The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Point Two Soft Shell vest/jacket -- opinions?

Looking at purchasing a Point Two Soft Shell vest or jacket to hack in at home. I ride everyday and just think it would give me some good piece of mind. Has anyone had one of these? Are they worth the money? How comfortable? Any info is appreciated! Thanks!
    Laura

I haven't ridden in this particular vest (I do have a Point Two for xc), but did see it recently. It is very lightweight and looks like a jacket or vest instead of a life vest The air canister is hidden in a pocket that you can also tuck the lanyard into when you are not riding.

Can't imagine they aren't comfortable, but I honestly don't know how worth the money they really are. I've fallen in mine several times (with a standard vest under it, per USEF rules). Two times it definitely helped me not be too achy and sore (none of my falls have been terribly dramatic). The third fall, though, I fell on the flat at a gallop....so, really, really hard, and I was a wreck (it did go off. I heard it go as I was falling toward the ground!). I just wonder if you would be better off less money on just a regular vest for what you want it for.

Don't forget that you have to hook yourself to the saddle and, more importantly REMEMBER to unhook before getting off. Forgetting that gets expensive (the canisters are about $30 a piece).