The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    oh dear god...

...please forgive me for watching that lame-@$$ video. lol

4 members found this post helpful.

you get what you pay for..maybe you could ask for your money back.

I'm not even a big fan of CH but I take my cue from southerners who are not in the least offended by this silliness. it was obviously not scripted amateur hour and was not a polished comedy act ..so advice to quit your day job -seems not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    Dang--tried to watch the clip and can't get the sound Now I REALLY need tech support out here.

Back in my grad. school days, I specialized in theories of drama. In retrospect, we probably could have spent more time on the ways in which audience background, cultural affiliation, etc., affect perceptions of humor. I have, for example, had occasion to notice that a lot of Republications don't find Garrison Keillor funny at all. Come to think of it, I've actually discovered a few friends' political affiliations by attempting to share jokes with them.

No doubt about it, humor is a form of attack/criticism-- and a very effective one. As we all know (if only from riding lessons), it's often difficult not to be offended by criticism, no matter how essential we know it is to learning.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Humor is definitely subjective. And I think only comedians should take that risk. Anyone who wants to represent the riders in this country really should think twice before taking the risk of pissing off southerners, Christians, etc. I think that when you get near the top you need to be more careful rather than less. JMO
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Dang--tried to watch the clip and can't get the sound Now I REALLY need tech support out here.

Back in my grad. school days, I specialized in theories of drama. In retrospect, we probably could have spent more time on the ways in which audience background, cultural affiliation, etc., affect perceptions of humor. I have, for example, had occasion to notice that a lot of Republications don't find Garrison Keillor funny at all. Come to think of it, I've actually discovered a few friends' political affiliations by attempting to share jokes with them.

No doubt about it, humor is a form of attack/criticism-- and a very effective one. As we all know (if only from riding lessons), it's often difficult not to be offended by criticism, no matter how essential we know it is to learning.
    Go to YouTube and search for went with the breeze or by Carol Burnette. It is a clip from her show way back in the early 1970's.

Personally have not not met any Repubs who dislike old Garrison. He is who he is and continues to be true to himself. Along the lines of Popeye the Sailor Man, I yam what I yam.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    Humor is definitely subjective. And I think only comedians should take that risk. Anyone who wants to represent the riders in this country really should think twice before taking the risk of pissing off southerners, Christians, etc. I think that when you get near the top you need to be more careful rather than less. JMO
    IMO, almost everything is subjective, and we all risk offending somebody almost every time we open our mouths. Indeed, thinking twice is almost always a good idea, but it seems to me that the best leaders are the ones with enough courage to risk pissing off lots of people if necessary in the pursuit of worthwhile goals-- you know, the ones who keep in mind what Lincoln said about never being able to please all of the people all of the time?

I'm with those who give CH a lot of respect for having the courage to get up there for the benefit of U.S. dressage.

6 members found this post helpful.

Go Fish! The success is the money raised, not the ratings. Humor and humiliation for a good cause.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    I watched the first minute or so, when she got to the "I had to pee" sentence, I must admit, I shut it off.

Maybe if she had donned a $2,000 custom shadbelly and $3,000 custom boots and done a parity of a Dressage Queen I would have found it been a bit more clever and appropriate? JMHO
    "parity"?? Perhaps you meant to use "parody"?

Personally, I think dressage queens have been done to death in Eq. circles.

Quote Originally Posted by not again View Post
    Go Fish! The success is the money raised, not the ratings. Humor and humiliation for a good cause.
    Then again, we DO NOT KNOW if the money was raised because of her performance or despite it. The people are supporting the USEF, not her.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by not again View Post
    What "ratings'?? Were there ratings? And yes, indeed, I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from popping onto a stage for a good cause.

It is clear some people look to be offended. just sayin!

IMO, almost everything is subjective, and we all risk offending somebody almost every time we open our mouths. Indeed, thinking twice is almost always a good idea, but it seems to me that the best leaders are the ones with enough courage to risk pissing off lots of people if necessary in the pursuit of worthwhile goals-- you know, the ones who keep in mind what Lincoln said about never being able to please all of the people all of the time?

I'm with those who give CH a lot of respect for having the courage to get up there for the benefit of U.S. dressage.

2 members found this post helpful.

Then again, we DO NOT KNOW if the money was raised because of her performance or despite it. The people are supporting the USEF, not her.
    keep beating that dead horse

"parity"?? Perhaps you meant to use "parody"?

Personally, I think dressage queens have been done to death in Eq. circles.
    Thank you. My vocabulary doesn't match my spelling and vice versa.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

In addition to all of the good points Fish made, there is the issue of freedom of speech. Someone, somewhere will be offended no matter what comes out of our mouths. Your post makes it sound like you are calling for censorship and as though no one should ever try to crack a joke or do a skit unless they are comedians. But, keep in mind, that EVERY comedian offends some group of people. So, either there should be no comedians at all, or we have to just accept that we can’t agree on what is humorous and live and let live.

