The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

You make a good point, Fooler. A Baptist in nun's garb -- not funny. And that's (in part) why I found the stand-up to be offensive and un-funny.

I got a lot of ribbing for my Texas accent after we moved to Colorado. I retorted by telling my new Colorado friends they had NO accent at all!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    O
    Fish and ThreeFigs - would really you find it as humorous if I, a Southern Baptist, were to dress myself or my children as you did? I think not.
    Sure. Why not?? Seems to me it was fun and funny, and would be no matter who was doing it.

And, BTW, I wasn't a Catholic either when I did it, didn't know or care my neighbors' religions, nor, to the best of my knowledge, did they mine.

Also don't understand what difference it would make for a Baptist rather than a Jew, Catholic, or anyone else to dress as a nun for Halloween. Who'd even know without asking? Why would anyone care? For cryin' out loud, it's dress-up, fun, pretend. Seems to me that making fun beats the blazes out of making war, screaming "blasphemy" over cartoons and the like.

2 members found this post helpful.

That's too long and not funny. I'm not offended, it's just not funny.

and I agree with whomever said doing this 'skit' as a fundraiser? Bad form.

4 members found this post helpful.

Since I find her demeanor grating, pompous, and self-important at the best of times, I'm not surprised I don't find this funny. Not offended, but if I had been there, I would've gone outside for a smoke break during this...whatever it was supposed to be.

In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

9 members found this post helpful.

I have always had great respect for CH. Even though I prefer a different riding style, she is a smart, articulate, knowledgeable horsewoman and I am usually interested to hear/read her opinions. All that went out the window in the first few minutes of this skit. I admit I couldn't watch much of it. After she took the Lord's name in vain and accused Him of being short, I was so repulsed that I had to turn it off.

I do not consider myself a "religious fanatic", but I am a Christian who loves the Lord Jesus Christ. If someone had taken pot shots at Winyamaro in a public forum, I believe CH would have been hurt and offended. Why is it that Christians are considered narrow minded or fanatics when we are offended by someone taking pot shots at our Lord?

In the Bible, Jesus Christ is very clear about who He is and why He was on the planet. We all get to choose how we repsond. Some will choose to believe Him, others will not. Some will choose to worship Him, others will choose to mock Him. It's our choice. I just believe that CH chose badly.

I

13 members found this post helpful.

Well said, papony.

I am inclined to believe if she'd insulted Muslims/Islam/Allah there would be a very different thread going on here.

6 members found this post helpful.

WOW!!!! AND I THOUGHT THE GERMANS HAD NO SENSE OF HUMOR!!!?!

23 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    You make a good point, Fooler. A Baptist in nun's garb -- not funny. And that's (in part) why I found the stand-up to be offensive and un-funny.
    Yeah, it's a little different when it's the group poking fun at itself. As for 'televangelists are crooked, so it's not offensive to other Christians', would that mean it would have been okay to make a video as a mock jihadi because they don't represent all Islam?

If someone did a skit like that, say for staff appreciation day, at my workplace, they'd get fired. Wouldn't matter WHAT religion they were mocking. It's just not appropriate.

FYI: We athletes and product donors raised over $160,000 for our US Dressage Team that night! Go USA!

21 members found this post helpful.

When I mentioned halloween nun costumes not being offensive to my catholic friends I should have mentioned the costumes were being worn by strangers, religion unknown.

Some folks have more tolerance than others, that's fine. That doesn't stop me from wishing that everyone would lighten up a bit. Especially where religion is concerned.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Catherine Haddad View Post
    WOW!!!! AND I THOUGHT THE GERMANS HAD NO SENSE OF HUMOR!!!?!

I come from a truly racist society, having lived in south africa for a decade during the worst of apartheid. I learned an important thing. If the group you are "joking" about find its offensive, it IS offensive. It is not the right of the "victor" to decide this.

adding to it by labelling Germans, ( nudge nudge wink wink) is about as classy as the stand up was. but dont worry, it was for money, so that makes it all okay.

