The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default It's Springtime!! and the Stallion gets loose

This is the third time I've seen this situation. Three separate barns, mare in heat --stallion is desperate, gets loose and breeds. In all cases, the stallion owner probably hopes the boarder mare does not get pregnant. But.. it does.

At this point I'm curious, especially if the stallion is fancy. The mare, (not mine , so I can say it) probably should not be bred. I know, not my problem, but this "event" does occur. What should the stallion owner do?
    Last edited by mooonie; Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:46 AM.

Improve her fencing or risk getting the crap sued o/o her. Most states have very strict laws governing the fencing of stallions.

But other than this there is no SOP for what the stallion owner should do.

10 members found this post helpful.

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

The stallion owner should offer to pay for the farm call and the lutalyse injection, and teach her horse better manners.

21 members found this post helpful.

It depends - were all three barns owned by the stallion owner or were they at a boarding facility.

If the stallion owner owns the farm - I think they would be held responsible, however if they were being boarded at a boarding facility - the facility is the one who should be held responsible.

2 members found this post helpful.

If the stallion is that "desperate" he should be a gelding. But aside from that, his owner should pay for the Vet visit to make sure the mare is not pregnant and then make darn sure the stallion doesn't get loose again.

4 members found this post helpful.

At the very least, the stallion owner should #1 pay the vet costs associated with this mare receiving a lutalyse injection, and any injuries that may have occurred. Not only that, #2 but either (a) the fencing should be fixed so that it can properly hold a stallion, or (b) the stallion should be gelded or removed from the property.

In the case the mare owner did not want to give her mare the lutalyse injection, then the stallion owner should #3 offer a breeding certificate absolutely free of charge. And then of course... Resort back to one of the options from #2.
    Lorelei Welsh Ponies - Visit us on Facebook!
    Breeding show quality Welsh Ponies for the hunters, dressage, in-hand, and more!

1 members found this post helpful.

We have double fencing and it's four board wood. Unfortunately one of the posts rotted and broke. My stallion would have just ended up in the alley way. Unfortunately my daughter and her friend left a gate open so he got in with the geldings. They beat the crap out of him and we found him very humbled. Our "triple" safety net definitely worked. Now if there were two more gates left open he could have gotten to mares. So really he would need to go through 5 safety nets to get to mares. I think that's the trick. I don't think I'd ever rely on one single fence/gate to contain them.

my beloved hanoverian is the result of such an accident He was conceived in Germany by two 2-year olds, and was born when his mom was 3. He was happily much more affordable than a 'plannned foal' and with his performance bloodlines being all I could have hoped for, I got the horse of my dreams, only with "white papers" instead of "pink" ones. But he's a gelding, so who cares?
    Luckily, both sire and dam were owned by the same breeding farm, so no legal issues...
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

Quote Originally Posted by NoDQhere View Post
    If the stallion is that "desperate" he should be a gelding. But aside from that, his owner should pay for the Vet visit to make sure the mare is not pregnant and then make darn sure the stallion doesn't get loose again.
    He's not desperate, he's a stallion. This is what stallions do when they get out...you are not going to "train" a stallion to avoid mares and if you could -- why?

Whoever is responsible for fencing needs to be responsible...

And as many others have noted, it would be nice if either the SO or whoever left the gate open () be responsible for terminating the pregnancy if one occurred.

But I've heard stories of "desperate" mare owners who somehow let their mares loose (but it was always an accident) in the vicinity of a desirable stallion...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    But I've heard stories of "desperate" mare owners who somehow let their mares loose (but it was always an accident) in the vicinity of a desirable stallion...
    Oh, Ive heard similar. Stallion managed to put on his own headcollar, and open his own door too, before he got 'loose'

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    He's not desperate, he's a stallion. This is what stallions do when they get out...you are not going to "train" a stallion to avoid mares and if you could -- why?

Whoever is responsible for fencing needs to be responsible...

And as many others have noted, it would be nice if either the SO or whoever left the gate open () be responsible for terminating the pregnancy if one occurred.

Ooh, my bad, I assumed said stallion crashed his fence/gate to get loose. If a silly human let him loose, then for sure it is not his fault.

In this case, the stallion did in fact break loose, but he had only one gate to get through. Incidentally, the stallion was housed next to the mare.
    Last edited by mooonie; Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:49 PM.

