The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation Oh where is my little horses other testicle?!

Sorry for the cryptic title, I couldn't help it.

My mini turned two this spring and is still missing a testicle.

He has had impeccable manners with people and horses alike combined with triple registration and excellent bloodlines...because of that I would like to keep him a stud if at all possible. (Unless he takes a behavior turn) If it turns out he has a testicle that will not descend, I was going to have the surgery done to remove it and geld him.

So my question is two fold, I have heard conflicting things about breeding a stud and health risks of leaving an undescended testicle in tact....what are the risks in this?

And two, should I be concerned that his other testicle is still missing on action?!

Unfortunately, late droppers are not uncommon amongst minis, since in the past, when the primary goal was the smallest size possible, late dropping of testicles was considered a minor flaw (as long as the horse was not being shown). It is not at all desirable, but there are many out there that drop as late as four years and beyond, so chances are good your guy will eventually present all of his jewels.

I personally would not breed a late dropper, as this only perpetuates the problem.
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

4 members found this post helpful.

This is very common in minis.

It might not be so common if people quit breeding horses that took 3+ years to drop. Just IMHO.

I have a very nice AMHR/ASPC colt that dropped at 6mo, is bred to the hilt, and nice enough to be very competitive in halter. But he doesn't have the movement to win at a national level in performance classes. Plus i cant afford to campaign him heavily. He gets gelded next month. There are sooooo many mini stallions that are the total package- mind breeding looks movement and show record- why keep a stallion that doesn't have it all?

3 members found this post helpful.

"CRYPTIC" title! ZOMG LOLOLOLOL.

You crack me up, Hunter Kid

In all seriousness, cryptochordism (or monochordism, in this case) does seem to have a genetic propensity, so unless the colt is the second coming (like AP Indy, whose foals earned over $122 MILLION dollars) he should be gelded.

There is also a significantly increased risk of developing testicular cancer in the descended testicle if it is retained.

1 members found this post helpful.

Aw, you beat me to the "cryptic/cryptorchid" thing!

Best unintentional pun of the YEAR!

Thank so much for your replies. You're confirming my thoughts that it would be in his best interest to geld him. I would never want to breed any horse unless they "had it all." And I think he will end up being 100 times happier gelded. No funky hormones to battle with.

And was dying laughing reading your responses to the cryptic/crypto thing....I didn't originally do it on purpose but came back to reread and realized what I had posted.

Sometimes the vet can just push the testicle down to get it to drop. And there's a drug, forget the name, that the vet can use with success most of the time to get the testicle to drop. Vets have said that having that testicle still up in the body can cause cancer.

Otherwise, the surgery is more complicated when gelding, but isn't too difficult.

We warmbloods boarded with a little pony who, unbeknownst to his "expert horseman" owner, had a testicle. He was fine, well-behaved, and a great little guy.

I had a horse whose missing testicle was located up near his kidney. It basically ended up being colic surgery getting that thing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    "CRYPTIC" title! ZOMG LOLOLOLOL.

You crack me up, Hunter Kid

In all seriousness, cryptochordism (or monochordism, in this case) does seem to have a genetic propensity, so unless the colt is the second coming (like AP Indy, whose foals earned over $122 MILLION dollars) he should be gelded.

There is also a significantly increased risk of developing testicular cancer in the descended testicle if it is retained.
    How do you know the testicle is missing? He's more likely a unilateral cryptorchid.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

I knew a "gelding" that bred a mare - 11 months later an (almost) exact duplicate (to the gelding not the stallion that was on the same farm) appeared. Turns out he had 1 undescended testicle - which made him more difficult to deal with and they ended up with a grade foal - all because they were never informed that the gelding had never dropped before he was "gelded".
    Sandy in Fla.