Marion Georgiev

14 members found this post helpful.

Stay Classy, Catherine.

2 members found this post helpful.

duplicate

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

You see, though, most of the people who find this offensive probably aren't the people who are being lampooned.

And if we are talking "generic" Christians, then by the above reasoning, no one could ever make fun of Christianity. Which would be an absurd result. It seems rather important, at least to me, that we can make fun of ANYTHING. There is nothing so sacred that it shouldn't be the subject of humor. Otherwise, what a sad world we have come to inhabit.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I didn't find the skit funny at all. Even though I'm religious and have laughed in the past at some things that poke fun at my own religion, that kind of "comedy" is getting old now.

I wish more people would try to come up with clever comedy, a la Steve Allen, rather than resorting to making fun of specific groups of people.

7 members found this post helpful.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    You see, though, most of the people who find this offensive probably aren't the people who are being lampooned.

And if we are talking "generic" Christians, then by the above reasoning, no one could ever make fun of Christianity. Which would be an absurd result. It seems rather important, at least to me, that we can make fun of ANYTHING. There is nothing so sacred that it shouldn't be the subject of humor. Otherwise, what a sad world we have come to inhabit.
    The thing is, NO ONE will make fun of Muhammed or Islam--for fear of being killed, tortured, or all of the above. Just look at that movie they made that had NOTHING to do with the embassy attacks. They used it as an excuse for the attacks and it was made into a reason to riot and once again hate the USA.

I think that there are things people will not mock out of fear. Which is just to say that you're wrong to say that nothing is exempt from mocking.

I do not believe that is right, and I believe that there is a place to make fun of everything, as you do, viney. My only problem with this skit is where it was, who performed it, and why it was performed. Just bad taste. Not to mention, I found it pretty much an approach to a topic that's been done over and over again, and by much funnier people with better material.

I was thinking about what we find funny. I think that comedians we really love often mock themselves as a part of the humor. And if they don't, like say Eddie Murphy, at least we knew he was crude and would try to make fun of everything --and that is part of what was funny (or the reason you hated him). It was that he was crude and was expected to be a jerk with his humor. In his attacking others that he disliked, it was okay to also dislike him and laugh at him more often than with him.

I'm sure others will add more to why things are funny.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

3 members found this post helpful.

Viney as a Southern, Christian woman I knew the routine after 2 minutes. Velvet is correct, it has been done before, for decades and it is old. Don't go there unless you are really good or have a better spin on it.

As to humor, yes most of it is best when the humourist includes him/her-self in the joke. I loved Eddie Murphy's "ghetto burger" routine because we all have a parent who "knows" they prepare a better______________ than any restaurant and for less money.

Ms Haddad, again kudos for the your willingness to put yourself out there to raise money. It seems to have been a profitable evening. As a suggestion before you are asked or volunteer to do a repeat performance. Watch this old clip - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4aRMZ4ePmMM
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Gee - I have many friends in Germany and they come and say with us often. They don't lack a sense of humor.
    Ms. Haddad is free to defend her performance but it is certainly possibl and, in my opinion probable, that more money could have been raised with a better performance.
    Last edited by ise@ssl; Apr. 27, 2013 at 09:21 AM.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

what is truly incomprehensible about this, is the implication that anyone who chooses to be offended by the performance, is deserving of further criticism.

When humor is simply the vehicle that people use for mocking others, its not funny, when humor is used in a somewhat self reciprocal way, then it is genuine and funny.

Ms Haddad, born in the north ( Michigan) and having lived in germany for a number of years, was clearly not identifying in anyway with the group she was mocking, so it was pure mockery, and unfunny in the way of one who thinks they are superior to the category of people they are mocking.

however, what most people find offensive is not the caricature of the southern barefoot pregnant woman, but the insulting references to the Diety that they love and respect.

i would suggest, that if it were not CH, but an unknown person, not a single person on this board would have looked past the first few minutes and turned it off.

13 members found this post helpful.

oh dear god