The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Paprika and testing

How long before a horse show should I stop feeding paprika to help enhance my black horse's coat so that it doesn't test at a horse show?

I believe it is 7 days
    Life is hard. Buy a freaking helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Whatever, go gallop.

What sort of enhancement does it have other then a lustrous black coat? I didn't even know it tested.

Quote Originally Posted by bM View Post
    What sort of enhancement does it have other then a lustrous black coat? I didn't even know it tested.
    It may contain capsaicin, which is what tests.

I always stopped two weeks before a show.

Also, remember that it really only affects the coat when the coat is growing. I would start feeding paprika to my black gelding in the spring just before/right when the summer coat was starting & the winter coat was dropping; and then again in late-summer when the fall coat was coming in. In the middle of the summer, it really doesn't make any impact.

Plus, don't feed for too long -feeding daily for over a month or two can cause the hairs to go RED. So, instead of a jet black, you start getting a maroon tinge. Kind of cool...but not necessarily what you wanted.

My blackie gets it every day and has never gotten a red tinge. In 10 years.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    My blackie gets it every day and has never gotten a red tinge. In 10 years.
    How much do you give him, and do you see a real difference? I've been skeptical and my trainer is definitely NOT a believer in the dark coat supplements. That said, I would really like my black horse to be ... well ... black.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

1 members found this post helpful.

I used SmartPak's SmartDark and Handsome and I saw a noticeable difference after 2 months. When I stopped using it, my guy started getting red right away. I wanted to start paprika because its cheaper and I wanted to use it for my guy who stays outside too.

I'm with sammicat- how much do you give your horses?

Turn him out at night in the summertime, or use a UV-resistant fly sheet when he's out for far better results than any paprika supplement.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Turn him out at night in the summertime, or use a UV-resistant fly sheet when he's out for far better results than any paprika supplement.
    That's what I'm doing, so I guess I will keep it up
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Quote Originally Posted by sammicat View Post
    How much do you give him, and do you see a real difference? I've been skeptical and my trainer is definitely NOT a believer in the dark coat supplements. That said, I would really like my black horse to be ... well ... black.
    A tablespoon per day. Kept him jet black even when he was in the summer sun all day long.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

1 members found this post helpful.

There is science behind the whole paprika and dark coats thing. Pretty sure it's that copper is used in the process of applying pigment to the coat. To an extent more copper=more pigment.

That being said I did have a mix up with the feed ladies a few summers back and ended up getting tested at a horse show while my horse was on Black as Knight. I didn't know until spoke with the feed crew after the show that he'd not been taken off the supplement. Never heard anything back from the USEF, so I guess they weren't too upset with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    I've done the UV Sheet before with my brown mare. It doesn't help, she wore it 24/7 and while it preserved her shine, it didn't do squat for her color. I suspect that she fades due to sweat (and she gets a hose down after every workout).

Mare in May

Mare in the beginning of July (6 weeks later)

Since she's rather, err, high energy, 24/7 turnout is what she does best on, so night turnout really isn't an option. I've just resigned myself to the only "grulla" Tb in the world, lol. One of these days I do plan on trying a supplement...its just not been a priority.

I have a black horse and I give him 2 cups of black oil sunflower seeds daily and he goes out at night when its warm. His coat stays dark and very shiny, you can tell the difference when he's not getting his sunflower seeds

brynleigh- are they seeds with the shell or just the seed itself?

^ just the seeds. Some people soak them...I feed them dry. They are high in omega 3...better then flax imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_girl221 View Post
    ^ just the seeds. Some people soak them...I feed them dry. They are high in omega 3...better then flax imo.
    I do not believe this is true. Sunflower seeds have a much higher omega-6 to omega-3 ratio than flax seeds.

Quote Originally Posted by EAY View Post
    I do not believe this is true. Sunflower seeds have a much higher omega-6 to omega-3 ratio than flax seeds.
    Sorry...poorly worded (on my phone), I was referring to my results not the omega levels. I personally have seen much better results with the BOSS vs. the flax for both shine and weight gain and I like that you dont' have to grind them. I actually have a friend with a very starch sensitive mare (basically IR even though she tests negative for it) and she feeds a combo of the BOSS and alfalfa mixed with coconut oil and when she tested the feed....the protein and fat content was unbeatable.

I will preface with while they make my horses fat, super shiny and pretty...they don't do anything for fading, particularly my one mare.