The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What would you most want to win with a T3D best conditioned award?

I'm planning on donating an award in memory of my horse that passed away last year to the winner of best conditioned horse at IEA T3D. My horse was made for long format events and had easily won the best conditioned award both times he did the T3D there with me and his previous owner. I know it meant a ton to me to win the best conditioned award (since it was the only thing we'd ever gotten first place in together!) so I'm totally over-thinking what would make the best award possible even though I've gotta get my ducks in a row and order it soon to have it ready in time. I want it to be something they'll hopefully use and cherish as a manifestation of a lot of hard work.

I was initially convinced that I would get a dress sheet (Curvon acrylic dress sheet in black with purple trim/embroidery, since black is easily stomached by the masses and I and his previous owner both ran him in some form of purple), but I've been second-guessing myself because many riders already have everyday coolers, if they're like me they'll be scared to use it because it's all fancy, and I'd be guessing with the generic size of 78". But it's still an option.

Other options I've come up with:
    - an aluminum folding director's chair in black with purple embroidery for the award, guaranteed to fit the winning rider
    - a leather grooming halter or leather halter with engraved brass plate (leaning towards grooming halter since most people already have leather show halters for their horses), more likely than not to fit the winning horse unless it's a pony or giant-headed horse like my new guy
    - a navy waterproof/breathable Rambo quarter sheet with purple embroidery, basically guaranteed to fit the winning horse

If I go with the halter or director's chair, I should also be able to afford to add a gift certificate to Smart Pak or Bit of Britain (and if that's the case, which one would you rather get a gift certificate to?). Any of these options would also come with a wash bucket or tote bag with horse treats in it so the winning horse gets some appreciation, too.

Soooo- of these options, and of any other ideas you might have, what would you most prefer to win/what do you think the winner might appreciate the most?

I vote chair. Not crazy about purple, but I'd never turn down such a nice award because of the color!
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

I like the quarter sheet idea. And I love purple.

What a nice gesture, by the way.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I like the idea of a chair, and maybe along with it an optimum time watch (always handy to have a back-up and something that probably gets a lot of use by anyone who has won the Best Conditioned award). And a big bag of Mrs. Pastures cookies for the horse.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

I think those are all really nice. The chair is probably useful in someone's trailer forever, too, regardless of weather.

Another great cooler option, if you go that way, is a Moxie. I won one for my horse and it's nicer than any jacket I own for my own wear. :-)

Another gift that is ALWAYS appreciated is professional photography of the horse you award it to.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

2 members found this post helpful.

I like the idea of a chair and a gift certificate. What a wonderful way to honor your horse.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

As someone who owns a great big horse and has won things like coolers and halters that do not fit, I would vote for the chair as well.
    Or maybe a horsey heart monitor?
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Personally? Especially for Best Conditioned, I'd LOVE to get something like a round of Adequan or Legend. I don't know what your budget is, but I don't think the "generic"* Adequan is that pricey for 25 ml is it?

I know it doesn't have the same sentimental tug as a cooler, but it would certainly be useful.

*I know there's no REAL generic Adequan.
    ------------------------------
    Life Goes On

Cooler. Even if they don't fit, they look lovely draped on a blanket rack, especially at shows/ horse trials.

As a former owner of said horse and the organizer of the T3DE for IEA, I want to thank you for thinking of this award.

He was a special guy.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie8 View Post
    Personally? Especially for Best Conditioned, I'd LOVE to get something like a round of Adequan or Legend. I don't know what your budget is, but I don't think the "generic"* Adequan is that pricey for 25 ml is it?

I know it doesn't have the same sentimental tug as a cooler, but it would certainly be useful.

*I know there's no REAL generic Adequan.
    Would you as the donor be willing to take responsibility if the horse had an adverse reaction to your prize? Not to be a downer, but drugs as prizes? Mmmm, no.

3 members found this post helpful.

Maggie, you rock I love the idea of a memorial to Will! The chair sounds awesome! I like the SmartPak option with a grooming tote (Smart Purple?). Very classy gesture on your part.
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

The director chair is a great idea. My horse might be Best Conditioned, but I probably am not!

There are some places that make custom wooden-handled grooming brushes. Maybe "IEA T3DE Best Conditioned" "In memory of Will" on them? I love having nice (clean!) brushes for shows. Getting new brushes means that I can make the old show brushes my daily brushes and my daily brushes for days that the mare decides to be a pig!

In any direction you go, I think it's a great idea for the memory of your boy. He sounds like he was pretty special.
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

Quote Originally Posted by asterix View Post
    As someone who owns a great big horse and has won things like coolers and halters that do not fit, I would vote for the chair as well.
    Or maybe a horsey heart monitor?
    As someone on the opposite end of the spectrum (ran T3D last year on 14h Arab), I second the request for something that doesn't need to be the right size. Just no way to use a 78 cooler on a 66 horse.

Aww... this is a really lovely gesture.

How much would it cost to have a ribbon made? A really pretty purple one? Or would that be too confusing with 7th place? Maybe purple and black streamers?

You can get GORGEOUS, jaw-dropping ribbons--even single ones--for about $20 with any imprint on them you want. I got 3 matching ones with Gwen's name on them for her retirement party--one for each of the ammy riders she cheerfully hauled from Novice up to Preliminary.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Would you as the donor be willing to take responsibility if the horse had an adverse reaction to your prize? Not to be a downer, but drugs as prizes? Mmmm, no.
    An adverse reaction to a gift certificate?

I was simply suggesting something useful as an option. I gave away an award for 3 years at VHT in memorial of Ozzy, and the coolers WERE gorgeous, but we also ordered them to size so waited to see who won to do so. I don't see any reason you couldn't give the winner a choice.
    ------------------------------
    Life Goes On

Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie8 View Post
    An adverse reaction to a gift certificate?

I was simply suggesting something useful as an option. I gave away an award for 3 years at VHT in memorial of Ozzy, and the coolers WERE gorgeous, but we also ordered them to size so waited to see who won to do so. I don't see any reason you couldn't give the winner a choice.
    What does a gift certificate have to do with "I'd LOVE to get something like a round of Adequan or Legend."

I got no beef with gift certificates. I do think giving away pharmaceuticals as prizes is iffy. Call me conservative.

I love the idea of a chair. Have too many halters that don't fit, coolers that don't fit. . .

Chair!!

Or, maybe some beef? Because Delta's got no beef...

You could have an annual hamburger barbeque, where the winners from past years get to bring their Special Chairs, and be served their hamburger plate...