The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

If you find this funny and entertaining ...that's your choice. I did not - that's mine. I do have a great sense of humor but this was not funny. And the fact that it was a fund raiser for an organization that I belong to DOES allow me to make a judgement about whether or not it was appropriate. I stand on my opinion that it was not.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

13 members found this post helpful.

I do not see the humour when a successful individual denegrates disadvantaged, less fortunate folks, just for grins and money. It brings to mind the high school "clique" thing. It's cheap, and not worthy of somebody hoping to represent their country (ALL of their country), or the USET.
    Last edited by Equibrit; Apr. 21, 2013 at 01:37 PM.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

15 members found this post helpful.

Thought it was funny. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

1 members found this post helpful.

another vote for very funny.

Improved my opinion of ch that she can do free range stand up like that

I do not see the humour when a successful individual denegrates disadvantaged, less fortunate folks, just for grins and money. It brings to mind the high school "clique" thing. It's cheap, and not worthy of somebody hoping to represent their country (ALL of their country), or the USET.
    How is it a denigration of the disadvantaged unless you already have those prejudices?

Maybe it is in your mind and perhaps you are The Snob.

Not allowed to make fun of over the top religious evangelists? Since when?

7 members found this post helpful.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

If I were her, I wouldn't quit my day job to become a stand up comic.

Just not funny. Really poor taste on many levels, not to mention as someone who wants to represent our country at the Olympics someday.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

5 members found this post helpful.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by ise@ssl View Post
    I love humor but this wasn't funny. I have good friends in the South and the barefoot/pregnant routine wasn't necessary. And if this was a fund raiser - we are scraping bottom. I am also adding that I was offended as a Christian. We seem to be the easy target.
    Yeah, if she'd worn a burka and mocking Islam, people would have freaked out. But it's okay to make fun of the religion where people won't threaten your life for mocking them. Too easy of a target to be even remotely funny. And the sterotype is just tacky and not funny.

Others who find this humorous probably wouldn't like it if she'd decided to go after their beliefs, or lack thereof.

Interesting how when the shoe is on the other foot, people can find things not so funny.

I actually think Mike's title is offensive. But since he found it so darned funny and felt the need to pass this on, I'm guessing he thinks she's hilarious.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    Yeah, if she'd worn a burka and mocking Islam, people would have freaked out. But it's okay to make fun of the religion where people won't threaten your life for mocking them. Too easy of a target to be even remotely funny. And the sterotype is just tacky and not funny.

Others who find this humorous probably wouldn't like it if she'd decided to go after their beliefs, or lack thereof.

Interesting how when the shoe is on the other foot, people can find things not so funny.

I actually think Mike's title is offensive. But since he found it so darned funny and felt the need to pass this on, I'm guessing he thinks she's hilarious.
    That is what makes it fun to be an american. MOST of us can take a joke. I have never seen any of my catholic friends freak out because some people dress as nuns on halloween.
    We, for the most part, aren't so radical in our beliefs that we can't take a little ribbing ..

8 members found this post helpful.

I'm not going to join in on this petty argument over whether it's funny because it doesn’t matter. The important issue is CH's intentions. She was trying to do something good for dressage in this country. Why not give her credit for her efforts on behalf of the dressage community rather than sniping at one another as to what constitutes humor. I don't think there is ANY comedian/enne in the world that everyone will agree is funny. To be funny, you have to be willing to take on "sacred cows" which will undoubtedly offend some group of people. That’s just how it is. It took a lot of guts to get up and do that skit, but she clearly feels strongly about the USEF and is willing to do whatever she can to help. How many of us have done that? I’m afraid I haven’t.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

13 members found this post helpful.

I agree suzy.I think she's a good sport.
    Not everyone is willing to look ridiculous for their cause..

3 members found this post helpful.

That's a good point. I did find the "only one cleansing per day" comment funny -- but it went on too long. I did not watch the whole skit. Maybe I missed the funny part. I grew up in Texas when ladies wearing beehive hairdos and baton-twirling beauty queens reigned supreme. I know all about stereotypes. In 1960's Texas, they were real.

Oh, and I AM a Catholic who has been known to dress up as a nun for Halloween. The costume consisted of a home-made nun's wimple and a black hot-pants outfit, black stockings and heels.

