The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Would this saddle be okay for me?

I have been looking for a saddle for a while now, and i was about to get a collegiate, when my friend informed me that she was going to be selling her gorgeous jaguar saddle at an amazing price! I took measurements and its perfect. Only thing is, i ride in a 16.5 seat and this one is a 17. I rode in a 17 dover circuit saddle and i was fine, didnt really feel much of a difference actually. I have been riding for 10 yrs (western for 9, english 1 yr) i have a good seat and good balance, so i didnt think i should really be too worried about the saddle making me unbalanced. Will this affect my riding too much? Thanks!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Try it on yourself and your horse and see what happens. Depending on the build of the saddle and the length of the working center, you may be a different size in different brands, or even a different size in different models of the same brand.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

First and most important question is does it fit your horse correctly?

It does. I made sure it fit him first, then moved on to the size for myself.

Different brands fit differently, so see how it is. Get someone to take photos/videos of you riding in it. I ride in 16.5 in most saddles, but the new Antares I just ordered fit perfectly in a 17. It CAN make a difference, but sometimes it is a positive difference.

Not sure if it helps, but I ride in an 18" flatter CWD, but just recently purchased a Jaguar for a steal of a deal in a 17" and it fits my hard to fit mare like a glove! It is a deeper seat than my CWD. Lovely saddles! Contacted Jaguar and found out mine is 15 years old, gorgeous! My advice would be to ride in it for yourself and see! I doubt that 1/2" will make a huge difference

Your friend won't let you ride in it to try?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.