The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse that just doesn't like a bit

I have an older horse that just fusses fusses fusses with the contact. I used a bitless bridle on him today and he was FABULOUS! BUT I can't show in that. What can I use on him in competition? I have tried a Happy Mouth Mullen Mouth and he is OK but still tugs at the reins. HATES a double bridle (and he will be doing 4th/PSG this year.) Suggestions? Nothing wrong with his teeth, total health check up performed....
    Enough with the drama!

1 members found this post helpful.

How did he get to 4th/psg if he doesn't go well in a bit? Is this something recent that started? Is he actually forward and our your hands quiet? Just trying to figure out why he would start this if he has been trained up the levels with a bit.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I would try something like the Myler bit style MB04. It offers tremendous tongue freedom and movement. See how he does with no tongue pressure.

My hates a bit because her tongue has a deep scar mare will accept a fat rubber bit. She still fusses some, but at least it doesnt make her rear like any other bit I've tried.

Perhaps a leather mullen-type bit?

Fusses with contact in what way? Tossing head? Thrusting tongue? Grating? Tugs on reins as is leaning? Hates a double in what way?
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Is he fairly new to you? Has he always done this or is it something that started suddenly or over time?
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

I thought I'd heard that the Dr. Cook's Bitless Bridle was legal now, but check the rulebook. May depend upon the level, too.

CFFarm:

My mare hates the bit and goes in a rolled leather snaffle. Bitless when she's not in a dressage lesson or trotting down centerline.

The Herm Sprenger Duo or a Nathe are mullen plastic snaffles that are more flexible than the happy mouth you're using. I notice my pony shapes hers Just So to be comfy. I would suggest giving one of those a try.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Ditto on the Duo. My Or a Sprenger Dynamic RS. My horse hated the happy mouth mullen mouth so much he literally ate through it. To be fair it was one of the ones with the wavy look. Another bit that worked well for him was a Myler curved sweet iron one that I wish I could find now as a barn mate's horse goes better in it than anything else she's tried and I'm not giving mine up. I'm not just being greedy--it's currently in use for horse #2.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Just a thought, one of my kids had blind wolf's teeth. Hers were really hard to find unless you were really looking for them. Had an inkling something was wrong when she started flinging her head around like a dog playing tug-o-war. Was an older gal too, I just always assumed the older ones had them pulled, guess I won't anymore!