I agree with Suzy too. Being neither southern nor religious, I wasn't offended by the routine. But I didn't find it extremely funny either. It did kind of go on and on and seemed awkwardly unfunny at time. However, I think CH was a great sport to do it at all.

6 members found this post helpful.

Suzy - honestly is this the best we can do to raise money for our sport teams? I think it's rather pathetic that people feel we have to go this low to raise some dough.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

ISE, there's nothing stopping you--or anyone else--from offering something better.

As you can see, a number of people found the skit amusing and inoffensive. My guess (only a guess) is that she helped bring in money that night. I refuse to throw stones at someone who is working so hard for U.S. dressage.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post

Not allowed to make fun of over the top religious evangelists? Since when?
    And how are these folks disadvantaged? They are doing God's work, they believe, and getting paid more than your average American. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Now if you think evangelists and their following are silly, I see how you could accuse Haddad of being a smug elitist. But that would mean that many people, not just Haddad, look down on religious extremists.

I can think of better things to fight about.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Seriously That was funny?? More like classless and tacky!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    And how are these folks disadvantaged? They are doing God's work, they believe, and getting paid more than your average American. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Now if you think evangelists and their following are silly, I see how you could accuse Haddad of being a smug elitist. But that would mean that many people, not just Haddad, look down on religious extremists.

I can think of better things to fight about.
    Given the scandals involving embezzlement and stories of those from whom some tv evangelists have taken life savings, I don't think they are at all disadvantaged, and think they have earned ridicule. Given a personal situation involving them, I also think they as a group have earned it.

I don't think those who are very religious as a group earned the ridicule, nor Southerners. I didn't interpret it that way, though, but saw it as ridicule of the specific televangelists who basically stripped many who WERE disadvantaged of their life savings, and therefore didn't see it as offensive from my perspective. For those who thought it was ridicule of Southerners in general or anyone religious, I can see how it would be seen as offensive even though I disagree.

I didn't find it particularly funny, but that's more because of my negative feelings toward televangelists the the fact it made my skin crawl thinking of them.

Is Catherine pregnant? I've seen repeated mention of that, and missed word that she is, and if that was what she was referencing it totally went over my head when I watched the video. Oops.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    That is what makes it fun to be an american. MOST of us can take a joke. I have never seen any of my catholic friends freak out because some people dress as nuns on halloween.
    We, for the most part, aren't so radical in our beliefs that we can't take a little ribbing ..
    This retrieved some fond memories! I was raised Catholic, got my BA from a Catholic college, and much as I dislike religion in general, also remember well how many Catholics appreciated good humor at their own foibles. Hence, when my daughter was in first grade, and our then new Pope was making a name for himself as a traveler, I costumed said daughter as Pope for Halloween trick-or-treating. What fun! Will always remember the woman who called her husband to the door saying "look-- the Pope has come to visit US!"

I watched the first minute or so, when she got to the "I had to pee" sentence, I must admit, I shut it off.

Maybe if she had donned a $2,000 custom shadbelly and $3,000 custom boots and done a parity of a Dressage Queen I would have found it been a bit more clever and appropriate? JMHO
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

All I can say is, "Catherine, don't give up your day job."

I wasn't offended at all....I just didn't think it was funny. Stand up is (obviously) not as easy as it looks and I just didn't think it was a funny routine.

And are we sure she was suppose to be pregnant? She just looks like she feasted at the AYCE buffet abit too much. If she was "playing pregnant" it should have been a REALLY BIG tummy.

But at the benefit, after afew drinks, it probably was a yuck, and I give her thumbs up for taking the chance, even if it was for charity. She's pretty brave. Just not funny....

Only watched a few minutes as it wasn't entertaining enough to keep my interest. It reminded me of experiences I and other Southerners have/had when meeting or traveling to other areas of the US. Ranging from been asked to say something so they can hear the accent to being asked if those are the first shoes I ever owned. A co-worker from Atlanta was "shown" an escalator by someone from the Midwest as that person was certain my co-worker had never seen one before.

Viney - yes HeeHaw did often my young sensitive oh so cool sensibilities when it ran, but I actually enjoyed the show. It was more clever than many and I originally thought.

Fish and ThreeFigs - would really you find it as humorous if I, a Southern Baptist, were to dress myself or my children as you did? I think not.

One truism for most humans is we can make fun of ourselves, our family or our "group". But "you", not so much.

Kudos to CH for the desire to help, I suggest she rethink her act the next time.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim