The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default what to eat at asian restaurants for primal/paleo eaters?

i'm finding true happiness eating the primal way and am losing weight every day.
    so far so wonderful!
    but I do love pad thai and some other Asian standards and want to know about the noodles and sauces, are they gluten free noodles usually? and is sugar or corn syrup a typical ingredient? I know many restaurants now post about msg, another ingredient I need to avoid.
    so what can I order and still eat 'clean'?

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    i'm finding true happiness eating the primal way and am losing weight every day.
    so far so wonderful!
    but I do love pad thai and some other Asian standards and want to know about the noodles and sauces, are they gluten free noodles usually? and is sugar or corn syrup a typical ingredient? I know many restaurants now post about msg, another ingredient I need to avoid.
    so what can I order and still eat 'clean'?
    That is a great question Suz, I am kind of afraid to eat at Chinese restaurants with eating this way now, because I wonder what they really use, MSG artificial ingredients Do not really know but would like to hear as well!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Paleo need not be an extreme, "all-or-nothing" proposition. It certainly isn't for most of us. When we have our own choice, we try to keep to the "rules;" but they can be occasionally bent without grave damage unless you're mentally an absolutist.

I love Asian foods, and stick to the vegetable, meat, and seafood dishes eating a very minimal amount, if any, of the rice. Many people are allergic to MSG, a fact to which better restaurants are becoming sensitive, so if you don't want any (I sure don't!) just ask the waiter politely to please not use any due to your ALLERGY when you order. If you like, you can also tell them not to use sugar.

Most better places are going to stir-fry in peanut oil or coconut oil, which withstand higher heats than the artificial junky stuff. But you can also ask to be sure something good for you is used.

The bottom line is one meal, occasionally, with a no-no or two isn't going to derail your health.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Paleo need not be an extreme, "all-or-nothing" proposition. It certainly isn't for most of us. When we have our own choice, we try to keep to the "rules;" but they can be occasionally bent without grave damage unless you're mentally an absolutist.

The bottom line is one meal, occasionally, with a no-no or two isn't going to derail your health.
    well thanks, but as i'm in the learning curve and working hard to eliminate foods which are making me ill, I actually need specific info.
    thanks anyway.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    well thanks, but as i'm in the learning curve and working hard to eliminate foods which are making me ill, I actually need specific info.
    thanks anyway.
    Suz, Have you read It starts with Food? ITs very Extreme Paleo, Goes into detail about the things that even though they are allowed on some plans, Wheat Belly etc. They are not good. I got it on Kindle, I think I posted the name of it and the authors on the Paleo thread.
    Here you go Suz.
    http://www.amazon.com/Starts-With-Fo...words=whole+30
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

PF Changs has a gluten free menu, and for Japanese restaurants you can bring little packets of gluten free tamari with you.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Pad Thai noodles are made of rice flour (you could easily go to a grocery store and look at a package of them to see if they are totally gluten free), but typically, the dish is made with fish sauce, sugar (granulated) or molasses. Again, a quick look at a recipe could help you get a grasp of the typical ingredients, or ask the restaurant.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!