As for the money raised, it came to $160,000. That’s a lot of money, so I think a larger number of people found the skit entertaining than not.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

Quote Originally Posted by suzy View Post
    In addition to all of the good points Fish made, there is the issue of freedom of speech. Someone, somewhere will be offended no matter what comes out of our mouths. Your post makes it sound like you are calling for censorship and as though no one should ever try to crack a joke or do a skit unless they are comedians. But, keep in mind, that EVERY comedian offends some group of people. So, either there should be no comedians at all, or we have to just accept that we can’t agree on what is humorous and live and let live.

As for the money raised, it came to $160,000. That’s a lot of money, so I think a larger number of people found the skit entertaining than not.
    Stating my response regarding CH's public presentation is to state that I do not believe in free speech is reductio ad absurdum. Should I also state that because you found her funny that she should have raised $100M or more due to her intensly funny content and the fact that she should quit her day job and become a commedienne? I know you're only reaching to take this outside of a discussion of CHs behavior alone since you really like her, but that's not a defense, nor argument. It's a Hail Mary for someone who's lost the argument.

If you reread what I wrote, and you quoted, it said:

My statement was directly aimed at CH. It was also directly aimed at the moment--which was VERY public (the proof being that it is also now on YouTube). I said that I think that only a comedian should attempt what CH did in such a public forum. That she does not have the skill and was not funny (IMO and that of many others out here--which if you'll look back you'll see via comments and thumbs up on posts). I also suggested she should really be more aware of what she is saying and doing in front of a public audience as her behavior could offend people. If that's what she wants to do, or she doesn't care if it does, I have no problem with that. My points had nothing to do with removing her rights (or anyone else's rights) to free speech. It should be obvious by now that I love freedom of speech.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I think you are still missing my point...some people DID find it funny. I think the $$$$ amount raised also supports the idea that a number of people were entertained. And, it could just be that the audience was comprised mostly of non-southern non-Christians OR southern Christians who can laugh at themselves. As far as it making it on to YouTube, I doubt CH had anything to do with that. The fact that is was publicized seems to also support a generally positive reception of the performance by the audience. OTOH, if you believe in conspiracy theories than some evil person made it public to undermine CH and the dressage organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Catherine Haddad View Post
    WOW!!!! AND I THOUGHT THE GERMANS HAD NO SENSE OF HUMOR!!!?!

Genius post Catherine, on many levels.

Suzy, you keep attempting to paint me as a complete whack job to win your point. By saying I think it's a conspiracy when I've never made such statements anywhere on this topic or that I think free speech should be removed means to me that you really have nothing more to say on this. That you've said all you can and are only out here posting to continue to beat down my well thought out replies by using scary rhetoric.

My point, again and again and again, is that she COULD be pissing a lot of people off. That it was (to me) inappropriate and that you have NO proof that she is one of the reasons that much money was raised. That she could have pissed people off and the money was raised for the USEF and despite her performance. There's really no proof one way or the other, but to claim her performance DID help raise that money is not supported and should not be part of this discussion because it cannot be proven. Maybe they would have raised even more if she hadn't performed. Who knows?

The discussion out here is about whether or not it was a good idea for her to attempt a stand up routine. Whether or not people found her funny (some did, some didn't). And if this could negatively impact her career in the future (purely speculative at this point, but interesting to contemplate).

No one is talking about whether or not she is a good rider. No one is talking about if she has a right or not to do a stand up routine in front of a large group of people. Her judgement regarding the subject matter and performing it in a public forum ( you can't tell me she's not bright enough to understand that SOMEONE would tape it and post it in this day and age) is what is being discussed--due to the number of people she might offend and the fact that she wants to some day represent those same people when being on the team.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Suzy, you keep attempting to paint me as a complete whack job to win your point.
    And that's so hard to do.

That it was (to me) inappropriate and that you have NO proof that she is one of the reasons that much money was raised.
    And you DO have proof that she wasn't one of the reasons so much money was raised? Come on, Velvet, that was way too easy. You're taking the fun out of it for me.

I seriously doubt this will hurt her career. She is a proven entity with a solid client base. And, if she is NOT selected for a team based on this video, than there is something really wrong with how we select people. This pales in comparison to the George Lindemann, Jr. debacle.

You keep picking apart my replies to find what you want. In context I said --

That it was (to me) inappropriate and that you have NO proof that she is one of the reasons that much money was raised. That she could have pissed people off and the money was raised for the USEF and despite her performance. There's really no proof one way or the other, but to claim her performance DID help raise that money is not supported and should not be part of this discussion because it cannot be proven.
    I also didn't say she wouldn't be selected to represent us, but that she might find it difficult to make the team. This could be due to a lack of backing in the future, etc. Some of this could come back to haunt her. Just not a smart decision in my mind.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"