The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tangledweb View Post
    Americans talk about freedom a lot, but many Americans seem to have forgotten what freedom means.

Freedom is not about protecting the right of people like you to do things that you like to do. That's just self interest.

Freedom is about protecting the right of people different than you to do things you don't like.

If you want to interfere with others building mosques, getting abortions, waving offensive signs, marrying who they want, or voting then you don't really believe in freedom.
    I'll agree with that.

Now here's a question...

If freedom is about not interfering with what other people do, then what of those individuals and groups who choose to live by a philosophy of interfering with others?

Can the concept of freedom stand to allow the existence of that which inhibits freedom?

But if the concept of freedom takes any action to stop the activity of those who inhibit freedom, is it still freedom, or has it become something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Americans are not one size fits all, sorry.

There are many true americans that are not for freedoms, but follow extremist ideas and are not any less americans for it.

One just the other day told me, when she retires, she is going as a missionary for her church to China, because there is a big need to bring Jesus to the chinese.
    An in most measures perfect, all american lady all her life.

She is not any less an american than those that wonder about her need to go tell others what they need to believe to be good humans, others of a completely different culture, much older than the one she wants to represent and it's religion she wants to convert them to.

Or what about animal rights extremists, wanting to convert all to being vegans and keep hands off animals and so impinging on the freedoms of the rest of us.

What is an american?
    Sorry, it is down to, those that are natural born citizens or those that have a certificate of citizenship, nothing more or less.

Any other pigeonholing we may want to put "americans" into just won't fit.
    Might it be true that all of those pledge allegiances to the flag we did in school we're just political propaganda?

All those American history lessons too?

Why did people actually join the services to fight for all of those wars in American history, what were they fighting for?

1 members found this post helpful.

Down here we say: American by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

We need to learn to think globally. What is best for the people of the world, not just what is best for the USA. The Olympics in Atlanta were to me very strange, with Americans cheering for Americans, not cheering for the best athletes in the events.

Quote Originally Posted by alterhorse View Post
    Might it be true that all of those pledge allegiances to the flag we did in school we're just political propaganda?

Why did people actually join the services to fight for all of those wars in American history, what were they fighting for?
    What about those that shoot people up?
    Are they any less americans because they did that?
    Less americans than the police that were shooting back?

I think anyone that tries to define being an american will have trouble with that, the more specific they try to be about the qualifications to be american.

I think being an American citizen makes you American.
    Here is something I have been thinking about. Yes we are becoming a more global society, and the poster that said the elderly man identified people by state instead of country may have been on to something.
    As much as we all want the world to get along, we also want to feel like we belong, and if we belong to a global community, I think we miss the close knit feeling of "belonging" . Think of the sports rivalries, yankees vs redsocks, giants vs dallas etc. It gives you a sense of something that is always there, that you can be a part of. Mayors get involved, friendships form over these things and a lot of it comes from being from somewhere. Its tradition, and most traditions give people a feeling of comfort.
    I wonder if this is what cults and violent extremest sects give people that can't seem to find it any where else, just a place where they feel like they belong.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

Well if you wanted to be totally facetious (and yet entirely correct)

What makes someone American, or Canadian or anything - is a passport given to that person by that governing body

saying - you are now american/canadian/english/ swedish (take your pick)

I think trying to identify what makes you 'a proper and true citizen' outside legal terminology is like that ever elusive snipe hunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Down here we say: American by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

We need to learn to think globally. What is best for the people of the world, not just what is best for the USA. The Olympics in Atlanta were to me very strange, with Americans cheering for Americans, not cheering for the best athletes in the events.
    But isn't it part the nature of being human, to hold allegiances to groups to which one belongs?

How does the process begin, of influencing that "my group" instinct towards becoming one of a more all encompassing identity with a "world group"?

Should we cheer only the best athletes, and not cheer the the others who try, or should we cheer everyone, and if we selectively cheer, don't we begin to differentiate the individuals we cheer into groups?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    What about those that shoot people up?
    Are they any less americans because they did that?
    Less americans than the police that were shooting back?
    In my personal view, those individuals are not Americans, and I believe one of the purposes of the American law, is to revoke the freedom of those individuals.

I think revoking freedom is equivalent to being revoked of American citizenship.

Default quite complicated to be sure

My son fought for your son's right to protest war.

I bet if you asked people in their 80's the answers would be vastly different than they are here.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    My son fought for your son's right to protest war.

I bet if you asked people in their 80's the answers would be vastly different than they are here.

Back in those days, I think the concept of patriotism was much associated with being an American.

I went to school in another country for a few years and was surprised at the slant each country gave to it's history.

I was reading later about the communist "indoctrination" of youth by making them salute the flag.

Then I thought more about that and got a little creeped out.

Back in those days, I think the concept of patriotism was much associated with being an American.
    IMO, the definition of 'patriotism' is very much like that of 'freedom' or 'American' in that it has evolved over time and is still very much open to a wide interpretation. And, within that exercise, some people are more comfortable with a binary definition while others are okay with more nuance.

