The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Umm, Velvet, go back to your Lunar acre! Not Catherine, but was at the fundraiser. What have you given to the dressage world except sitting in your chair sputing your expert opinion...I am guessing you are a fat amateur who hasn't sat on a horse in years and couldn't or wouldn't put you horse on the bit?! Would luv to see a video of your riding?! Let me know how much you have given to the USEF or USET foundation?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair View Post
    Umm, Velvet, go back to your Lunar acre! Not Catherine, but was at the fundraiser. What have you given to the dressage world except sitting in your chair sputing your expert opinion...I am guessing you are a fat amateur who hasn't sat on a horse in years and couldn't or wouldn't put you horse on the bit?! Would luv to see a video of your riding?! Let me know how much you have given to the USEF or USET foundation?
    Dayum and only on your second post on the forum. You sure that's the way you want to start your COTH reputation?

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

9 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by chisamba View Post
    so it is your opinion that Christians do not ride dressage? what a bizarre assumption
    She did not lampoon all Christians. I'm assuming that the stereotype was the same as was on TV every single week in Hee Haw. Hillbillies are not the usual dressage demographic.

So what's the group think on Elmer Gantry? There are certainly enough real life scandals involving sex and evangelical preachers that they make good butts for humor.

I still say that there is a huge difference between something that is so ridiculous and UNREAL as to bring laughter and something that is meanly meant to denigrate. This played off a stereotype, but was totally absurd--and IMO, funny.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

1 members found this post helpful.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Dayum and only on your second post on the forum. You sure that's the way you want to start your COTH reputation?

Paula
    No kidding. We can only hope it's some angry teen who worships CH and is throwing a tantrum out here. Otherwise, I shudder to think it's an actual adult who donates large sums to the USEF and rides the upper levels who would act that way on a first post on a very public forum such as this.

That would just be scary. To have them in control of funding and to have political power within the organization and then behave in that manner out here? Just...wow...

I am off to resituate my big old, fat butt in my chair that I never leave so I can dream of owning and riding horses that will qualify me to be on the team someday--which would provide me with the opportunity to stand in front of this person, pregnant, with bare feet, a fake southern accent and performing a bad comic routine. Gee, dare I dream?
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    First - it has to be funny.

....and it was! The humour in stereotyping IS stereotyping. Stereotyping in itself is foolish. Come on Equibrit, look back at the most successful british comedy shows....we laugh at the ridiculousness of stereotypes.
    Last edited by snoopy; Apr. 30, 2013 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    She did not lampoon all Christians. I'm assuming that the stereotype was the same as was on TV every single week in Hee Haw. Hillbillies are not the usual dressage demographic.

So what's the group think on Elmer Gantry? There are certainly enough real life scandals involving sex and evangelical preachers that they make good butts for humor.

I still say that there is a huge difference between something that is so ridiculous and UNREAL as to bring laughter and something that is meanly meant to denigrate. This played off a stereotype, but was totally absurd--and IMO, funny.
    That's probably why I found it ( the little I did watch) disappointing and fairly elitist. Too easy a target. But that's jmho.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

4 members found this post helpful.

OK - according the Armchair, those who did not like Haddad's "act" are fat amateurs, who can't ride, who need to submit a video to Armchair to be deamed able to comment. These are also people who have never donated or helped the USET or USEF raise money. Wow - what a sweeping generalization.

Point of fact, Armchair, your type of attitude is why more and more people don't donate the the Teams and/or volunteer thousands of hours of time to not only the competitions, but also these fundraisers. In case you haven't noticed the entries at horse shows are down across the board. More and more people are tired of the "elitist" attitude that permeates our sport.

At a time when it's rather obvious that the US Dressage Team has to make significant adjustments to it's plan - or face another rather flat performance at the next Olympics, I would rather not see off-color desperate performances to raise money for the Team.

JMHO - but it's time for some "fresh horses" in the Administrative harness at the USET. Instead of recycling the same old, same old GROUP of people in the various disciplines, it's time for some of these people to step aside and let some "new blood" into the leadership positions.

It would seem glaringly obvious that our sports rely heavily on large sponsors but equally on a very very large number of people who will never make the teams but love the sport and their horses. These soldiers send their money in year, after year, after year. To infer, that because they are not "high performance riders" - they should have no voice is a very destructive concept. They are, after all the base of the pyramid which holds up the entire structure, which is necessary to field teams and riders. Without the foundation ....the pyramid collapses.

So Armchair - I would offer that your rather scathing description of anyone who was disconcerted with Ms. Haddad's "act", is, in my opinion why our equestrian sports are facing bigger challenges for raising money. FYI - I did check my derriere and it's looking just fine and as I look back over the the hundreds of hours I donated to various horse events and fundraiser and checks I wrote at auctions, etc., I know I am among the vast majority of members of the USEF etc. who are sick to death of being told that unless we we are in that incestuous select group at the top, we should have no opinions, comments or input - as we are not worthy.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Wow, not sure if some of the "Christians" who where offended that where up all night in front of the computer are not really vampires

I think god would have found Catherine very funny, he obviously has a sense of humor, he did create you ladies to entertain the coth followers

Wow, not sure if some of the "Christians" who where offended that where up all night in front of the computer are not really vampires

I think god would have found Catherine very funny, he obviously has a sense of humor, he did create you ladies to entertain the coth followers

As Dionne Warwick calls them...."Professional Hypocrites"

Humor is subjective. And satire, by definition, pokes fun at things that are "sacred" to some.

For Catherine, I have one of my favorite quotes:

“I don't want everyone to like me; I should think less of myself if some people did.”

~ Henry James

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    Humor is subjective. And satire, by definition, pokes fun at things that are "sacred" to some.

“I don't want everyone to like me; I should think less of myself if some people did.”

~ Henry James

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post

~ Henry James
    Love this quote.

ISE, a lot of us aren't showing as much as a direct result of the economic downturn. I have cut back on the number of shows I attend and now only go to one show per year where I have to stable over night. Many of my friends are in the same boat as me for the same reason. OTOH, since I am showing less, I am volunteering more because I have the time. I'm also donating more frequently albeit in small amounts.

Armchair, although I am not in Velvet's camp on this particular issue, I actually know her and can tell you that she is thin, rides regularly, and rides well.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

I think you meant "were,: not "where offended," and likewise "were [not where] up all night."

(Person with one of those useless English majors finding this thread a particularly interesting opportunity to be a PITA!)

Love Henry James!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    I think you meant "were,: not "where offended," and likewise "were [not where] up all night."

(Person with one of those useless English majors finding this thread a particularly interesting opportunity to be a PITA!) Love Henry James!
    Well, Fish, I give you an A for calling out the "where" mistake on Armchair's post but a big ole "F" for not catching ISE's incorrect use of "infer" where "imply" should have been used. So now who's the bigger PITA.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    ....and it was! The humour in stereotyping IS stereotyping. Stereotyping in itself is foolish. Come on Equibrit, look back at the most successful british comedy shows....we laugh at the ridiculousness of stereotypes.
    The difference between comedy and embarassment is that comedy is funny. That was neither funny nor appropriate to the fund raising situation. If you want the population of a country to give you money, you don't take the piss out of a large number of them (badly).

“I think the problem with people like this is that they are so stupid that they have no idea how stupid they are.”

"Comedy always works best when it is mean-spirited."
    John Otto Cleese.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

The difference between comedy and embarassment is that comedy is funny
    Er... ok...so the determination of what is 'funny' shall henceforth be decided by equibrit as apparently everyone must have the same sense of humor as equibrit.

How depressing.

Armchair - I'm up late at night because I'm on foal watch....not because I'm a vampire.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Quote Originally Posted by suzy View Post
    Well, Fish, I give you an A for calling out the "where" mistake on Armchair's post but a big ole "F" for not catching ISE's incorrect use of "infer" where "imply" should have been used. So now who's the bigger PITA.
    ISE has long been on my ignore list, so she does not receive the benefit of my corrections.

(Meantime, my assumption has been that it's language police like you and me who are generally perceived as the PITA's, no matter how comic our criticisms may be .)

P.S. That should be "' where" mistakeS" on Armchair's post...," as there were 2.

So now Equibrit is speaking for the country. I really doubt you are in the majority.

LMAO so true

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    Er... ok...so the determination of what is 'funny' shall henceforth be decided by equibrit as apparently everyone must have the same sense of humor as equibrit.

How depressing.