The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Your favorite available classical dressage trainers

My husband will be away for work this fall for anywhere between one and five months. I'm going to take this time to work intensively with a trainer and am considering going with a classical dressage trainer.

I'm not asking about who the amazing masters are. I am asking about trainers who are actively taking clients for full time training. Whom would you choose?

Thanks in advance.

ETA: I have him lined up for an eventing trainer for the summer, but I may go ahead and go with a dressage trainer instead. He is an OTTB with a lot of back problems that weren't taken care of for years. Part of his back is extremely atrophied. I'd like to pursue eventing with him, but at this point, I'm thinking it would be in his best interest to focus solely on dressage to help him build the muscles and engagement to support his back.
    Last edited by lferguson; Apr. 20, 2013 at 01:44 PM.

It would depend of where you are located.

I will be available to travel anywhere continental US.

If I had months to go study classically in the US, I'd go study with Paul Belasik and his assistant Andrea. For now I have to get by with regular clinics with them.
    Then I'd take a trip over to study with Jorge Gabriel.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

^ I second this. I'm a long time student of both of theirs.
    "the waist is not a joint" I MUST REMEMBER THIS!

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the great suggestions!

what kind of classical are you looking for? and will you be taking your own horse?

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    what kind of classical are you looking for? and will you be taking your own horse?
    Any school would be fine, if that's what you're asking. And yes, I will be bringing my horse.

I have him lined up for an eventing trainer for the summer, but I may go ahead and go with a dressage trainer instead. He is an OTTB with a lot of back problems that weren't taken care of for years. Part of his back is extremely atrophied. I'd like to pursue eventing with him, but at this point, I'm thinking it would be in his best interest to focus solely on dressage to help him build the muscles and engagement to support his back.

You could kill two birds with one stone by working with someone like Boyd Martin. His wife Silva, and I'm sure he, work with Jessica Ransehausen who lives down the road apiece. Jessica doesn't advertise herself as "classical", doesn't write books, but has manged to ride in the Olympics three times, and Internationally represented the US other tines as well as serving as chef d'eqiupe, for several years as well as being an outstanding teacher.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have (and would again) choose Susanne Benne.

Come to Cocoa (tho it'll still be stinkin hot in the fall) at Half Halt Farms. (http://www.halfhaltstables.com/) Most of us are serious (not necessarily talented) about dressage from training level through FEI competitors. Susanne regularly takes students to shows and still shows herself. She's an extremely talented horse trainer and a pretty darn good instructor, too.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

Felicitis von Neumann Cosel. I have ridden in her clinics in the past and just love the way she communicates things. Riding with her is not a vacation but I felt progress with each and every ride.
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

I've done several clinics with Gunnar Ostergaard in the last year and loved him!!

He is an OTTB with a lot of back problems that weren't taken care of for years. Part of his back is extremely atrophied. I'd like to pursue eventing with him, but at this point, I'm thinking it would be in his best interest to focus solely on dressage to help him build the muscles and engagement to support his back.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to stick my neck out here for the horse's sake. Please make sure you get a full vet work-up before you bring this horse into intensive training - no matter who the trainer is.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ken View Post
    He is an OTTB with a lot of back problems that weren't taken care of for years. Part of his back is extremely atrophied. I'd like to pursue eventing with him, but at this point, I'm thinking it would be in his best interest to focus solely on dressage to help him build the muscles and engagement to support his back.
    I'm going to stick my neck out here for the horse's sake. Please make sure you get a full vet work-up before you bring this horse into intensive training - no matter who the trainer is.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, and I appreciate your "sticking your neck out" for him. He has been easing into conditioning for a couple weeks now and will continue to condition with regular vet checks with chiropractic adjustments (from the vet) and massage therapy for at least another month before going into a full time training program.

Too bad you aren't considering coming around here...

My trainer Roberta Byng-Morris, who rode at the last Pan-Am in dressage, is really good and is also Peter Barry's trainer. So she understands eventers!!! You could have got in touch with both!

ETA : And lucky you for being able to take those months for training with a good trainer!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    Too bad you aren't considering coming around here...

My trainer Roberta Byng-Morris, who rode at the last Pan-Am in dressage, is really good and is also Peter Barry's trainer. So she understands eventers!!! You could have got in touch with both!

ETA : And lucky you for being able to take those months for training with a good trainer!!!
    You know, I'm not sure why I ruled out Canada. Maybe because I'm tired of being cold? I'm totally unfamiliar with any paperworky stuff living in Canada a couple months would require. I suppose I'm open to suggestions from up north!

And it's really just me being lucky to have a super supportive husband, even with my riding being totally unimpressive.

Here's a third nomination for Paul Belasik and Andrea! I have also been a long time student, and can't say enough good things about them. You would learn so much and have a great time doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by lferguson View Post
    You know, I'm not sure why I ruled out Canada. Maybe because I'm tired of being cold? I'm totally unfamiliar with any paperworky stuff living in Canada a couple months would require. I suppose I'm open to suggestions from up north!

And it's really just me being lucky to have a super supportive husband, even with my riding being totally unimpressive.
    You should have no difficulty with a 3-6 month visa

I think you should contact the trainers you're considering & discern how enthusiastic (& knowledgeable) each really is about doing this sort of work.

Default Felicitas von-Neumann Cosel

I second Felicitas. I've hosted clinics with her from when I was a very green dressage rider on my $1 breed stock paint to being a less green dressage rider on my FEI gelding. I am in awe of her ability to work with a variety of riders & horses and their multitude of issues! I would LOVE to have the opportunity, time and money to spend a couple months with her!

There is also Laurie Hedlund in OK that does not come close to getting her due credit for her classical knowledge and expertise. She is lesser known but is outstanding. Bronze & Silver medals, "L" graduate w distinction, USDF certified through 4th level, entering the 'r' program. She was based for many years in Chicago when her husband, Alf Athenstaedt, was the Director of Training at Temple Farms for 30 yrs. Alf is amazing but is now retired. They moved to OK about 8 yrs ago. Laurie has been under his tutelage for 18+ yrs. I have ridden with Laurie and Alf for 8+ yrs and Alf still travels with Laurie when she comes up to my place for clinics. I was awarded the AA Gifted Grant through The Dressage Foundation in 2009 and spent a week with Laurie.
    m

Quote Originally Posted by lferguson View Post
    I'm going to stick my neck out here for the horse's sake. Please make sure you get a full vet work-up before you bring this horse into intensive training - no matter who the trainer is.
    Absolutely, and I appreciate your "sticking your neck out" for him. He has been easing into conditioning for a couple weeks now and will continue to condition with regular vet checks with chiropractic adjustments (from the vet) and massage therapy for at least another month before going into a full time training program.
    I'll second the idea that this horse may not be the best candidate for this adventure; at least, not to ride FT. You are putting another big challenge (that he stay sound enough to be ridden 5 days a week), and what's good for YOU in terms of learning may well not be what is good for the horse at this stage.

I would make sure whoever you choose has lesson horses available and budget that in.