For example, is it patriotic to tow the party line no matter what or is it also patriotic to speak out if you think a mistake is being made that will harm the country? Hrrm. Put another way, are you a better friend or relative to those close to you if you supply unconditional support and never tell them when you think they're making a mistake?

I think our definitions have had to change as the world itself has changed. Nostalgia makes the old days simpler and rosier, but I suspect every generation has had to grapple with their own definitions amid unrest and uncertainty.
    ---------------------------

In my personal view, those individuals are not Americans, and I believe one of the purposes of the American law, is to revoke the freedom of those individuals.

I think revoking freedom is equivalent to being revoked of American citizenship.
    I am sorry, if you like them or not, they are still americans.
    More on the "ugly" american category, but still americans.

Beyond being an American by birth or naturalization, I am skeptical regarding ANY pronouncement regarding what heritage, beliefs or actions makes one an American, especially if it it's tied being a specific religion, political persuasion, ethnicity, supporting (or being against) actions of the US government, history of military service. These don't make someone less of an American but neither do they make them MORE of an American.

These things are transient and often subject to the whims of the day. My grandparents on both sides were immigrants of German descent, though not necessarily from Germany proper (Dad's family was from Alsace, France; Mom's family from the former Yugoslavia). In the 1950s, having a German name, speaking German or having a German accent was suspect. Both my parents recall hearing being teased for being "Nazis" by other kids at school. I can bet that quite a few people (even if quietly or privately) would have said that my family weren't "real Americans."

All 4 of my grandparents became naturalized citizens. I don't know about Dad's side, but my Mom's parents applied for citizenship as soon as they were able (after being in the US 5 years). They wanted to belong SOMEWHERE. They were refugees, officially listed as being people without a country, and could NOT go back.

Today, no one questions that I'm American. I might be asked about my tongue twister Teutonic last name out of ideal curiosity, but that's about it. If (hypothetically since I'm childfree) I had children, the German connection would be stories about long dead great-grandparents and some yummy desserts that are treasured family recipes. Kinda how I feel about the fact that one of my great grandparents died in the flu epidemic of 1918....interesting bit of trivia, no personal connection.

Ironically, my mother was recently contacted by some relatives still in Europe because there is a potential for my grandfather to be compensated (70+ years later!) for a house deemed to be unfairly confiscated from his family during the war years. If Grandpa (who is in his 90s and in very poor health) passes away before it's done, my mom would be eligible. Neither my mom nor I really care....it's nice that someone acknowledges what Grandpa went through, but not like we're going to hop on the next plane to Belgrade. This is home.

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

2 members found this post helpful.

I would characterize nationalism as pride, concern and passion. I don't think it's any different to be an American than it is to be a German or a Canadian or Brazilian. And I think feeling that we are different and superior will be our downfall. That is not to say I do not love my country – I do! But I recognize that others love their countries and they are not wrong.

One reaction to acts of terrorism that completely floors me is the attitude that the perpetrator had no right to do this to America of all places. On marathon day, US bombs hit a wedding killing 30 celebrants. How dare we?

Getting back to my first point I think nationalism is understandable and true to human nature. But it can't be blind. There has to be an interest in making improvements, upholding things you believe it. One of my favorite bumper stickers took the (to me) offensive saying AMERICA RIGHT OR WRONG, crossed out the word "or" and replaced it with "THE". That to me is being an American.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Being an American citizen means your allegiance is to the United States of America. We are not citizens of the world, however ideal and seductive that concept may be. We are a sovereign nation with borders that define our country, and a culture, and a language. Some of us may be immigrants, but immigrants who left their home country for this one, and pledge allegiance to America. Yes we are human beings, but there is a reason the human race divided itself into tribes and cultures and countries, and fight to protect their own. The genius of America was to create a government that would keep many diverse people free from tyranny and oppression, and allow its citizens to consent to being governed, by a government they create. You cannot be one who consents and has input, and enjoy the fruits of freedom, while still holding allegiance to another country. ( By the way, just being born here was not criteria for being a citizen until Lydon Johnson took office. That was not the intent of the fourteenth amendment. )

4 members found this post helpful.

Horsehand's post has my complete agreement... Yet BES said the same in three words.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyedSorrel View Post
    This is home.

BES
    Years ago, travel was long, arduous, expensive. People/families left their old home to make a new home in America. They didn't consider going back to the old country. America was their new life, home and country.

When people can change countries in a few hours, America isn't home anymore. It's just a way stop for aid, freebies, education or whatever personal advantage to be had. Dual citizenship is a scam on one of the countries.

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't think Freedom defines the Americans. Canadians, French, Germans, we are all FREE in comparison to North Koreans, Chinese, etc. It is not an American privilege only.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    I don't think Freedom defines the Americans. Canadians, French, Germans, we are all FREE in comparison to North Koreans, Chinese, etc. It is not an American privilege only.
    Freedom was not made in America.

Technically, an American is one who is a citizen of any country in North America, Central America and South America.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant