The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Am I the only who doesn't like "horsey" clothes?

From the thread with the zulily sale, lots of cute tops I would probably like to buy, the fit looks comfortable and flattering.

Only I'm NOT buying because of the pretty little ponies on the front. Yark. And these are adult clothes.

Am I the only one who doesn't like to wear horsey clothes? I don't mean breeches, I mean tees or hoodies or hats with the large horse designs, usually some sort of flowy type of art? Doesn't it just seem...childish? But obviously people buy them, because they are selling.

Maybe I am just a party pooper.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

9 members found this post helpful.

i wear stuff with non-kiddie horsie designs, but only on t-shirts and usually to the barn or the gym. one favorite: a shirt with a dressage rider on it and the admonition "go take a test."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Nope! Not the only one! I do not own anything with a horse on it (unless you count my vintage T shirt advertizing a Ford Pinto!).

I do not like it.. not my taste – also do not wear those T shirts with the lightning bolts and howling wolves

My mother in law buys me anything she can find with a horse on it… or kitty cats, because I have two cats, it must mean I am the crazy cat lady and want to wear T-shirts with kittens on them.

So no, you are not alone!

8 members found this post helpful.

I don't like anything that looks too loud or juvenile (to/for me), but I do wear certain pendants and the like or the odd shirt that is either more subdued or feels more art-y than juvenile.

Example of one that is pretty bold, but that I would wear:

http://www.backinthesaddle.com/itemd...83&T1=B42298+S

but something like these would not be my taste:

http://www.backinthesaddle.com/itemd...83&T1=B42404+S

http://www.backinthesaddle.com/itemd...&T1=B42752+XXL

Still, if anyone else wants to wear the more idealized stuff, I don't think it's the ultimate in poor taste or anything, just not something I would like for myself. So, no, you aren't the only one, though maybe you are more conservative than I am in re: to horsey wear!
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

Well, I wear one horse pendant all the time. But other than that, I have a blue t-shirt I break out every now and then from the 1996 Paralympics where I was a groom, obviously has a couple horse logos on it (one on the front where a pocket WOULD be, and then sponsors on the back). Beyond that? Nope.

Though as you can tell from the picture, DH wears horsey shirts almost all the time.

Ugh me too. I usually dislike horse designs on clothing or tatoo`s and even most artwork. Honestly I think because horses are a dificult animal to draw properly - they come out with too many conformation faults lol.

5 members found this post helpful.

No, I don't own anything with a horse on it. LOL those shirts with the "lightning bolts and howling wolves" make me giggle. However, I am sort of obsessed with this shirt from Joules, but I don't think I'll actually get it since I don't think I'll ever be bold enough to wear it.

http://www.equusnow.com/products/sal...ersey-top.html

Cute picture, OP! BTW I envy you living on Whidbey Island. My father loved that place (and Whidbey's liqueur -- is that still made?), though I have sadly never been.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

Default Me neither

I don't generally wear clothing w/imagery on it. I have big boobs and that usually distorts the image.

But if I believed in showing my love through apparel, I could have shirts and dresses festooned w/ images of cake, shoes and handbags––as well as horsies.
    Proud Rubenesquestrian

4 members found this post helpful.

i love cute barn clothes. I'm 44 but i feel young.

2 members found this post helpful.

No thanks. I have a t-shirt with "Eventers Rules" or something on it...but I only wear screen print t-shirts around the house...very, very rarely do the see public light. I have a few polos and a polar fleece with the farm's logo, which has a horse, which, obviously, is tasteful and I'm fine with that (though, I wear them around the horses...not on my "off time"). I've seen two dresses recently that I liked a lot that HAPPENED to have horses printed on them. But, I liked the cut and style of the dresses (note- I can't type dresses without typing dressage first! ). The pattern was very discreet and cute (navy background with small, white "ponies").

Otherwise, nope, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallycairn View Post
    Cute picture, OP! BTW I envy you living on Whidbey Island. My father loved that place (and Whidbey's liqueur -- is that still made?), though I have sadly never been.
    Thanks! That was actually a picture from our honeymoon on Little Cayman, hence the sunburns on our winter white skin...even though we BOTH did the tanning bed thing for two months to try to NOT get burned, and I was "exotically dark" for our March wedding.

Yes, I love WI. We're moving off the island in the future to prepare for DH's next "job" after he retires in 2017, but I'll still be working on the island. Never heard of the liqueur, may need to look into that...

Oh, I didn't think you were at home in the pic, I just see your location in your post headings!

Getting OT here, but it looks like Whidbey's it is still made!

http://whidbeydistillery.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bedazzle View Post
    No, I don't own anything with a horse on it. LOL those shirts with the "lightning bolts and howling wolves" make me giggle. However, I am sort of obsessed with this shirt from Joules, but I don't think I'll actually get it since I don't think I'll ever be bold enough to wear it.

http://www.equusnow.com/products/sal...ersey-top.html
    When i first saw that last year i said i HAD to have it but I know i'd rarely wear it because i'm no longer a child...but i still kind of want it.

edit: OH but have you seen these?! http://www.equusnow.com/products/sal...ley-welly.html i might actually get these...maybe....even though I said I was going to put myself on a no-buy for a while.....edit2: oh nevermind, they said they had an 8 but when i selected it, it said they didn't have it....what gives!
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

I can't wear any shirt with too much on the front, the girls are too big (did I share too much there?) and, yep, does distort the image, big time I might add.

Back when I was younger, I wore a lot of tshirts to the barn with horsey sayings and pictures. I'm not really a horse fashionista in the first place and like subdued and shabby chic, although I have been known to kick out in rockabilly. http://www.ebay.com/sch/Dresses-/638...abilly+dresses.

The one horse top I did love was a pullover I bought while in England or Scotland, don't remember where, and I wore it on the flight home. I got so many compliments walking through the airports and at the barn, once I got home. It was a dark green, can't think of the official name, and had a celtic horse in a circle on the front, not too big but just sized perfectly.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

I don't mind artistic/tattoo looking/line art horses... like the outline shapes on horse bumper stickers, that kind of thing. I don't like full on colored in horse anything. The only things I have like that are my animal shelter volunteer shirt and an old shirt from when I rode at Mt Holyoke College. I can't part with them and mainly just wear them when I go riding. I also will wear polos with a small logo on them... like Ralph Lauren's polo horse but with dressage or jumpers instead. I think those are classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallycairn View Post
    Oh my gosh, those are dreadful, the unicorns are missing their horns!

TheJenners I love your husband's t-shirt. Your necklace too.

um, no. I am personally not a fan of clothing with pics of animals on them, cutesy or artistic. If I am given one as a gift, they usually end up being worn as a barn shirt, as I don't mind them getting all shmeggy.

But, I am also the girl that listens to classical music and punk rock, can't stand country music or anything associated with cowboy stuff. Growing up riding in SoCal, you were either prim and proper English, or Country cowboy. I rode in Doc Martins and band tshirts... Even now as an (ahem) adult, I still can't bring myself to wear cutesy animal clothes. Just not me.

1 members found this post helpful.

Some yes, some no.
    Here's an example of my wear all the time "horsey" clothes

And an example of yuck! no way no how.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

My most comfy hoody is my "Edinburgh University Equestrian Club" one...but it actually doesn't have a horse on it. I got mine the year before they added the horse head logo, but I actually kinda like it. The only "horsey t shirt" I wear is grey with a dark grey logo depicting the Wyoming license plate symbol. I love it.

Obnoxious pink/bright print pony graphics - no thank you.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

1 members found this post helpful.