Well then is certainly wasn't his fault. His owner is an idiot

5 members found this post helpful.

Hmmm…
    An idiot is someone who does not know right from wrong.

I would call this, irresponsible.

Now, here is my dilemma.
    If someone is irresponsible, are they even going to call the mare owner to let her know what happened? Is she going to even call out the Vet? I have my concerns, but will not tell the mare owner because it is not my responsibility.
    On the other hand, since the mare has been put in harm’s way, do I say anything to the stallion owner, and if so, what?
    Is this none of my business?

My preference would be to say nothing, and just leave.

Quote Originally Posted by mooonie View Post
    Hmmm…
    An idiot is someone who does not know right from wrong.

I would call this, irresponsible.

Now, here is my dilemma.
    If someone is irresponsible, are they even going to call the mare owner to let her know what happened? Is she going to even call out the Vet? I have my concerns, but will not tell the mare owner because it is not my responsibility.
    On the other hand, since the mare has been put in harm’s way, do I say anything to the stallion owner, and if so, what?
    Is this none of my business?

My preference would be to say nothing, and just leave.
    If you know about it first-hand, then I would find a polite way to say to the mare owner, "Hey, is your mare doing okay since the incident?" I think it is very, very important for the mare's health and well-being that the owner is made aware of the situation. So long as the owner knows the risks associated with what has taken place, and was in fact aware, I would leave it at that. How she handles it should be her own deal with the stallion owner. Hopefully, the mare owner seeks veterinary care one way or another for the mare's potential pregnancy.

I don't think you should say anything to the stallion owner, unless you are the mare owner or the facility manager/owner. If you have horses boarded at this facility, the best thing to do is talk to the manager/owner and explain to them how you feel about the stallion getting loose. If it is not handled properly by manager/owner, then I would leave.
    Lorelei Welsh Ponies - Visit us on Facebook!
    Breeding show quality Welsh Ponies for the hunters, dressage, in-hand, and more!

If somebody knew a stallion had broken into the field with my mare and NOT told me I would be FURIOUS! As far as I am concerned everyone involved with animals has a responsibility to ensure their health and well-being, not pawn it off as "not my problem".

What do you do, wait until she starts showing and say--"oh Maisey is looking fat these days!" ? Wait until the mare and foal are dead because she foaled out in a field or had twins? Wait until there is another unwanted foal that nobody can afford?
    Don't assume the BO has stepped up. Mention it to the mare owner so that the mare can be ultrasounded and given a shot if needed.
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

Do I understand this correctly?

You are boarding at a place where you know for a fact that a stallion got loose and bred another boarder's mare. You believe that the mareowner has not been informed of this, and is clueless her mare could be pregnant. You are inclined to move your horse, shrug your shoulders, and walk away.

The financial burden of having an unexpected foal and then raising it until it's under tack could financially ruin a lot of people. That's assuming that the mare and foal come out of this okay. And I can think of 100 scenarios that don't end as well as that - including undiagnosed twins, malnutrition due to trying to "diet off" a supposed hay belly that's actually a foal, a dystocia during delivery that results in the loss of the mare (or the foal, or both).... I could go on and on.

If you are worried that the facility owner will make you life or your horse's life hell for "tattling", move first then tell the mareowner.

If I kept my mouth shut, and then later found out something horrible happened to the mare or foal, I'd have a hard time living with myself. But to be honest, it would never enter my mind to stand by silently.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

10 members found this post helpful.

The mare in heat is older and retired, and I have never met her owner.
    My only option is to talk to the stallion owner (who also is the BO --she knows exactly what happened as she was there and separated the two). I suspect she is going to try to sweep it under the carpet and pretend nothing happened. Maybe I'm wrong though.
    I do feel horrible for this mare.

Last edited by mooonie; Apr. 23, 2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: duplicate

You feel horrible for the mare--then DO SOMETHING about it. Contact the owner whether you know them or not and tell them what happened.

Then get your horse out of that barn. If you doubt the owner will not own up to something that important, then you must not trust them with the little things either.

But tell the Mare owner before it is too late for them to safely (and cost effectlively) abort the unwanted pregnancy. It's a no brainer.
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique