifully (but it took work!) and horses are sound (actually about to go ride one of them now).

jingles for your boy! And I too love his name.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

jingles for the handsome boy, and kudos to you for stepping up to the plate and doing right by him.

Here's hoping karma repays you in kind for the good you have done for this boy!

Jingles for your new boy
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Mega jingles!!!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Lots of jingles jingles jingles. Sounds like a great guy.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

Jingles to Luner, hugs to you. He has going (in addition to your excellent care) being a good patient and a tough TB.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!