The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wide foot bed stirrups

Are there wide foot bed stirrups available that are not Royal Rider or Wildkart?

Preferably something that won't break the bank because I don't even know if I will like them in the long run.

Cheaper version of the Wildkart are the Evol...

http://equi-products.com/store/for-t...l-stirrup.html

I've really enjoyed mine so far but haven't had them too long (~6 months) and have yet to jump any significant jump with them but hopefully will be soon!

I have the ProJump Extra Pads for my stirrups and I love them! I like the heavy weight of regular stirrups but wanted the wider tread (without breaking the bank!) and these fit the bill perfectly.

http://projump.com/ExtraPads.htm

1 members found this post helpful.

I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Tekna makes them as well.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

I have the Wildkart Jin that i really like, and recently bought the ones from MDC that are similar for another saddle. They are the Hunter Classic (http://www.smartpakequine.com/mdc-hu...up-10325p.aspx). The latter are still over $100 but a lot less than the Wildkarts, and I like them almost as well. I actually bought the MDCs for $90 on eBay (brand new), but haven't seen any more on there lately.

The Prestige Silk is another composite wide footbed similar to the Royal Riders, but a little cheaper. I like them, but have also seen them break (two different stirrups, two different times). Prestige replaced them, but it still makes me a bit leery.

I've had the Equiwing aluminum stirrup with the wide footbed and liked them well enough. I prefer the Wildkart and MDC to them, myself, but for the money, they are a nice alternative and can give you an idea if you like the wider footbed.

bM is offline Working Hunter
    Original Poster

Wow, there are many more options then I had thought originally.

horsepoor - are the MDC's heavier then the Wildkarts? I feel like an ultra light stirrup would be hard to pick up when you loose it.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    I have the Wildkart Jin that i really like, and recently bought the ones from MDC that are similar for another saddle. They are the Hunter Classic (http://www.smartpakequine.com/mdc-hu...up-10325p.aspx).
    Was just about to post about the MDC Hunter Classics. I really love them—I find that they weigh about the same as a regular Fillis iron.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by bM View Post
    horsepoor - are the MDC's heavier then the Wildkarts? I feel like an ultra light stirrup would be hard to pick up when you loose it.
    I have not noticed the weight being any different, but let me compare tomorrow and check back. Neither are so light weight that I've had an issue with picking them up.

Original Poster

I caved and bought Wildkarts today. The lady at the tack shop talked me into it.

I figure if I absolutely hate them I shouldn't have trouble selling them anyway.

I caved and bought Wildkarts today. The lady at the tack shop talked me into it.

I figure if I absolutely hate them I shouldn't have trouble selling them anyway.
    Did you get these? - http://www.farmhousetack.com/servlet...-Irons,/Detail

Or do they have a more reasonably priced version that I couldn't find?
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Classic Stirrup look with a wide foot bed
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/mdc-hu...x?cm_vc=Search

I prefer these because it take the pressure off my calf from the stirrup leather
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/mdc-sp..._-NA&cm_vc=Rec

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by klmck63 View Post
    I have the ProJump Extra Pads for my stirrups and I love them! I like the heavy weight of regular stirrups but wanted the wider tread (without breaking the bank!) and these fit the bill perfectly.

http://projump.com/ExtraPads.htm

I've had those on my stirrups for years (herm sprenger 2 ways) - love 'em!
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    Did you get these? - http://www.farmhousetack.com/servlet...-Irons,/Detail

Or do they have a more reasonably priced version that I couldn't find?
    Those are the ones I bought.

I have the KAT stirrups (pretty much exactly the same as the Jin, but made in Germany instead). I had EquiWing stirrups prior, and I definitely prefer the Kat! The wide footbed really helped with stability, but the thing I really like about the Kat/Jin stirrups is the little slanted edge, they are really comfy! I was worried that because they are metal my ankle problems would come back, but my ankles feel great in them!

Well for anyone else that stumbles upon this thread, I have these:

Equi Wing Aluminum Stirrup Irons

And LOVE them. I like the traditional metal look. The weight is just right (not has heavy as fillis style, heavier than composite). Plus they cost much less than other brands (I got mine new in box at a tack sale for $10! - but they usually run around $75). They come with rubber and cheese grater pads.

Those are the ones I bought.
    Ahhhh sooooo; have you ridden in them yet? Do you like them. They look really nice.

I used to like the heavier irons but after riding in the Royal Riders for a while, I am now used to the lighter stirrups.

I am waiting to buy the new RR in the silver because I want to see them in person first. I don't ride much Eq but if I do I don't want to have to change stirrups.

I really like the look of the Wildkart Jins..... very interested to hear about them especially due to the price point
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post

And LOVE them. I like the traditional metal look. The weight is just right (not has heavy as fillis style, heavier than composite). Plus they cost much less than other brands (I got mine new in box at a tack sale for $10! - but they usually run around $75). They come with rubber and cheese grater pads.
    Appsolute, don't you ride endurance? I'm asking sinceI still haven't bought any endurance style stirrups because, well, I think they're ugly *blush*....but the ones you linked look really nice. I'm wondering if any of these wide foot bed stirrups would work for endurance as well?

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    Appsolute, don't you ride endurance? I'm asking sinceI still haven't bought any endurance style stirrups because, well, I think they're ugly *blush*....but the ones you linked look really nice. I'm wondering if any of these wide foot bed stirrups would work for endurance as well?
    I do not ride endurance specifically, but I do spend the majority of my time out on the trails in rough terrain. I do most of my riding in a “forward seat” saddle, and I use these stirrups. I am out for 4+ hours sometimes, and these stirrups have fixed my “numb baby toe” issue. I do flat work in the arena, and jumping with these stirrups as well.

I have learned to love the cheese grater pads – they are very secure, even after splashing through a water jump – or if my boots got muddy, getting off to open a gate at an especially slippery section of the trail!

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post

I have these too and I really like them. I much prefer them to the Royal Rider. They are lighter but I don't find lighter stirrups harder to pick up than heavier ones.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.